Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Kindle Alternate - Help!

Hi,

i have been using kindle paperwhite 1 and recently the device seem to have problematic.

my local library use Overdrive! they only support Overdrive/Epub.

i thinking to move out of kindle as it does not support epub.

i have been using Calibre to convert epub to mobi.

so far kindle come with good dictionaries.

any other kindle alternate have good dictionaries?

support side-load fonts is not necessary a must

Thank you.

Last edited by steven168; 03-04-2018 at 11:28 AM.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
Hi,

i have been using kindle paperwhite 1 and recently the device seem to have problematic.

my local library use Overdrive! they only support Overdrive/Epub.

i thinking to move out of kindle as it does not support epub.

i have been using Calibre to convert epub to mobi.

so far kindle come with good dictionaries.

any other kindle alternate have good dictionaries?

support side-load fonts is not necessary a must

Thank you.
Sonys (x50 and T series) used the Oxford dictionary as well, but I'm guessing you probably want something newer with a front light.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo works great with Overdrive... No jumping thru hoops either.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sonys (x50 and T series) used the Oxford dictionary as well, but I'm guessing you probably want something newer with a front light.
Yes Oxford dictionary will be great.

Just need something similar to paperwhite that can support epub
Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Kobo works great with Overdrive... No jumping thru hoops either.
How does kobo work?

What dictionary does it has? Possible to side load fonts?
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would forgo Sony Readers. They use older screens, no front light, slower, less RAM, less storage, and given the age, it's a crap shoot if you get a decent battery. You may do OK with the T series, but older Sony, I highly doubt the battery will be good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Font choices are fine for me. You can adjust weight & font size easy. Several Dictionaries to choose from.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How does kobo work?

What dictionary does it has? Possible to side load fonts?
I cannot say what dictionary is used on a Kobo, but most of the words I've looked up are there. That's more than 90%.

Yes, you can side load fonts. And with the patches, you can patch the firmware to allow adjusting the weight of side loaded fonts.

I do think a Kobo Reader will do you well for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
How does kobo work?
The Kobo Aura ONE has integrated borrowing from libraries that use Overdrive. This is done through the store on the device. The function is not available in all countries. USA, Canada, Australia, UK plus some others.

All Kobo ereaders allow sideloading from ADE. You can download the books from OD using ADE and then add them to the device.
Quote:
What dictionary does it has?
For English, Kobo uses a Merriam-Webster dictionary. I believe it is one of the smaller versions they have. I don't have any real problems with it. You can sideload them with some hacks, but if dictionaries are a very important thing, Kobo is not the choice for you.
Quote:
Possible to side load fonts?
Yes. It is simple. There is a thread in the Kobo forum to discuss it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
steven168
Zealot

thank you for your reply input.

guess maybe i still can't get rid of using kindle.

someone want to convince me to use a android eink but again i will still prefer either kindle or Kobo.

my local library indeed only use overdrive/epub but i don't have issue convert them everytime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM
kindle paperwhite cost 99 now...wow price is good but 6"

Kindle 7" not cheap.

Kobo has 6.8" and 7.8" wow that cool...

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=d_devcp...ode=6669702011

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders
Old 03-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
thank you for your reply input.

guess maybe i still can't get rid of using kindle.

someone want to convince me to use a android eink but again i will still prefer either kindle or Kobo.

my local library indeed only use overdrive/epub but i don't have issue convert them everytime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM
kindle paperwhite cost 99 now...wow price is good but 6"

Kindle 7" not cheap.

Kobo has 6.8" and 7.8" wow that cool...

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=d_devcp...ode=6669702011

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders
For most of what you are requesting, Kobo seems a better match.

But if dictionary really matters, I know that a user on here that has both Kindle and Kobo says the Kindle dictionary is much better.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
You can use another library. You can get a library card online at other places. Cheaper than buying a new ereader
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For most of what you are requesting, Kobo seems a better match.

But if dictionary really matters, I know that a user on here that has both Kindle and Kobo says the Kindle dictionary is much better.
it seem that Kobo cost more than kindle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You can use another library. You can get a library card online at other places. Cheaper than buying a new ereader
how to use another library ? free

i am not from states.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For English, Kobo uses a Merriam-Webster dictionary. I believe it is one of the smaller versions they have. I don't have any real problems with it. You can sideload them with some hacks, but if dictionaries are a very important thing, Kobo is not the choice for you.
It looks like it's the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary – but simplified.

In my Nook Simple Touch (which uses the 11th Edition of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary) "biological" is defined as follows...

biological
also biologic adjective
1 : of or relating to biology or to life and living processes
2 : used in or produced by applied biology
3 : connected by direct genetic relationship rather than by
adoption or marriage <her biological father>
bi‧o‧log‧i‧cal‧ly
\-ji-k(Ə-)lẽ\
adverb
(1847)

The Nook version also has a lookup feature not in my Kobo Touch (can't speak for newer Kobos).

The Kobo uses the following format ...

biological [-ji-k(Ə-)lẽ] -adj, adv
1. of or relating to biology or to life and living processes
2. used in or produced by applied biology
3. connected by direct genetic relationship rather than by adoption
or marriage

Page 1 of 2

° her biological father

(The numbered definitions are inset and the example (second page) is inset more. Didn't come through in the preview and post.)

Last edited by rcentros; 03-05-2018 at 02:45 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The Nook version also has a lookup feature not in my Kobo Touch (can't speak for newer Kobos).
I don't remember a Kobo firmware version that didn't allow searching the dictionary (though they didn't for a couple of languages due to licenses). Recent firmware has it as part of the search function. Use the drop-down in the top right to change what you search. "Dictionary" in one of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote