Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I read ebooks on a Tapwave Zodiac 2 PDA, a Palm OS device with a 320x480 screen.
Which is exactly the same resolution as the iPhone/iPod Touch, of course!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #32
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which is exactly the same resolution as the iPhone/iPod Touch, of course!
<blink>

Is it really? I'm not interested in an iPhone or Touch, and haven't kept up on the details, though I do recall comments from users that they have excellent screens.

The Nokia tablets have a screen of approximately the same size, but have 800x600 resolution. I'd love that for my device (and I suspect the ATI graphics chip it uses could do it), but again, it's not a problem that I don't have it.

BTW, Apple's 2.0 software update for the iPhone is apparently going to be available for the Touch as well.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
<blink>

Is it really? I'm not interested in an iPhone or Touch, and haven't kept up on the details, though I do recall comments from users that they have excellent screens.
Yes, that's why I'm always a little amused to hear people rave about how "wonderful" the iPhone/iPod Touch screen is. Sure, it's nice, but it's no better than practically any other modern Palm/Pocket PC machine of recent years.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's why I'm always a little amused to hear people rave about how "wonderful" the iPhone/iPod Touch screen is. Sure, it's nice, but it's no better than practically any other modern Palm/Pocket PC machine of recent years.
I agree. Palm OS is rather long in the tooth now, but when they first came out with the TX, I had hoped they would use that design as the basis for a new line of phones. Could have been well ahead of the game.

What did we get? The Centro.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
I agree. Palm OS is rather long in the tooth now, but when they first came out with the TX, I had hoped they would use that design as the basis for a new line of phones. Could have been well ahead of the game.

What did we get? The Centro.
I think Palm was fixated on the idea that a smartphone needed a thumbboard for email replies and SMS. I know other Palm users who would really like a Treo with a 320x480 screen. It will be interesting to see how many manufacturers start coming out with phones that have neither thumbbaord nor keypad in response to the iPhone.

I'm waiting to see what Palm OS II (or whatever they call it) based on a Linux kernel will look like. I'm also curious to see if Palm decides to use it in something that isn't a smartphone.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how many manufacturers start coming out with phones that have neither thumbbaord nor keypad in response to the iPhone.
I've had my "HTC Touch" WM6 "Smartphone" for the last year or so and that's purely a touch screen - no keypad or keyboard. Works just fine for me.