Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T1 still works with the DRM used with ePub via Overdrive.
Agreed, you can still read Overdrive books on a T1 if you download them to a computer and sync to the reader; just can't do a direct download on the reader itself anymore.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #17
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I have several Sony Ebook readers which state that they are not yet Adobe DRM enabled.

Does any one have a step by step procedure, or a link to one, to enable Adobe DRM on these no longer Sony supported devices? Ones needing updating include a PRS-950, PRS-350, PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 units. Seems to me that they should have come from Sony so enabled.

BTW I do not have the Sony computer software installed and am working with an old computer that runs Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.
You can authorise the device by loading the Sony Reader software (I used the Windows PC version) and clicking the authorise button. You'll then be asked to login to your Adobe and Kobo accounts and the authorisation will be reported as a success.

I just did this today with my PRS-T1 after factory resetting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Sometime when I am home and have time to look at it I will try the T1 again and see what the error was - can't remember right now.

Update - it is possible to use the browser to log into the library on the T1 but when I try to download I get "download unsuccessful". The T2 and T3 must have something newer that allows them to work with the newer version of Overdrive.
Apparently it's due to OverDrive now using https

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...ons?b_id=15211
Quote:
OverDrive recently upgraded more of our services to HTTPS as part of our continued commitment to security and privacy. While this process was seamless and invisible to the vast majority of users, it resulted in compatibility issues for some older devices and software versions. We apologize for the inconvenience, and have provided solutions and alternatives below (wherever possible).

Sony Reader Wi-Fi

Sony Reader Wi-Fi devices (models PRS-T1, PRS-T2, and PRS-T3) no longer allow users to download library eBooks directly on the device.

Users can still download library eBooks to Sony Reader software on their computer, then transfer eBooks from their computer to their Sony Reader.
I gave my PRS-T3 away to my father-in-law as a Christmas present so cannot confirm how that device functions, but I can confirm that my PRS-T1 can no longer download ADE books from OverDrive on the device.

I can download EPUB file (with or without DRM) from my personal web server just fine as long as I have already copied a book across using the Reader software.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 01-20-2018 at 04:11 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
You can authorise the device by loading the Sony Reader software (I used the Windows PC version) and clicking the authorise button. You'll then be asked to login to your Adobe and Kobo accounts and the authorisation will be reported as a success.

I just did this today with my PRS-T1 after factory resetting it.

Apparently it's due to OverDrive now using https

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...ons?b_id=15211

I gave my PRS-T3 away to my father-in-law as a Christmas present so cannot confirm how that device functions, but I can confirm that my PRS-T1 can no longer download ADE books from OverDrive on the device.

I can download EPUB file (with or without DRM) from my personal web server just fine as long as I have already copied a book across using the Reader software.
I am now using a PRS-T3 and it will download from the Overdrive library.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #19
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I am now using a PRS-T3 and it will download from the Overdrive library.
Excellent! That's a relief.

I've emailed OverDrive to check why it might be that the T1 and T2 cannot.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Just to confirm that I can download from Overdrive on a T3.

So I wonder if I can copy the root SSL certificates from the T3 firmware onto my T1?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Excellent! That's a relief.

I've emailed OverDrive to check why it might be that the T1 and T2 cannot.
My T1 throws an error when I download a library book via its browser. The T2 still works via the browser for downloading Overdrive books (it does not work with the Overdrive App). At least it works at my library (Fort Worth Public Library).

Last edited by rcentros; 02-17-2018 at 07:04 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just to confirm that I can download from Overdrive on a T3.

So I wonder if I can copy the root SSL certificates from the T3 firmware onto my T1?
If you can tell me where to find the SSL certificates, i would be glad to see if I could retrieve them from my T2. (I wouldn't mind trying to get my T1 to work also.)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #23
gingerbeardman
Zealot

I'm still looking into that!

if T2 still works, it will be easier to get them from that.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 02-28-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
gingerbeardman
Zealot

OK, using @porkupan’s PRST1_update_tools.zip and PRST2_update_tools.zip I have successfully extracted /etc/security/cacerts.bks out of the firmware for each of PRS-T1 and PRS-T2. I’m not aware of a way of getting the cacerts.bks file out of PRS-T3 firmware? But I guess it will be the same as the PRS-T2 file?

As expected, using KeyStore Explorer app, I can see that the PRS-T2 has one extra certificate! So I guess this must be the required cert to make OverDrive downloads work.

So, next is to try to load on the cert file without having to root my T1. Rooting will definitely allow it, but I’d rather try other ways first.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
So, next is to try to load on the cert file without having to root my T1. Rooting will definitely allow it, but I’d rather try other ways first.
It would be nice if this could be done, especially without rooting. T1s are relatively cheap and plentiful on the U.S. eBay site. (Although, I have to admit, less expensive T2s are getting more common on eBay as well.)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #26
gingerbeardman
Zealot

OK, so I have installed the T2 certs on the T1, and added an extra one of my own to confirm it is using the new certs. My test cert works!

installer: PRS-T2_cacerts_for_PRS-T1.zip (117.35 KB)
https://workupload.com/file/jEAeKJG

But… still the T1 will not download from OverDrive.

I wonder what part of the OverDrive download process is filling on T1?

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 03-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:15 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
But… still the T1 will not download from OverDrive.

I wonder what part of the OverDrive download process is filling on T1?
Well, darn. I'm not a programmer or hacker, but is it possible that Overdrive is somehow identifying the device, itself, as a T1 and is rejecting the download because of the model number? (Just stabbing in the dark.) Would it be possible to make the T1 look like a T2 to Overdrive? (If this is the issue, which is probably a long shot.)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #28
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Yes, it’s possible (via browser user agent string) but i doubt it because the download actually begins. So it’s definitely something to do with permissions/certificates IMHO.

I’m trying to see what servers are involved with a download to verify things are set correctly on the T1.

Not giving up yet!