Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've noticed a lot of fiction (novels) on paper doesn't have a contents page.

For fiction it's no harm to have it, but it's not needed and people rarely use it even reading a paper novel unless they lose their place.
Another good thing about the NCX Toc is that it adds no extra pages to the eBook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The eBooks don't use paper and number of pages depends on font and screen size. An inline Contents page is a tiny overhead. It doesn't matter if it's there or not. More bother to remove it than leave it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The eBooks don't use paper and number of pages depends on font and screen size. An inline Contents page is a tiny overhead. It doesn't matter if it's there or not. More bother to remove it than leave it.
One thing I really dislike a lot is when the publisher links the chapter header to the HTML ToC. That has to go. That is obsolete formatting that doesn't need to be.

I delete all the files from the eBook I don't have a need for. No HTML ToC. No adverts. No previews. No review quotes. No list of other books from that author. No other rubbish not related to the book. S&S & Penguin as good at such rubbish. I also remove most embedded fonts. I also get rid of any graphics not being used. I also recompress most graphics. When I am done, the eBook is a bit smaller is size. Also, it's error checked and the code is cleaner and the format more consistent.

I have never had a problem with any of my Sony Readers or my Kobo H2O. I think most problems are do to a problem in the code.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:43 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I really dislike a lot is when the publisher links the chapter header to the HTML ToC. That has to go. That is obsolete formatting that doesn't need to be.
You mean you don't like accidentally tapping on the chapter header and opening the HTML ToC? <snicker>.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:25 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You mean you don't like accidentally tapping on the chapter header and opening the HTML ToC? <snicker>.
Nope. I don't like the way it looks.
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Nope. I don't like the way it looks.
Wolfie:

Yes, if the book is old enough that they still link back to the TOC. That's...I mean, every once in a while, I still see a linked Chap. head, but that's pretty obsolete these days.

We all know you don't like toc.html files, Jon. But some people DO, as the original questioner indicates. To me, having both is so much rain off a duck's back.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wolfie:

Yes, if the book is old enough that they still link back to the TOC. That's...I mean, every once in a while, I still see a linked Chap. head, but that's pretty obsolete these days.

We all know you don't like toc.html files, Jon. But some people DO, as the original questioner indicates. To me, having both is so much rain off a duck's back.

Hitch
But why prefer the HTML ToC when you cannot easily get back to it in most cases but you can easily get to the NCX ToC? If the HTML ToC was stuck in the back as the last page(s), then it would be easy to get to.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But why prefer the HTML ToC when you cannot easily get back to it in most cases but you can easily get to the NCX ToC? If the HTML ToC was stuck in the back as the last page(s), then it would be easy to get to.
Because, Wolfie, for Amazon in particular, the GoTo menu has always worked just fine. You have to remember, millions of books, originally in MOBI/PRC/HTML, all pretty much using the GoTo. Click GoTo, TOC and regardless--this is the relevant part--how old the ebook is, you'll be taken to either the HTML toc or the NCX.

Hitch
Old 09-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
So what I do (from anywhere in the book) is click on the ToC button/label which opens up a list of all the contents in the book. Then I find the listing for "Table of Contents". When I tap on that it takes me right to the Table of Contents!

</sarcasm>

Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
So what I do (from anywhere in the book) is click on the ToC button/label which opens up a list of all the contents in the book. Then I find the listing for "Table of Contents". When I tap on that it takes me right to the Table of Contents!

</sarcasm>

Oui, but that can work differently, depending on what's IN the book. ;-) What's accessible to the book, I mean.

H
Old 09-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #26
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wolfie:

Hitch

It may be obsolete, but I bought a 2021 HarperCollins title that has, not only the chapter heads, but EVERYTHING linked. Dedication, Epigraph, Author's Note, Glossary, Copyright, everything. Bright blue and clickable.

I thought that sort of thing had gone out of style long since in ebooks, but there it was!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 AM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It may be obsolete, but I bought a 2021 HarperCollins title that has, not only the chapter heads, but EVERYTHING linked. Dedication, Epigraph, Author's Note, Glossary, Copyright, everything. Bright blue and clickable.

I thought that sort of thing had gone out of style long since in ebooks, but there it was!
Geeze, I should drop them a line.

Hitch
Old 09-18-2021, 05:12 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post

</sarcasm>

Most new eBooks no longer have a Table of Contents entry in the NCX ToC.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:13 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

2000 called. They want their obsolete formatting back.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Most new eBooks no longer have a Table of Contents entry in the NCX ToC.
Select first entry and go back a page?

It's what I have to do on the Word processor as the first heading is at the start of the actual text.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote