Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
wttwoa
wttwoa began at the beginning.

Device: none
thinking of getting the nook simple touch

im thinking of buying the nook simple touch at walmart but i have a question about it, can i sideload my own books in epub format to the nook from calibre, and if i can do they show up as books or as documents?
wttwoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You can sideload them just fine and they show up as books.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
It is a good little reader. And since you don't seem to be spoiled by the way the Sony's automatically add books to series, you'll never miss it [I miss it a TON on my STR].
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
wttwoa

another thing i was wondering is if i could organize the books i have on the nook through calibre or not? my books were very unorganized last night until i sorted them all out making sure they all have the correct cover and metadata, but will by nook be able to pick this up and display the books in a organized fashion? im hoping i could just drag and drop when the nook is connected to my pc or have calibre do it automatically every time it detects the nook or i change anything to the books meta data or add/delete data.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Library management isn't Nook's strong suite... at all...
I LOVE it as a reading device, but library management leaves a lot to be desired.
I haven't had any problems with covers not showing up. That's the best I can say about it.
It doesn't pick up tags, like collections at all.
I don't have any problems with this, since I don't use my device as my library. I keep maybe 20 books at a time on it, so library organization isn't vital to me. But that's me! Others want to do things differently, and there is a "shelf" structure to use, but it's not automatic. And from what I have heard not completely reliable.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
wttwoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Library management isn't Nook's strong suite... at all...
I LOVE it as a reading device, but library management leaves a lot to be desired.
I haven't had any problems with covers not showing up. That's the best I can say about it.
It doesn't pick up tags, like collections at all.
I don't have any problems with this, since I don't use my device as my library. I keep maybe 20 books at a time on it, so library organization isn't vital to me. But that's me! Others want to do things differently, and there is a "shelf" structure to use, but it's not automatic. And from what I have heard not completely reliable.
if i drag and drop all of my library, would it keep the organization into the sub folders? here is how i have my books organized:

the main thing i dont want is just a pile of book into 1 folder on the nook with no way to telling which book is part of which series and not be able to tell if its book 1 or 2, etc. and im wanting to put all the books i have on it so i can read it at any time i want to as long as its charged.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

It's possible you can get that with a rooted Nook, but not "out of the box"
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wttwoa View Post
if i drag and drop all of my library, would it keep the organization into the sub folders? here is how i have my books organized:

the main thing i dont want is just a pile of book into 1 folder on the nook with no way to telling which book is part of which series and not be able to tell if its book 1 or 2, etc. and im wanting to put all the books i have on it so i can read it at any time i want to as long as its charged.
You can do this using the "My files" view. That will show just folders and files.

The NST has only 250 MB of memory for sideloaded books. If you need more memory, you will have to buy a micro-sd card.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
if i drag and drop all of my library, would it keep the organization into the sub folders?
I maintain all my books in a complex folder structure, several levels deep, on a Windows PC. Every so often I use FreeFileSync freeware to synchronise both a 16GB SD card and the Memory of my Nook Simple Touch. The folder structure is reproduced on my Nook. It works well.

I see no reason to use Calibre, apart from the odd conversion of a problematic eBook.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Wow! You're making your life very complicated by using your PC to organize your ebooks - in my opinion.

Calibre can organize your entire library with ease.

I used to do what you did, and I woke up screaming such obscenities as, "Cthulhu nagok-rak-uk! No! No!" Fortunately, a member here suggested I use calibre, and my nightmares have stopped.

There is, however, an occasional rumbling under my bed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
wttwoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Wow! You're making your life very complicated by using your PC to organize your ebooks - in my opinion.

Calibre can organize your entire library with ease.

I used to do what you did, and I woke up screaming such obscenities as, "Cthulhu nagok-rak-uk! No! No!" Fortunately, a member here suggested I use calibre, and my nightmares have stopped.

There is, however, an occasional rumbling under my bed.

Don
i have all of my books imported to calibre to edit metadata, but i thought the nook simple touch was one of the few e readers you couldnt use calibre with. if you can, is there a tutorial on the website on how to do so?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
i have all of my books imported to calibre to edit metadata, but i thought the nook simple touch was one of the few e readers you couldnt use calibre with. if you can, is there a tutorial on the website on how to do so?
To the best of my knowledge, Calibre has worked with the NST and the Glow for some time. I don't think any special action is required, though I'm not sure if there is still the issue about having some of the internal memory reserved for B&N-obtained books only.
There is a Calibre forum here where you search for more info.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
I've always used Calibre with my Nook Glow without a problem. It works in exactly the same way as my Kindle Keyboard does.

The only thing I wish is that there was a nice little picture of my Nook Glow instead of the generic Nook picture - that's probably something of a minor problem though.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
I, too, like the Nook as a reader but am surprised at how weak the library management is (for sideloaded books). I've used a couple of different approaches that might be helpful.

First, don't overlook the value of Calibre's ability to create a catalog of your library. This catalog can be created as an ePub itself- which you can then sideload to the Nook and read like any other book. In my catalog, I have my books indexed by author, title, and series. This is entirely my preference- you can customize that pretty well. This option won't let you click items from the catalog and open them directly but it's easy enough to locate the book I want in the catalog, close the catalog, then select the book from the Nook's shelf.

The more recent solution I've also been using again is based on Calibre's capabilities. (Don't have Calibre? I can't recommend it highly enough!) I have Calibre configured with a plugboard to add the series name and number to the book's title when sending the book to my Nook. This is just another way to group my series and is pretty easy to set up. So I might send The Fellowship of the Ring to the Nook and the title would appear as "Lord of the Rings-01-The Fellowship of the Ring". Subsequent books in the series would group sequentially based on the series index number.

tl;dr - Calibre is a great solution with a variety of library management options.

Good luck and stop back in the Calibre section of these forums with questions!
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I have mine organised in 'My Files' as folders grouped alphabetically i.e. 'A-C' , D - F' and so forth. In that folder, I can find all those letters authors folders alphabetically listed by surname and each authors folder contains books grouped by series and number. Initially I renamed each book file as series then number in that series, now I use calibre to do that. If it is a prolific author, I may also have some large series in a sub folder.
I find this easiest for me. I have all this stored on a micro SD card which I remove to a card reader when adding books and use drag and drop. My Nook ST and Color are both stock standard with no rooting etc.
pretty much everything on my readers is side loaded
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote