Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #31
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Would it be possible for you to do that without making it sound like there's valid reasons (other than your own resistance to change) for doing so? It may be totally innocent on your part, but it smacks of trying to convince others they may want to do the same.
Well, I can't rephrase it, because that's my feeling and that's the advice I give when asked, but I'll stop saying it here.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Well, I can't rephrase it, because that's my feeling and that's the advice I give when asked, but I'll stop saying it here.
Fact is, that it is wrong. You state that the latest well-tested version is 0.8.7. That is simple not true. There are no big issues in the 0.9.x. The fact that it works a bit different than the 0.8.x series is something else. The 0.9.x gives more flexibility, is better prepared for the future and does less auto-fixing (and thus less chance of wrong auto-fixing).

To each its own of course.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #33
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyember View Post
Can someone please write about how to fix these in MS Word format, not epub software, and NOT as if I can actually see this code (which I cannot) in my document?

Thanks.
I know of no way to fix these via MS Word, which is why I use Calibre, and also wrote my own EPUB maker. MS Word takes care of all these for you, so if there's a problem you cannot fix it.

You can save your Word docs as TXT (text) files, then copy and paste into Sigil or Calibre. Then clean up formatting if you need formatting like bold, italic, etc.

I strongly suggest you learn to use Sigil or Calibre. The interface and UI wording for Calibre is different than what I'm used to in America, Sigil's UI more closely resembles American user interfaces, using words common to America.

Last edited by crankypants; 12-22-2015 at 02:46 PM.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
Doesn't Smashwords have some absurdly long formatting guide available? I'd imagine building your Word file perfectly to the spec described in that document would get you there.

Edit: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52 <-- This is probably it.
Yes they have a formatting guide and I tried to make an EPUB from a WORD document, and it was insanely difficult, with no help from Smashwords, or the forums. I gave up. And I'm very patient and technically literate, but I just don't have time to waste on something that doesn't get results.

Last edited by crankypants; 12-22-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #35
crankypants
Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyember View Post
Thanks, Everyone. My other books uploaded to Smashwords just fine with the same formatting and use of Open Office for MS Word.
You should not be using OpenOffice, you should be using LibreOffice (which came from OO) and LO has a plugin to make EPUB documents too. LO is updated more frequently.

Quote:
It's not so much that I "don't want" to download more freeware, eschwartz. The last time I did (MalWare Bytes), it crashed my computer and ruined my work time for WEEKS. So, I am justifiably wary. I haven't even downloaded the latest upgrade to Open Office for fear of getting the BSOD over and over (which is what happened with the last shareware/freeware download I did).
This is why you should have good, free virus protection that is updated daily. Try www.avast.com. . DO NOT USE NORTON! It eats your children, and your PC. Norton causes conflicts, slowdowns and problems with many different software packages.

You also need to stop downloading software from unofficial websites, many of them add (unintended) poorly made malware to the software you are downloading.

Quote:
Before I do this (and thanks for the explanation and detailed steps, Doitsu!): I use Windows OS 8.1 on a desktop Dell with Chrome browser: any known bugs or problems with Calibre? I can't afford to pay anyone to do anything right now, Toxaris.
Both Calibre and Sigil are free right now. Editing post to get new sig with links to both.

Last edited by crankypants; 12-22-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Advert

Tags
ebook, epub, error, html, kindle