Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Multiple Choice - Which time period should we use for nominations this month?
BCE 1 8.33%
1-1000 1 8.33%
1001-1500 2 16.67%
1501-1800 1 8.33%
1801-1900 9 75.00%
1901-1920 6 50.00%
1921-1940 6 50.00%
1941-1960 2 16.67%
1961-1980 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I nominate Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, 1856.

I second The Luck of Barry Lyndon. One of my favourite films ever. And Vanity Fair is an excellent novel, so this nomination really piqued my interest.

fantasyfan, you beat me to Conrad! Seeing the direction of the poll last night, I was considering early Conrad - except Heart of Darkness I love that novel but it's the one Conrad I've already read.

I'll update the first post in the next few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Well, we could presumably decide to do that still - just have a run-off vote for 1801-1850 or 1851-1900. Would that be feasible?
It's an idea, but not for this month since we're already in the middle of nominations (and, as Hamlet mentioned, we do have plenty of periods already as it is).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Barry Lyndon and second Madame Bovary.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
fantasyfan, you beat me to Conrad! Seeing the direction of the poll last night, I was considering early Conrad - except Heart of Darkness I love that novel but it's the one Conrad I've already read.
Any particular Conrad in mind? Just having a glance through, the obvious picks seem to be:

Almayer's Folly, his first novel and An Outcast of the Islands, his second novel.

After Heart of Darkness there was Lord Jim, just on the cusp of our selection criteria.

Not sure if I'll participate in this one. My mouth was watering looking at all the famous works from this century, but I've already read a couple this year and I'm feeling like I need to focus on more modern books for a while.

So I'll spare Hamlet53 my H G Wells nomination and Issybird my many Russian nominations. But if I were to join, I would probably nominate Quo Vadis, Ben Hur or The Beetle.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Third Madame Bovary.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have never read Barry Lyndon and would not mind giving that a go. So I will second it.

I will nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett.

"The Country of the Pointed Firs is an 1896 short story sequence by Sarah Orne Jewett which is considered by some literary critics to be her finest work. Henry James described it as her "beautiful little quantum of achievement." Because it is loosely structured, many critics view the book not as a novel, but a series of sketches; however, its structure is unified through both setting and theme. The novel can be read as a study of the effects of isolation and hardship experienced by the inhabitants of the decaying fishing villages along the Maine coast." from Wikipedia

It is available in the MR library.

Also in audio form at LibriVox.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So while I was preparing my post . . .. If Barry Lyndon only requires three endorsements does that mean I can have mine back?

PS, read Heart of Darkness last year, and was a little disappointed in it relative to the hype. But it would be an interesting book to discuss.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So while I was preparing my post . . .. If Barry Lyndon only requires three endorsements does that mean I can have mine back?.
It needs four, so you've put it over the top.

I can't resist saying that I live only about ten miles from Sarah Orne Jewett's house and drive by it frequently. I've read both Country of the Pointed Firs and Madame Bovary and while I'd enthusiastically reread either, at this stage with only one nomination left, I wait on developments.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
OK, the clock is ticking with only a little over two days left to nominate, so in the absence of any consensus or a ruling from Fearless Leader, I'm going to go ahead with a suggestion.

I nominated The American Senator by Trollope in the main club last month; it had some traction in the voting and I still think it has merit, so I'm repeating it here.

Public domain, of course. Available here at MR; if people don't want to convert to ePub it's also available at Manybooks. Free audio at LibriVox.

I gotta lot of ideas, so if no one else jumps in, I'll subject you all to more of them!

I'll note two things: one, that the club anniversary is coming up, and categories can be rejiggered for next year, if people think the nineteenth century is getting short shrift.

Two, I think the idea behind both the region and time period categories is to force people outside their comfort zones. Sooner or later (perhaps later, as Hamlet points out), we should have covered the globe and the (linguistic) history of mankind.
They could also download the Mobi file and run it through Calibre to convert it to epub. Or from epub to Mobi format. Very simple.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'll nominate R. Kipling's Captains Courageous. It was published in 1897, is in PD and is available here at MR.
Captain's Courageous
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think I have counted votes correctly, but apologies if not!

Second The American Senator.
Second The Country of Pointed Firs.
Third Heart of Darkness.

And like issybird, I'll await developments for my fourth vote.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Oy vey; I have a new computer and I'm discovering right now that text boxes aren't working properly. When editing the first post, when I scroll and click a spot in the text to edit and start typing, crazy things happen. A major one is that as soon as I begin typing, the scrollable box jumps to the end of the text and I can't see what I'm typing unless it's at the end of the text that's showing in the box. This is a right pain when adding seconds and thirds to nominations higher up in the text and makes moving a fully nominated work almost impossible! I'm on a Mac and this never happened on my old Mac....if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this (and I've just spent a long while searching through Safari preferences and computer preferences and google searching the problem with no luck) help would be appreciated!

Anyway, onto other posts, I hope putting all these responses in one post isn't too confusing, but there's a lot to respond to and this is the easiest way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I must admit being a bit puzzled about ths period- voting, but that would be due to my ignorance of the discussion that preceded it?
Billi explained it well, and just to give a little more info, these kind of pre-nomination polls happen for two categories currently - Time Period and Region. It's just the simplest and quickest way for the group to choose a particular time period or region for the month before we start nominations. These different sort of categories are meant for variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll note two things: one, that the club anniversary is coming up, and categories can be rejiggered for next year, if people think the nineteenth century is getting short shrift.

Two, I think the idea behind both the region and time period categories is to force people outside their comfort zones. Sooner or later (perhaps later, as Hamlet points out), we should have covered the globe and the (linguistic) history of mankind.
That's a nice way to put it.

Relating to what Hamlet53 said, it would be nice if we could have these categories more often so that we'd go through the options faster, but there's so many other good categories as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Any particular Conrad in mind? Just having a glance through, the obvious picks seem to be:

Almayer's Folly, his first novel and An Outcast of the Islands, his second novel.

After Heart of Darkness there was Lord Jim, just on the cusp of our selection criteria.
You got me! Those three were exactly the ones that I was considering. I was leaning more towards Lord Jim because it's generally said that it's a better novel than the earlier ones, but I admit that reading about each one, the plots of the earlier two interested me more. I was also looking at the Narcissus novel, and read a couple of places that it would possibly be read more often today if it didn't have a vulgar title (it was given other names, but apparently they didn't stick...unlike the situation with Christie's Ten Little Indians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So while I was preparing my post . . .. If Barry Lyndon only requires three endorsements does that mean I can have mine back?
As issybird said, it needed four, and your support of it was good as the fourth.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #27
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I nominate Eline Vere by Louis Couperus
Free from Gutenberg.http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19563
Not free from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=Eline%20Vere

Louis Couperus (1863-1923) is arguably the greatest Dutch novelist. He made his name at home and in the English speaking countries with psychological novels such as The books of the small souls, The hidden force and Old people and the things that pass.

(This novel is situated in The Hague. It was a great hit in these days. At the time of the installments in the daily newspaper, people asked each other: 'did you hear what happened to Eline Vere?)

The naturalistic novel, first published in a daily newspaper (1888-1889), instantly established Couperus as a household name in the Netherlands. It has been in print ever since. In Dutch, there have been about thirty editions until 2010, two adaptations for the theatre and one for film. Composer Alexander Voormolen dedicated his Nocturne for Eline (1957) to the protagonist of the novel. It has been translated into English (twice), into Norwegian and into Urdu.
After the publication of the translation by Ina Rilke, the book was reviewed in The Scotsman in 2010: "Couperus is a fine, driving storyteller even when he's off telling fairy stories in some symbolist landscape as in the rather mimsy Psyche. He wrote Eline Vere for serialisation, so it has the energy of the great Victorian novels without the melodrama, something astounding spread over 600 careful pages. ... Rediscovered novels usually make you realise why they were lost in the first place, but Eline Vere is an exception: a pleasure we've missed for far too long."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eline_Vere

Spoiler:
My experience of reading Eline Vere was a bit like watching a very good period drama series on the television. A sumptuous visual experience conjured up by descriptions of the vivid colours of dress and opulent surroundings of well-to-do members of Dutch society at the close of the 19th century. The narrative is frequently broken up by intimate tête-à- têtes between the different characters, sometimes philosophical, sometimes frivolous, occasionally candid and cutting. This creates the impression of multiple little scenes, so that although this is long book it is broken up into enjoyable and manageable segments.

http://novelinsights.wordpress.com/2...ouis-couperus/

Last edited by desertblues; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #28
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I third the Country of pointed firs
I third the American senator as I rather like Trollope

And I have one vote left, I think.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #29
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Fourth The american senator, second Elive Vere, fourth The heart of darkness, and think for my last nomination
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #30
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Not only for the sake of spreading literature from the middle of Europe into the world () I third Elive Vere.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote