Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #46
Richy_T
Richy_T began at the beginning.

Device: kindles of all kinds
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Things like unexplained deliveries should be treated as a warning sign. The OP should be concerned where the fraudster procured their details from and whether other uses are being made of them. I doubt it was as simple as randomly picking from a phone book.
Definitely. Especially as not only does the scammer have the user's name and address but also, apparently, knew their Yahoo email address.
Richy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #47
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_T View Post
Definitely. Especially as not only does the scammer have the user's name and address but also, apparently, knew their Yahoo email address.
No... that was not my yahoo email. The first customer service rep I spoke with told me the email address associated with the other account began with the letter "x" and was @ yahoo.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you order a lot of stuff like I do, it's easy to open a package you shouldn't have received.
I wasn't saying not to open the package the items came it. I was saying not to open them item's packaging so if you eventually send them back, they will be sent back unopened.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #49
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I hate to spoil the party with my paranoia and cynicism, but what is "appropriate action" on the account? The letter uses what are often referred to as weasel words. "credentials" normally means more than just a name and address, and it is a stretch to describe them that way. The expression of puzzlement as to how the unauthorised party obtained these "credentials" may be appropriate to credit card details, passwords and the like but surely not to a publicly available address? To me it sounds like a very grudging we don't really believe you but we'll do something just to shut you up.

Although Amazon write they have taken action which hopefully will prove to have been appropriate, it seems to me that the people who have actually handled your response are sceptical of what you have told them. It is worth verifying both that they have closed the offending account and that your own legitimate account is unaffected.

The first response certainly shows part of the utility of the criminal sending a few small items to your actual address and the desirability of querying and returning such items. And even their executive support people demonstrate appalling ignorance of what is a common scam.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #50
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I wasn't saying not to open the package the items came it. I was saying not to open them item's packaging so if you eventually send them back, they will be sent back unopened.
Got it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #51
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I hate to spoil the party with my paranoia and cynicism, but what is "appropriate action" on the account? The letter uses what are often referred to as weasel words. "credentials" normally means more than just a name and address, and it is a stretch to describe them that way. The expression of puzzlement as to how the unauthorised party obtained these "credentials" may be appropriate to credit card details, passwords and the like but surely not to a publicly available address? To me it sounds like a very grudging we don't really believe you but we'll do something just to shut you up.

Although Amazon write they have taken action which hopefully will prove to have been appropriate, it seems to me that the people who have actually handled your response are sceptical of what you have told them. It is worth verifying both that they have closed the offending account and that your own legitimate account is unaffected.

The first response certainly shows part of the utility of the criminal sending a few small items to your actual address and the desirability of querying and returning such items. And even their executive support people demonstrate appalling ignorance of what is a common scam.
Yes, but at least copyrite has the email in case Amazon connects that account to their account.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #52
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oh, I realize that. I'm going to call back to see if I can find out if the other account still exists later in the week. I just don't have the time to do that right now (ya never know how long it might take!). I have the tracking address of the last package saved so they can look it up again for me.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #53
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Yes, but at least copyrite has the email in case Amazon connects that account to their account.
Exactly. It is good that copyrite now has everything so plainly on the record. It will make things that much easier in the unlikely event that there are future repercussions. Admittedly I am a little paranoid about this sort of thing and for this reason if it was me personally would like a confirmation that the fraudulent account has been closed.

Presumably any gift card balance will vanish into some sort of Amazon suspense account. Probably it should be refunded pro-rata to the victims or to their credit card issuers. though I can't see this happening. The sad fact is that most large companies including Banks regard this sort of fraud as just a cost of doing business, as they suspect that the cost of dealing with it would be far greater.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #54
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Here's a weird Amazon story for you.

In the past four months I've had three things come from Amazon that I didn't order with no other info coming with them. No one else in the family admitted to ordering them.

This morning I decided to call Amazon and see if they could give me a clue where these items came from. I gave the guy the tracking information from the package from yesterday, and this is where it got weird. He said it was from me. I said no way.

He asked if I had another Amazon account, to which I said no, asked if I had other email addresses (hah! doesn't everyone?), and said there was another Amazon account with my name, address, email address beginning with the letter "x" at yahoo.com (not one of my many email addresses). There is no phone number with the account. Said account does not have any of my credit cards on it, was created in June of 2016, and has made 18 purchases, all from gift cards, that have been sent to various addresses in the US, which included four to me, the first one was from last June, something I didn't remember even getting!

I asked CS how I could go about getting this account deleted and was told it couldn't be done. He eventually sent me to a supervisor who gave me the same run around, but said the two step-authentication I already have enabled is the best thing I could do, as not even CS can access my account without a code I give them.

If some strange person is going to use my name and send me things, can't they at least send me something I'll use?!?!
They may be using your social security number as well.
First I advise you to look into it (contact the IRS and Govt SSA )and by the way change all your passwords and use a unique one for each of your accounts.

Second don't store your info on line unless you encrypt it first. You are safer storing stuff at home under look and key in a fireproof box or in a safety deposit box because your online accounts can be breached.

Simple tricks can protect your passwords.
for example the password gzlizard35204 would be stored as gzlizard20435.

There are far more elaborate ways to generate and use passwords but that is for the "Master's Class."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #55
copyrite
Wizard

The other account is currently not active and is being reviewed by their Accounts department per CS. Better than nothing, I suppose. Will have to call for an update next week.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The other account is currently not active and is being reviewed by their Accounts department per CS. Better than nothing, I suppose. Will have to call for an update next week.
That's a step in the right direction. If it does manage to get closed, you should ask if the stuff bought with the bogus account should be sent back. Of course, Amazon should be footing the bill for the returns.

Good luck. I hope that account does get closed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #57
copyrite
Wizard

Update: The account is still inactive and in Review status. Why did I call? Because I got another package... some colorful carabiners... but at least they weren't from *me*. From someone in the grand ole state of Washington (who I don't know). That package is being refused and sent back. I was very relieved to hear it wasn't from me!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Update: The account is still inactive and in Review status. Why did I call? Because I got another package... some colorful carabiners... but at least they weren't from *me*. From someone in the grand ole state of Washington (who I don't know). That package is being refused and sent back. I was very relieved to hear it wasn't from me!
That is crazy. So scammer is now using someone else's identity but sending them to you.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #59
copyrite
Wizard

When I originally called Amazon about this issue and discovered the other account was in my name I was told there were 18 items sent to various addresses around the country, only four to me. Maybe the 'other me' sent an item to that person in Washington state and just returned the favor?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #60
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If USPS was used to deliver any of the packages, it's also Mail Fraud and should be reported to them as well.

The use of the mail service in any type of fraud is considered Mail Fraud.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote