Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-08-2022, 04:08 AM   #1936
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Thank you! Your suggestions indeed made a difference in the quality of the text rendering.

Thanks again for the awesome tool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Based on your posted screenshot of the Kindle Paperwhite 5, which shows the visible part of the PDF to be 1174 x 1554 pixels, it looks like the Paperwhite 5 is using the same display size/resolution as the Kindle Oasis 2, so you should use -dev ko2 (Kindle Oasis 2) for your screen, and also drop the "-odpi 300":

./k2pdfopt Editorial.pdf -ui- -x -mt 0.8 -mb 0.5 -fc- -mc -dev ko2

If you still aren't happy with that you can try adding -dr <xx> where <xx> is some number above 1.0 to increase the resolution of the bitmap in the output PDF even further, e.g. for a factor of 2 higher resolution:

./k2pdfopt Editorial.pdf -ui- -x -mt 0.8 -mb 0.5 -fc- -mc -dev ko2 -dr 2
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #1937
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by schezuk View Post
They told me that this feature relies on Upstream library support, namely K2pdfopt.
It is not clear to me whether your posts are an advertisement for a new feature in KO Reader or a request for a new feature that does not exist yet.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:04 PM   #1938
schezuk
schezuk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
It is not clear to me whether your posts are an advertisement for a new feature in KO Reader or a request for a new feature that does not exist yet.
Feature request, of course.

Let me rephrase that. I submitted a feature request to the developers of KOreader, and they told me there's no way they can make it unless k2pdfopt implements this feature. Then here came I to ask for help.

The forum will dump my post to the trash bin as long as it contain any link to web page or image, thus I have to leave the details on the KOreader issue list.
schezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:06 PM   #1939
schezuk

Ooops, the forum finally vomitted my posts FOUR days later. What a surprise.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #1940
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schezuk View Post
Let me rephrase that. I submitted a feature request to the developers of KOreader, and they told me there's no way they can make it unless k2pdfopt implements this feature. Then here came I to ask for help.
I'll put this on my feature request list, but it will be low priority because (1) it's not a common request, and (2) the implementation, even if I didn't have to try and tell western alphabets from asian characters, would be fraught with error. Determining exactly where the gaps are in the characters and which to rotate and which not to rotate would be mistake prone and would no doubt frustrate the end user. Sorry.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:34 PM   #1941
schezuk

Quote:
I'll put this on my feature request list, but it will be low priority because (1) it's not a common request, and (2) the implementation, even if I didn't have to try and tell western alphabets from asian characters, would be fraught with error. Determining exactly where the gaps are in the characters and which to rotate and which not to rotate would be mistake prone and would no doubt frustrate the end user. Sorry.
That would be great! Many thanks!

Well, I guess you might just rotate every character clockwise indiscriminately and rotate the page counterclockwise as a beta trial :lol: , since TTB-RTL texts usually hardly contain any slim latin letters, and no one will be annoyed if they don't select this option to convert to LTR, and people who find it useful may provide some feedback.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:49 PM   #1942
xilopaint
xilopaint began at the beginning.

@willus, double quotes are legal characters for filenames on macOS, but k2pdfopt can't handle them. Is it possible to fix this?
xilopaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:18 AM   #1943
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilopaint View Post
@willus, double quotes are legal characters for filenames on macOS, but k2pdfopt can't handle them. Is it possible to fix this?
Can you please be more specific? Exactly how did you launch k2pdfopt? Did you follow the procedure on the OSX getting started page or did you type a k2pdfopt command and its arguments directly into a terminal shell?
Old 05-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #1944
xilopaint
xilopaint began at the beginning.

Quote:
Can you please be more specific? Exactly how did you launch k2pdfopt? Did you follow the procedure on the OSX getting started page or did you type a k2pdfopt command and its arguments directly into a terminal shell?
I'm invoking k2pdfopt through subprocess.Popen with shell=True in my Python application. It's the same of entering the command with the arguments into a Terminal.

Btw, is it possible to use k2pdfopt as a command line tool without the interactive mode? It would make a lot of things easier to me.
xilopaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #1945
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I'm invoking k2pdfopt through subprocess.Popen with shell=True in my Python application. It's the same of entering the command with the arguments into a Terminal.

Btw, is it possible to use k2pdfopt as a command line tool without the interactive mode? It would make a lot of things easier to me.
I'll look into the double quotes. You can disable interactive mode like so:

k2pdfopt -ui- -x ...
Old 05-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #1946
zero_day
zero_day began at the beginning.

Device: pocketBook 628
hi, I just started using this utility. I can't convert this book. The font is still small. i have a poketbook 628 758 × 1024, 212 dpi, tell me what I do wrong.

[Mod edit: snipped possibly copyright book]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	193786  

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-14-2022 at 11:02 AM.
zero_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #1947
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I verified this is indeed an issue with k2pdfopt and how it parses the command line in OSX / Linux. I've added it to my bug list.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #1948
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_day View Post
hi, I just started using this utility. I can't convert this book. The font is still small. i have a poketbook 628 758 × 1024, 212 dpi, tell me what I do wrong.
The important thing is to disable native PDF output and check the "re-flow text" box. See attached screen shot. I also bumped up the dpi to 300--this will effectively control the text size.

If you want to keep it in native PDF, your only option for bigger text is to rotate so that you are viewing the document in landscape mode. K2pdfopt cannot re-flow text with native PDF turned on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	106
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	193810  
Old 06-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #1949
srpgreader
srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!srpgreader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Willus, first off, this tool is super rad and I can tell a ton of work went into it.

I'm having trouble with 2 column documents ending too soon using the standard -mode 2col -c preset.

How do I adjust the bottom of the page? (and yes I know RPG books are finicky because they were never ever meant to be read with an e-reader)

Example:

srpgreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:09 AM   #1950
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpgreader View Post
How do I adjust the bottom of the page? (and yes I know RPG books are finicky because they were never ever meant to be read with an e-reader)
This is very hard to diagnose without a sample. Can you post a page or two from the PDF you are trying to convert that is having the issue?

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools