Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Jher
Jher began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Not able to download books to ADE

Anybody else notice they can't download books to ADE, not all, but specific ones.

I reinstalled Windows and went to download books again from Kobo and many of the books I already downloaded before gave me an error.

I contacted Kobo about it of course, but they just said, oh, we are sorry, these books are currently not compatible with ADE and to use my Kobo or Kobo application to download the books. Well, if I wanted to be stuck to the Kobo cloud whenever I wanted to download books, I would do that, but I would rather not.

I read they were going proprietary from another site that is newer than here, and that there was going to be someone developing kepub to epub to back up books.

But there was another place that said you can use caliber to backup the books in kepub, and just put them back on later.

I don't know how to use caliber, but does it let us delete the books from the mini and keep them in caliber to put back on the mini later?

Its the reason I like Adobe, and downloading all my books every time I get a new book is not what I want to do, especially since I am not going to just keep the Kobo application open 24 hours a day.

Does anyone have anything that could help in this situation?
Jher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jher View Post
I read they were going proprietary from another site that is newer than here, and that there was going to be someone developing kepub to epub to back up books.
I'd be really curious where you heard that as it's the first I've seen it reported.

When using your Kobo application (I'm assuming you mean the desktop application) are you signing out each time? As long as you don't sign out of your account (i.e. don't click sign out) you shouldn't have to download everything each time. You CAN safely close the desktop application WITHOUT signing out and your books will be there when you come back.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Jher
Jher began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
No I don't sign out, but the Kobo keeps deleting the books from my whole library when I don't want to cruise through 150 books to find the next one I want to read, so I keep having to add them back to my book list and then download them again, sync them, read 20 pages to see if I want to read that one, and then delete it to get it off if I don't want to read it at the time. My mini seems to be slower if I have a bunch of books on it, and faster if there is only the couple I want to read.

I used ADE to skim through books and then would put them on my mini if I wanted to read them, but I can't do that with about 40 books, they aren't compatible with ADE anymore apparently.

So I was looking for other routes to go.

I was looking for the site that said they were going all kepub, but I can't find it, I will look for it and let you know.

That would kind of suck, but I tried to buy a book last week that was in PDF but all of a sudden my whole website changed to the greenish blue one. I read that it was the new website shortly after.

I was hoping someone could offer a better way to take the books off and on rather than download, archive or delete, download, archive or delete, download, archive or delete.

For the moment I have about 50 books to look at that did download to ADE but I have read about 30 of them at first glance.
Jher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
OK, I think I understand better now: you are keeping a limited number of books on your Mini so you end up having to download them all to change between them? About the only solution other than what you're doing would be if you used the Kobo desktop application for your browsing/skim read, then pick that book to download on the device.

That does seem strange that there are that many books that used to have a straight epub version that no longer do. It used to be a pretty rare event to come across a book that didn't have a straight e-pub option.

Last edited by robko; 08-12-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Took out redundant info after I reread orginal post
robko is offline   Reply With Quote