Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
can someone explain me what's the point to root the air 2 ?
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #17
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
The point of rooting is mainly to eliminate things that annoy you. If nothing annoys you, you probably have no need. I didn't like that a long push on PageDown did some wacky function (I forget which) instead of doing multiple PageDowns. I didn't like that I had to disable "High Contrast Fonts" for each application, so I disabled that. Also, in this case, it would allow you to disable the malfunctioning touch screen (but leave the digitizer running).
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Sure, give it a go. EDL mode, "python edl.py" or "edl.py" or "edl" or whatever works.
I don't know if your install installed the drivers too.
The message that edl will tell you.
If you have no drivers, at least download that 660 driver and explicitly reference it.
If "print-gpt" works, try "r"
As long as you stay away from other commands you should be safe.
When I run "edl", the following is what came up. It looks to me like something didn't install properly:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/edl", line 4, in <module>
__import__('pkg_resources').run_script('edlclient= =3.53', 'edl')
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3241, in <module>
@_call_aside
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3225, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3254, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
ws.require(__requires__)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'pycryptodome' distribution was not found and is required by edlclient
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #19
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did I mention that I don't like Python? Ok, I won't get on my soapbox, but it seems like there's always a missing library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The 'pycryptodome' distribution was not found and is required by edlclient
Are you using pip?
Code:
pip install pycryptodome
Old 11-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #20
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Apparently, you can automate installing dependencies with pipreq: https://stackoverflow.com/a/63930119
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #21
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now, when I enter "pip3 list" in Terminal, I get this:

Package Version
------------------ ---------
certifi 2021.10.8
charset-normalizer 2.0.8
docopt 0.6.2
idna 3.3
pip 21.3.1
pipreqs 0.4.11
pycryptodome 3.11.0
requests 2.26.0
setuptools 49.2.1
six 1.15.0
urllib3 1.26.7
wheel 0.33.1
yarg 0.1.9

But Terminal still doesn't recognize the pipreqs command. Moreover, when I use the edl command, I still get the message that pycryptodome is not present.

I'm beginning to wonder if rooting is really worth the trouble!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #22
Renate
Wizard

I have no idea. Mine works. This is the list:
Code:
Package    Version
---------- -------
capstone   4.0.2
colorama   0.4.4
docopt     0.6.2
linecache2 1.0.0
oslo.i18n  5.0.1
packaging  20.9
pbr        5.6.0
pip        21.1.1
pyparsing  2.4.7
pytz       2021.1
pyusb      1.1.1
setuptools 56.0.0
six        1.16.0
traceback2 1.4.0
urllib3    1.26.4
wrapt      1.12.1
I was going to write my own Windows chopped-down version of that with no dependencies.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #23
downeaster59
Wizard

I'm putting this on hold for now unless someone else out there can tell me what to do from here. Thanks @Renate for all your help!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #24
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
The Mac is fine. Stick with that and skip the VM stuff.
You can run "lsusb -v" on the command line and look for the 9008=good, 900e=not good.

If you have that you can follow the instructions here for install: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

Code:
python edl.py --loader=try-that-660-file.bin --memory=emmc
python edl.py print-gpt --memory=emmc
python edl.py r boot boot.img --memory=emmc
Well, I got back to it, and was able to get further along. I tried to install the bkerler software you referenced above, but eight warnings came up as it tried to install, so the installation appears to be incomplete. However, the python3 installation appeared to be incomplete when i first did it, and now it appears to be functioning properly. So, who knows?

How can I tell if the drivers for my Note Air 2 installed?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2021, 05:38 AM   #25
Renate
Wizard

The install is just putting it somewhere and running it. I don't have any idea what warnings you got. Could you tell me?

Ok, here's what to do:
Code:
pip uninstall pycryptodome
pip install pycryptodomex
Please just shoot me before I have to use Python again.

Last edited by Renate; 12-06-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #26
downeaster59
Wizard

OK, I did the uninstall and the (re)install of pycryptodome, and got this...

ERROR: pip's dependency resolver does not currently take into account all the packages that are installed. This behaviour is the source of the following dependency conflicts.
edlclient 3.53 requires colorama, which is not installed.
edlclient 3.53 requires lxml, which is not installed.
edlclient 3.53 requires pylzma, which is not installed.
edlclient 3.53 requires pyserial, which is not installed.
edlclient 3.53 requires pyusb, which is not installed.
edlclient 3.53 requires usb, which is not installed.

Just to try it out, I set up an Ubuntu VM on my Mac and tried installing everything there. Everything installed perfectly. But... the current version of Parallels Desktop has some glitch where Android devices won't connect to any VMs.

Just shoot me, too!!!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #27
downeaster59
Wizard

If you have time, here's what I get on Terminal when I try to install the bkerler software...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Install file.txt (135.0 KB, 507 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
OK, I did the uninstall and the (re)install of pycryptodome, and got this...
No! It's not a reinstall, it's pycryptodomex

Just pip install the other stuff that you don't have, like colorama. Keep to native Mac (if you can). VM and USB can be a big pain.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #29
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
No! It's not a reinstall, it's pycryptodomex

Just pip install the other stuff that you don't have, like colorama. Keep to native Mac (if you can). VM and USB can be a big pain.
My bad on that one! I saw the x and should have asked you about it first. I assumed it might be a typo!

I have pip installed that other stuff.

In then tried once again to install the bkerler software.

This was my result:

The package setup script has attempted to modify files on your system
that are not within the EasyInstall build area, and has been aborted.

This package cannot be safely installed by EasyInstall, and may not
support alternate installation locations even if you run its setup
script by hand. Please inform the package's author and the EasyInstall
maintainers to find out if a fix or workaround is available.
[/I]

I have an M1 Mac. I wonder if that's part of the problem. I also need to use pip3 for pip commands and python3 for python commands.

I won't get back to this for a while, so there's no hurry in getting back to me. You've been most willing to help. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #30
Renate
Wizard

You don't have to compile/install, just copy it and run it from source.