Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
itfs
itfs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is it possible to install a custom dictionary in Kindle for PC?

I have created some custom dictionaries for my Paperwhite. They work perfectly. However, when I add them to Kindle for PC, they just appear as regular e-books and I can not find them among the available dictionaries. How can I fix this?
itfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe K4PC does support custom dictionaries, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Renaming custom dictionary to filename of downloaded build-in/free download dictionaries used to work on Kindle for Android. Maybe try that?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You may be able to open and search third party dictionaries, but they won't function for direct lookup from another book. That said, you are on a PC: you can look things up with browser or whatever.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Renaming custom dictionary to filename of downloaded build-in/free download dictionaries used to work on Kindle for Android. Maybe try that?
Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work with the Kindle for PC app, you'll also have to change/add the ASIN number(s).

@itfs:

You can override any of the existing default dictionaries with your own dictionary.

1. Download Java Mobi Metadata Editor and open the dictionary that you want to replace to find out its ASIN number. (It's usually the first part of the file name.) Let's assume you want to replace the NOA English dictionary. (It's ASIN number is B003ODIZL6.)

2. Open your custom dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor, click the plus sign, select Type 113 and enter B003ODIZL6; enter the same value for Type 504.

3. Save the updated dictionary and rename it to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.azw. Locate the existing NOA English dictionary in the My Kindle Documents folder and delete it, including the .phl and .mbp files.

4. Copy your dictionary to the My Kindle Documents folder.

The next time you select the NOA English dictionary, you should get the definitions from your dictionary.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
itfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work with the Kindle for PC app, you'll also have to change/add the ASIN number(s).

@itfs:

You can override any of the existing default dictionaries with your own dictionary.

1. Download Java Mobi Metadata Editor and open the dictionary that you want to replace to find out its ASIN number. (It's usually the first part of the file name.) Let's assume you want to replace the NOA English dictionary. (It's ASIN number is B003ODIZL6.)

2. Open your custom dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor, click the plus sign, select Type 113 and enter B003ODIZL6; enter the same value for Type 504.

3. Save the updated dictionary and rename it to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.azw. Locate the existing NOA English dictionary in the My Kindle Documents folder and delete it, including the .phl and .mbp files.

4. Copy your dictionary to the My Kindle Documents folder.

The next time you select the NOA English dictionary, you should get the definitions from your dictionary.
Great! It works perfectly!
I'm updating my custom dictionary often. Is there a way to add the ASIN number in the opf file?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itfs View Post
Great! It works perfectly!
I'm updating my custom dictionary often. Is there a way to add the ASIN number in the opf file?
If you're familiar with batch files/shell scripts and Python you might be able to use KevinH's dualmetafix.py script.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
itfs

Quote:
If you're familiar with batch files/shell scripts and Python you might be able to use KevinH's dualmetafix.py script.
Thank you! I'll give it a try :-)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
The workaround via "Java Mobi Metadata Editor" still works today, thanks!

Was confused whether it does as I apparently did not follow the post correctly at first.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
Kindle101
Kindle101 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 View Post
The workaround via "Java Mobi Metadata Editor" still works today, thanks!

Was confused whether it does as I apparently did not follow the post correctly at first.
Hi everyone,

I tried following the steps posted by Doitsu and it is not working for me.

In my case, I picked the German pre-selected dictionary to replace with my Collins dictionary file. Even though I follow the steps, Kindle attempts to download the German dictionary until it reaches 91% and then it stalls (because my file already exists).

My file is a valid dictionary file. The only step I couldn't follow is to delete the .mbp file as there are no .mbp files! I did delete the relevant .azw and .phl files.

Do you have any tips for me please?!!!
Kindle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #11
Kindle101

Does anyone have any ideas please? I'm trying to read a french book on Kindle for PC but having to exit to google transactions in the dictionary is a real drag!

Thanks a mil!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle101 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas please? I'm trying to read a french book on Kindle for PC but having to exit to google transactions in the dictionary is a real drag!
I just re-tested the method by replacing the monolingual French dictionary with the default Oxford French-English dictionary and it still works.

Try the following:

1. Open a book with the Kindle for PC app.
2. Double-click a random word and click Dictionary. In the Dictionary dialog box, click the cogwheel icon and select Dictionnaire français Cordial.
3. Close the Kindle for PC app once the download is completed.
4. Open the My Kindle Content folder. There should be a B005F12G6U_EBOK folder with 3 files in it (B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw, B005F12G6U_EBOK.mbp and B005F12G6U_EBOK.phl).
5. Delete the three files.
6. Copy your French dictionary to the folder and open it with Mobi Meta Editor.
7. Click Language and make sure that the Dictionary Input/Output fields don't have Unknown (0) values. (If your dictionary doesn't have valid Dictionary Input/Output values, you can't use it.)
8. Add/change the following entries:
113 (ASIN) B005F12G6U
501 (ASIN) B005F12G6U
(If these entries don't exist, click the + button to add them.)
9. Click Save and close Mobi Meta Editor.
10. Rename the updated dictionary to B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw.

If you followed the above instructions, you should be able to use your custom dictionary with the Kindle for PC app.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Kindle101

Hi Doitsu,

Thanks very much - I followed the below but I'm still having difficulties. Are you using Kindle for PC version 1.25.1?

The Kindle for PC app still attempts to download the monolingual dictionary and then stalls at 98%.

I was watching the files in the registry as it installs - it creates a new .mbp file and attempts to create a new .phl file but doesn't succeed.

Doitsu when you click into the B005F12G6U_EBOK folder do you have three files including .mbp and .phl or just the .azw file?

Here are my notes on the steps below - if you had any other tips I could try that would be fantastic!

Quote:
I just re-tested the method by replacing the monolingual French dictionary with the default Oxford French-English dictionary and it still works.

Try the following:

1. Open a book with the Kindle for PC app. Done
2. Double-click a random word and click Dictionary. In the Dictionary dialog box, click the cogwheel icon and select Dictionnaire français Cordial. Done
3. Close the Kindle for PC app once the download is completed.Done
4. Open the My Kindle Content folder. There should be a B005F12G6U_EBOK folder with 3 files in it (B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw, B005F12G6U_EBOK.mbp and B005F12G6U_EBOK.phl). Done -.mbp is a hidden file
5. Delete the three files. Done
6. Copy your French dictionary to the folder and open it with Mobi Meta Editor. Done
7. Click Language and make sure that the Dictionary Input/Output fields don't have Unknown (0) values. (If your dictionary doesn't have valid Dictionary Input/Output values, you can't use it.) Done
8. Add/change the following entries:
113 (ASIN) B005F12G6U
501 (ASIN) B005F12G6U
(If these entries don't exist, click the + button to add them.)
Done - changed 504 instead of 501 as above
9. Click Save and close Mobi Meta Editor. Done
10. Rename the updated dictionary to B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw.
Done - I have tried this within the Mobi Meta Editor and by right click and rename
Old 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you using Kindle for PC version 1.25.1?
No, I used Kindle 1.23.1

Quote:
Doitsu when you click into the B005F12G6U_EBOK folder do you have three files including .mbp and .phl or just the .azw file?
Yes. After the initial download there should be three files in it. (You'll need to download the monolingual dictionary at least once.)

Quote:
Done - changed 504 instead of 501 as above
You're correct. It should be 504 (ASIN) B005F12G6U.

Quote:
Done - I have tried this within the Mobi Meta Editor and by right click and rename.
Don't rename anything in Mobi Meta Editor. Just add/change the two metadata entries then click Save. Mobi Meta Editor will save the new file as xxxxx_new.mobi. (xxx is the original file name).
Rename xxxxx_new.mobi to B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw and delete/move the original xxxxx.mobi. Open B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw with Mobi Meta Editor and double-check the ASIN entries. If they're OK, the dictionary should work, if the original mobi file works as a dictionary on eInk Kindles.

BTW, you can also test your custom dictionary with the old Mobipocket Reader app, which is compatible with Windows 10. (You'll need to change the file extension to .mobi or .prc.)
If your custom dictionary works with Mobipocket Reader 6.2, it should work with the Kindle for PC app.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #15
Kindle101

Hi Doitsu,

I tried uninstalling 1.25 and replaced it with 1.23 but I get the same issue.

I have a screenprint of the mobiMeta Editor for the dictionary file below having made the two changes.

https://imgur.com/a/iOyUwPH

I notice that 501 is EBSP and not EBOK like it is in the other dictionaries. I wonder does this have an impact?

Doitsu, when you open your updated dictionary for the first time - does it 'download' or does it open automatically? And if you look at the B005F12G6U folder afterwards in 'My Kindle Content' folder do you just have the .azw file?

Quote:
Don't rename anything in Mobi Meta Editor. Just add/change the two metadata entries then click Save. Mobi Meta Editor will save the new file as xxxxx_new.mobi. (xxx is the original file name).
Rename xxxxx_new.mobi to B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw and delete/move the original xxxxx.mobi. Open B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw with Mobi Meta Editor and double-check the ASIN entries.
My version of Mobi Meta Editor automatically creates another .azw file instead of a .mobi file - see screenprint - I don't know does this have any significance?

https://imgur.com/a/hkW0Cxs

I simply renamed it "B005F12G6U_EBOK" as it is already a .azw file.

What do you think?

Last edited by Kindle101; 01-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.