Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 06-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
torto
Enthusiast
torto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, Kindle PW2 (RIP), Kindle 4, Tolino Vision 5
Pocket app/webpage reading setup on Tolino

Hello everybody, nobody asked but I just want to share the configuration I ended up using with the Pocket app on the Tolino, which makes it an incredibly practical read-it-later/offline reader/increased readability solution (i. e. without ads and with better typography for long reads).

I have a free account at https://getpocket.com, and I often save articles and posts directly from my web browser using Pocket's chrome add-on (there are other solutions for other browsers). I also have Pocket on my cellphone, so it is also easy to save long reads from social media to Pocket too.

Next step, my Tolino has sideloaded Android apps*, amongst them the Pocket for Android app. I use version 7.27, which takes 12.47 MB, is a bit heavy for the Tolino, but does the job just fine. It is only important to configure it to save articles on the SD card instead of the main memory and limit the amount of storage for offline articles.

I also installed the free Key Mapper app, which allows me to configure the page turning buttons so that they are also recognized as page up/down keystrokes on Android. So now I can quickly turn pages on Pocket while holding the Tolino with one hand. As an added comfort, I also configured a long press on the up button as a back button, so that it is easier to move around in android in general.

* for sideloading apps, I used a mix of the solutions described here and here (sorry, both in German!). So now, besides the native Tolino app, I also have KO Reader (better than the Tolino app for most formats, specially PDFs), a Kindle app (for protected Kindle books - they're often cheaper than in Tolino-compatible stores), Wikipedia, APK Pure for easy installation of new apps etc.
torto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
cincila
cincila began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino shine 3
sorry for necroposting

is it possible that you send me an sd image of this setup? would love to use it myself if possible
cincila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
torto
Enthusiast

sorry, I don't even know how to do this

I went the lazy way and installed total commander and F-Droid (or APKpure, Idk), and then I downloaded an APK of Pocket 7.27.0.1. I used one of these to install it, I just sideload apps and never went the full image way.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
cincila

do you still use it? does it affect battery life or anything?
Old 10-26-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
torto
Enthusiast

Yes I do, just not every day. Battery life is not great but is okay (like charging every 2 weeks), specially if I turn wifi off when I am not using it. I also have a bunch of other sideloaded apps, so I don't know what is using more battery. I think Pocket's impact is nonetheless low.

Just mind the fact that since Vision's cpu is really shitty, Pocket takes a looong time to load (like 2-3 minutes) if it is not already loaded in the background. Once it is there, and it can stay there for weeks if you're not using many other apps, it is fast. It is anyway much more practical and comfortable than any other systems I tried.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
cincila

Quote:
Originally Posted by torto View Post
Yes I do, just not every day. Battery life is not great but is okay (like charging every 2 weeks), specially if I turn wifi off when I am not using it. I also have a bunch of other sideloaded apps, so I don't know what is using more battery. I think Pocket's impact is nonetheless low.

Just mind the fact that since Vision's cpu is really shitty, Pocket takes a looong time to load (like 2-3 minutes) if it is not already loaded in the background. Once it is there, and it can stay there for weeks if you're not using many other apps, it is fast. It is anyway much more practical and comfortable than any other systems I tried.
I installed simple launcher "no launcher" and pocket. If I want to enter pocket I need to restart my tolino and pick it up, as when I enter "tolino" app I can't use anything else before restart, but it seems to work fine

What other apps do you use? any recommendations ?
Old 10-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #7
torto
Enthusiast

Nice!

As a matter of fact, the only other app I use regularly is Koreader, which mostly replaces the original Tolino app with lots of advantadges (good PDF reading/reflowing, many formats, flexible formatting, wifi Dropbox connection etc).

The ones I sometimes use are:
- Kindle (when there's a book that's much cheaper or only available there), but the reading experience is not that good, it crashes from time to time etc. Only older versions work.
- Wikipedia (mostly when I am travelling, so that I save a bunch of article abt cities/countries etc. for offline reading during the flight)

I've also tried a few browsers, but I'm never really comfortable with them.

For the launcher, I use "Simple Ink Launcher". And I also use a Keyboard helper named "Key Mapper" in order to have the pageup/down keys available in other apps. And the "Button Savior (non-root)" that gives me a little floating collapsed menu with a back button, a home button etc.

Last edited by torto; 10-27-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 AM   #8
cincila

Quote:
Nice!

As a matter of fact, the only other app I use regularly is Koreader, which mostly replaces the original Tolino app with lots of advantadges (good PDF reading/reflowing, many formats, flexible formatting, wifi Dropbox connection etc).

- Kindle (when there's a book that's much cheaper or only available there), but the reading experience is not that good, it crashes from time to time etc. Only older versions work.
- Wikipedia (mostly when I am travelling, so that I save a bunch of article abt cities/countries etc. for offline reading during the flight)

I've also tried a few browsers, but I'm never really comfortable with them.
When I buy books from kindle (and their shop is usually better) I simply rip DRM and put them in epub format.

I used to have kindle and left some 200-300 euro to them for their books, why should I be limited by their ereaders?

Also, please tell me what version of KOreader to install? can you give me direct link if possible.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:00 AM   #9
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincila View Post
Also, please tell me what version of KOreader to install? can you give me direct link if possible.
koreader-android-arm-v2021.10.1.apk
From https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases

You should also update koreader regularly, simply remember the correct naming convention:
koreader-android-arm-vXXXX.XX.X.apk
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 AM   #10
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also (at least on my Boox devices) deactivating animations in the app doesn't actually do anything so transitioning to the next page always leaves bad ghosting from the animation.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:05 AM   #11
torto
Enthusiast

Quote:
When I buy books from kindle (and their shop is usually better) I simply rip DRM and put them in epub format.
What do you use for that? I tried a few times, but only a few very old azw books worked.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #12
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
What do you use for that? I tried a few times, but only a few very old azw books worked.
Calibre using DeDRM. There are enough guides out there.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
cincila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
koreader-android-arm-v2021.10.1.apk
From https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases

You should also update koreader regularly, simply remember the correct naming convention:
koreader-android-arm-vXXXX.XX.X.apk
how to update? I just install over it ?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #14
cincila

Quote:
I did it a year or so ago but I found it over gogle. I know that you need a calibre plugin and old version of kindle app for PC, as newer ones are better protected.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #15
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
how to update? I just install over it ?
Yes, just install over it.