Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
graphicolyte
graphicolyte began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Question ANY encryption on pocketbook

I am about to buy the new pocketbook color 7.8" ereader and I love the fact that its linux and has audio. The only thing that I cannot find info about is ecryption.

I want to encrypt the external microsd card to hold confidential data.
Partition encryption is preferred but containers would work fine - i just need any kind of encryption to work at all.

I understand they used embedded debian to make their own little distro. There is a terminal and su might actually work, but can i just add a debian arm packages and expect them to install in any way?
Could it be possible for me to somehow install cryptsetup on this device or a similar terminal app?

Never did properly rice arch, so I'm still a noob when it comes to this sadly .

Thank you for your time!
graphicolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't have the 7.8" colour ereader, but I do have the 6" one. The linux OS is not debian based. There is no package manager at all. Most of the system programs are in a compressed read-only partition, so it really isn't meant to be updated by adding packages individually. When upgrading, the entire partitions are overwritten with new filesystems.

The kernel is also very stripped down, and I don't believe that the source code for some of the e-ink related hardware is opensource. So, it would be really difficult to update the kernel with support for new functionality (like encrypted filesystems).

Maybe someone involved with the rooting program can say something else about it, but in my view, the pocketbook devices are not what you are looking for.

Edit: I believe that password-protected PDF files are supported. That is about as close as you are going to get.

Last edited by rkomar; 08-29-2021 at 12:31 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
graphicolyte
graphicolyte began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Edit: I believe that password-protected PDF files are supported. That is about as close as you are going to get.
Dude.
That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Didn't even think about making locked PDFs.

Thanks!
graphicolyte is offline   Reply With Quote