Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Angry Amazon removed books from my Kindle

I purchased a book using my Paperwhite 7th Generation. The transaction seemed to take much longer than normal. After the book (The Hippopotamus Pool by Elizabeth Peters) was finally downloaded I was going to move it into a collection when I noticed a collection a named Agatha Christie had only 8 books. That wasn't right it should have had over 30 books.

I started looking at other collections and found many missing books. Amazon had removed every book that I had put into Calibre, removed the DRM and loaded onto my reader. The only books that remained on my reader were books recently purchased and downloaded directly from Amazon and two old Mobi files downloaded by way of Calibre.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do about it?

I have 3 Paperwhites and 1 Kobo Clara. I much prefer my Paperwhites, but this makes me a very unhappy Amazon customer.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I haven’t heard of that happening, I lots of books that I side load. Have a large calibre library. Mostly books I free from sites that only have the books that are no longer in under copyright. Some are books I bought in other formats and converted.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
All the books on my Oasis are sideloaded and none of them has vanished.

Possibly you have some filter on, showing only direct purchases?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
80% of the books on both of my Kindles have been loaded via Calibre, and none have ever disappeared. You have a filter set that is hiding them. It would be front page news if Amazon did that, after the debacle years ago concerning one book that was sold on Amazon by someone who did not have the rights to do so.

Amazon removed that one book, and gave all customers it affected $35 for their inconvenience. They also publicly stated that they would never do so again.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do about it?
I don't know if this what's happening in your case, but a lot of times Kindles will treat side-loaded books as docs rather than books. Is your filter set to books only? (I.e., a check-mark by "Books" in the filter list?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try viewing ALL.
I find that Amazon removes books from Collections, but not the device.
Also only Download direct to PC and never Sync. I have quite different generations of Kindles and any Sync messes up Collections.

I've actually given up on collections on the Kindle except for titles I testing. My wife also has a Paperwhite 3 and has recently got a Kobo Libra because Collections and Series work properly from Calibre (though you have to connect twice) and the page turn buttons are handy when eating toast.
It's only the price of 10 to 15 non-discount books from a bookshop.

I'd be nearly certain it's just filter settings. Make sure you view all.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Try viewing ALL.
I find that Amazon removes books from Collections, but not the device.
Also only Download direct to PC and never Sync. I have quite different generations of Kindles and any Sync messes up Collections.

I've actually given up on collections on the Kindle except for titles I testing. My wife also has a Paperwhite 3 and has recently got a Kobo Libra because Collections and Series work properly from Calibre (though you have to connect twice) and the page turn buttons are handy when eating toast.
It's only the price of 10 to 15 non-discount books from a bookshop.

I'd be nearly certain it's just filter settings. Make sure you view all.
I had view downloaded rather than all. I have always had downloaded highlighted. Yes when I have view All highlighted every book is back; every book that I have ever purchased from Amazon, that is why I have used downloaded.

I am more confused than ever know, so I am just going to go off and finish the book I am reading.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
acprinter
Groupie

I live in a 55+ community and I have been the person that people bring their Kindle problems to. And there have been some that really had me stumped, but I figured them out. This is the first time I have been on the needing help end.

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had view downloaded rather than all. I have always had downloaded highlighted. Yes when I have view All highlighted every book is back; every book that I have ever purchased from Amazon, that is why I have used downloaded.

I am more confused than ever know, so I am just going to go off and finish the book I am reading.
You should still be able to view Downloaded and then check your filters. If you use Downloaded and then check Books in the Filter, it will only show what the Kindle decides is a "book" — which usually doesn't include side-loaded books. Uncheck the "Books" filter and all your books will show (unless you have something else like "Docs" checked (then you'll only see what the Kindle considers to be "Docs" (which often includes side-loaded books).

EDIT: I've added three screenshots, all from the same Voyage and all on the first page. They're all using the "Downloaded" setting. The first has the filter set to "Books," the second to "Docs" and the filter is cleared on the third screen. (You can actually see and clear the filter on the front page, just by clicking the X.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_08_01T14_29_33-0600.png
Views:	323
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	188462   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_08_01T14_30_56-0600.png
Views:	288
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	188463   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_08_01T14_31_07-0600.png
Views:	293
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	188464  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-01-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
acprinter
Groupie

[QUOTE=rcentros;4143393]You should still be able to view Downloaded and then check your filters. If you use Downloaded and then check Books in the Filter, it will only show what the Kindle decides is a "book" — which usually doesn't include side-loaded books. Uncheck the "Books" filter and all your books will show (unless you have something else like "Docs" checked (then you'll only see what the Kindle considers to be "Docs" (which often includes side-loaded books).

I have Downloaded highlighted, neither Books or Docs are checked, nothing is checked.

Almost 100 books are just gone, I have played with every filter and nothing. The only thing I have come up with, is that this Paperwhite has shown for the lack of any better word glithches. It has exhibited some strange behavior over the past few years that my older Paperwhite and my newer Paperwhite have ever done.

It's just bad Juju.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #11
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Start up Calibre and connect the Kindle to your computer. Calibre will read the Kindle contents and match them up to the files in your Calibre library. That should show you whether the books were actually deleted or not. You can click on the Device button in the Calibre toolbar and browse the list of books that are actually on the device to see if anything is missing.

If Calibre thinks that the books are on the Kindle but you just don't see them in your Kindle collections, try searching for a specific title on the Kindle and see if you can find it and open it that way. There was a bug some time ago where you could scroll through a collection and some pages would be blank. This was fixed, but maybe it's back.

Make sure you're running the 5.13.6 software.

Try restarting the Kindle.

If none of that works, try using the Device screen in Calibre to delete any books from the Kindle that aren't showing up in your collections, then go back to the Library screen and use the Send to Device button to sideload them again. You'll have to put them back in the collections yourself if you do this.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
acprinter
Groupie

[QUOTE=CathyA;4143714]Start up Calibre and connect the Kindle to your computer. Calibre will read the Kindle contents and match them up to the files in your Calibre library. That should show you whether the books were actually deleted or not. You can click on the Device button in the Calibre toolbar and browse the list of books that are actually on the device to see if anything is missing.

I did connect to Calibre and books that I knew were on the Paperwhite were gone. It is over 100 books that disappeared.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't run Calibre. Plug your Kindle into the computer's USB port and use your computer's file browser to have a look at what's on your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
acprinter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't run Calibre. Plug your Kindle into the computer's USB port and use your computer's file browser to have a look at what's on your Kindle.
I plugged into the computer and looked for the book that I was reading when the disappearing book act happened. The results, it was gone. I have searched for a few books using the file browser not finding them.

This all goes back to this reader has shown strange behavior in the past. Such as removing DRM from an Amazon book and sending it to my reader by way of Calibre. Often enough to be annoying it would not open with error notice of if you bought this book from Amazon please delete and re-download. I would send that book to my other 2 Paperwhites with no problem.

I just think it is an omen to leave it somewhere on a park bench and buy a new reader. And my wife will say you need another reader?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:00 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I have Downloaded highlighted, neither Books or Docs are checked, nothing is checked.

Almost 100 books are just gone, I have played with every filter and nothing. The only thing I have come up with, is that this Paperwhite has shown for the lack of any better word glithches. It has exhibited some strange behavior over the past few years that my older Paperwhite and my newer Paperwhite have ever done.

It's just bad Juju.
Sorry for going through all that. Often this this is issue, but obviously you already knew all this. I should have known better. Good luck. Sounds like corruption of some kind.