Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
ePub file icon?

The ePub format books which I have downloaded so far all show the generic Windows 'unknown file' icon when I open the My Digital Editions folder. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Or is there an icon for ePub files as there is for Mobipocket files?

If there is such an icon how do I get the ebooks to show it?

The books open without problem with ADE.

Regards, Alex

Edit: I'm using Windows XP SP3

Last edited by AlexBell; 08-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The ePub format books which I have downloaded so far all show the generic Windows 'unknown file' icon
Same here!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
theres no official one but this would look ok

http://blog.threepress.org/2008/10/07/epub-logos/
or

http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Here's one i've just made with paint Change the extension to ico and your done.
Name:  epub-logo-color-book.bmp
Views: 11777
Size:  90.8 KB

Last edited by A4-; 08-13-2009 at 01:30 AM.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
Thanks to you both. Now that I've downloaded the examples how do I 'attach' them to the ebooks?

Regards, Alex
Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
In Explorer choose "Folder options" under Tools, then "New". When You have it in that list click "Advanced to change the icon.Click image for larger version

Name:	folderopts.JPG
Views:	1455
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	34123
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again, A4- that's most helpful.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Here is the one I use. Just unzip it. It is not big but the attachment feature won't let me upload an .ico file.

Dale
Attached Files
File Type: zip epub.zip (1.6 KB, 1781 views)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Here is the one I use. Just unzip it. It is not big but the attachment feature won't let me upload an .ico file.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I'll see if I can make that one work. The others are png files which I renamed ico, but Windows wouldn't accept them.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Dale. I'll see if I can make that one work. The others are png files which I renamed ico, but Windows wouldn't accept them.

Regards, Alex
It should work. It does on my windows machine. the free download called IrfanView can convert to .ico format. That is how I built the file. I have to edit it quite a bit to make it look proper.

Dale
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
It should work. It does on my windows machine. the free download called IrfanView can convert to .ico format. That is how I built the file. I have to edit it quite a bit to make it look proper.

Dale
Thanks again, Dale. Yes, it worked without any problem.

I've since found out that one must save png (and presumably jpgs and gifs) to the windows ico format to make them work, not just rename the file.

I used PMView which I've been using since my OS/2 days.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks again, Dale. Yes, it worked without any problem.

I've since found out that one must save png (and presumably jpgs and gifs) to the windows ico format to make them work, not just rename the file.

I used PMView which I've been using since my OS/2 days.

Regards, Alex
I too am a long time OS/2 users from 2.1 through 3.0. I really liked that OS. Try Irfanview, I am sure you will like it.

Dale
Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

By the way if you really want to go all the way consider the wiki articleThumbnails. You can use it to show the covers of your ePUB books while exploring the folders in windows.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
The other option is to just use the icon that's included with ADE, but that isn't actually linked to .epub files (for some reason).

To do this, open an Explorer window, then select Tools > Folder Options. Click the File Types tab, then scroll down to the EPUB/EPUB File extension, select it, then click the Advanced button. Click the Change Icon button, navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions then select digitaleditions.exe. In the window that opens, select the first icon, click OK > OK > Close. You may need to refresh the window contents (F5) or log out then back in for changes to take effect.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
I too am a long time OS/2 users from 2.1 through 3.0. I really liked that OS. Try Irfanview, I am sure you will like it.

Dale
It was great, wasn't it. Window's eventual victory was yet another example of the triumph of marketing over excellence.

I'll go looking for Irfanview after I've finished here. I'm not ready to go as far as Scruffy, though.

Regards, Alex