Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
rapper10
rapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerapper10 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PRS505, K3, PW
collections on the Reader

I have all my books filed in collections on my 505. Is there a way for the Reader to automatically alphabetize the books in a collection. When something is added, it automatically goes to the bottom of the list; the Reader seems to sort on date added. Right now, I have to delete everything from the Reader and then reload with the new adds to get an alphabetized list.
rapper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
You can sort the order they appear in, using eLibrary. Whatever order they show in there will be the same as in the reader. Highlight the collection, then you can sort by title, author, date (by clicking the headings in eLibrary) or use your own order by dragging them up and down the collection list. I do this all the time so I can put books in series orders. really handy
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
You can sort the order they appear in, using eLibrary. Whatever order they show in there will be the same as in the reader. Highlight the collection, then you can sort by title, author, date (by clicking the headings in eLibrary) or use your own order by dragging them up and down the collection list. I do this all the time so I can put books in series orders. really handy
Am I the only one finding that the sorting feature doesn't work in version 2.5 of the Sony Library? I see books sorted one way in the PC software, but they are not sorted that way on my Reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Am I the only one finding that the sorting feature doesn't work in version 2.5 of the Sony Library? I see books sorted one way in the PC software, but they are not sorted that way on my Reader.
Well, no help from Sony either. Just got this response:

I'm sorry for any inconvenience you're experiencing. The issue you describe requires more extensive troubleshooting and communication than can be effectively handled via e-mail. Please contact our telephone support staff who will be happy to provide further diagnosis and assistance at: (866) 962-7669 or (239) 768-7669 Intl.

Any suggestions from youse guys? I hate spending hours on the phone and ending up being told to nuke all my collections and start over. I searched for other threads on this but the one I found didn't offer a solution.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What you do is double click on Reader in the left pain of eBook Library. Then click on the collection you want to sort. Just drag each title up or down and it will be placed in the order you want. It works quite well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you do is double click on Reader in the left pain of eBook Library. Then click on the collection you want to sort. Just drag each title up or down and it will be placed in the order you want. It works quite well.
Right, thanks. I've done that, and I see the collections sorted in the order I want in the Library. The problem is that when I disconnect the Reader, the collections are no longer sorted on the Reader in the same order that they're sorted in the Library.

In older versions of the Library, the sort order of the collections as seen in the Library would "stick" on the Reader when it was disconnected.

Sorry I'm not explaining this well. My brain has atrophied since I gave up engineering.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I broke down and deleted the Sony Library (including all the hidden files/directories), reinstalled it, reformatted the Reader, and created the library and collections over again. No luck. I see one sort order in the library, and a different sort order in the Reader.

Minor annoyance, but frustrating.

If Calibre let me sort items on the Reader, I'd switch over.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have version 2.5 and, sad to say, I just never took any notice of how the books were sorted in my reader collections. I was only focused on having them in the correct collection folder.

Now that you have brought this up, it is something that I will have to check out the next time that I set up the collections. (Later rather than sooner as I have just reloaded my Reader.)

Maybe someone will chime in and give us a hint
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I probably have too many books in my Reader. It makes things wonky.

I do know how the eLibrary is *supposed* to work:

1. Click on the Collection you want to sort at the top of the left-hand pane.
2. Make sure the drop-down for Sort Order is set to Manually (this drop down is in the top right of the book list window).
3. Drag the titles into the order you prefer.
4. Assuming the collection is Synched, the book sort will "sync" to the Reader or Card.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
I do know how the eLibrary is *supposed* to work:

1. Click on the Collection you want to sort at the top of the left-hand pane.
2. Make sure the drop-down for Sort Order is set to Manually (this drop down is in the top right of the book list window).
3. Drag the titles into the order you prefer.
4. Assuming the collection is Synched, the book sort will "sync" to the Reader or Card.
As usual the clunky and primitive Sony eBook Library does not work in the manner it is supposed to. On mine (version 2.5) the drop down sort order shows 11 options for sorting, however all but five are greyed out including the one I want to use "Manual".

Any suggestions?
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

The "Manually" option is grayed out until you:

1. click on a collection name in the left hand pane
2. have at least 2 titles in the collection

The other options, like Artist, are grayed out unless you're viewing a collection that has titles with that info available (e.g. music)
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Crikey!! It works

Thanks (its still a clunky and primitive program though)
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
Crikey!! It works

Thanks (its still a clunky and primitive program though)
Glad I could help answer one question on this forum.

No question it's a strange beast. The UI is pretty bizarre -- and I worked in UI for many a year so it's a rare piece of software I can't figure out.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Is a memory card needed?

I tried to create collections and found that the help indicates you can only do this with a memory card?
Is that right?
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Nope, you can create collections on the eLibrary, then sync them to either a card or to the Reader's memory. I do both.