Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #31
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
For Katsunami, I think the concern isn't the internet connection itself, it is the "in the US" part. Yes, a US internet address can be faked, but doing so is ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
... not legal, or at least not appropriate.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
For Katsunami, I think the concern isn't the internet connection itself, it is the "in the US" part.
This I think faking the internet connection wouldn't be much different than just downloading the free book from whatever site I can find it on, as in both ways I'd be getting the book at a place where I'm not allowed to get it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #33
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Go to some waiting room in an US embassy use your connection and everything is fine.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Go to some waiting room in an US embassy use your connection and everything is fine.
I *think* just buying the book would be cheaper than traveling to the US Embassy by train
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #35
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
The August book is available: The Just City by Jo Walton. Another good one!

(I needed to sign up again even though I had already signed up and downloaded last month's book.)
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #36
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
(I needed to sign up again even though I had already signed up and downloaded last month's book.)
It took me two tried using the "Confirm Details" button before it would accept my email as already signed-up.

I was able to download the EPUB, but when I try the MOBI I get a web page instead of the proper file. Aarrgh.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm getting very small file sizes -- epub= 590kb & mobi= 22kb. I downloaded it twice and still got the same results.

Any suggestions?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The ePub size is correct (at least, it's an actual ePub with all the contents in there, as far as I can tell). The 22 kb Mobi is actually the webpage that jhowell mentioned, and is something we're just going to have to wait for the Tor people to fix.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It took me two tried using the "Confirm Details" button before it would accept my email as already signed-up.
It took me two tries as well. I thought I would have to register again until I saw this. Thanks.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #40
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm getting very small file sizes -- epub= 590kb & mobi= 22kb. I downloaded it twice and still got the same results.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for mentioning this, I had gotten just the .mobi file at about the same file size you show. I tried again, it took 2 more tries using the "Confirm Details" link, but finally got to a download page with links for a Mobi format and an ePub format. These both worked for me although the Mobi format is actually a .prc file (same format, different extension). So check for that extension and it should be ok. I confirmed it worked on my Voyage, obviously can't check the ePub with a Voyage but per ATDrake it looks like it is ok.

File sizes:
ePub: 589 kB
.prc: 1.72 MB
.mobi: 21.6 kB - This was my first attempt and does not work.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #41
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

I was able to download the EPUB, but when I try the MOBI I get a web page instead of the proper file. Aarrgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Any suggestions?
The MOBI file I downloaded was also the "short" file, but I just tried again and got a proper MOBI ebook file -- Calibre had no trouble opening it this time.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I had no problems confirming my already-signed-up email.

I didn't even bother trying to download the MOBI -- I always prefer EPUB to MOBI, since I can convert directly to AZW3 without losing formatting info.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #43
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
I am so excited for these each month!

Each email is filled with a welcome surprise!
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
The ePub size is correct (at least, it's an actual ePub with all the contents in there, as far as I can tell). The 22 kb Mobi is actually the webpage that jhowell mentioned, and is something we're just going to have to wait for the Tor people to fix.
I had no trouble when I downloaded the Kindle version. Just 1.75 mb in total.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #45
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I had no trouble when I downloaded the Kindle version. Just 1.75 mb in total.
Same for me.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote