Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And also that there are several that don't want it (including me).
But, you'd still get the Silly posts and those of us that don't want them in the list of new posts would not have to have them there. What difference would it really make? To you, none at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, you'd still get the Silly posts and those of us that don't want them in the list of new posts would not have to have them there. What difference would it really make? To you, none at all.
Not true. I read both the Silly and the not-Silly posts. If the change you want were to be made, I'd have to visit two different forums to do that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Just the name "The Lounge" says there should be fun stuff and anything else (within reason) could be discussed.

Now I do have an idea. How about a forum for those that want nothing but serious? Make it like the P&R. Opt-in.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Could the Lounge be split into to two subfora - "Serious" and "Frivolous".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Excellent idea, I wholeheartedly agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I like the idea too.
Quote:
The thing is: are there enough like-minded people to warrant the new forum and as Nate pointed out are there enough mods to handle the sneerers?
Well, including Jon, its seems there are at least 4

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Well, including Jon, its seems there are at least 4

BR
3.5. Though my idea would be to have a place for games. Or maybe a tag for games.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just the name "The Lounge" says there should be fun stuff and anything else (within reason) could be discussed.

Now I do have an idea. How about a forum for those that want nothing but serious? Make it like the P&R. Opt-in.
The idea is to not get flooded with silly stuff in the list of new posts and still be able to see the threads if we want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
The idea is to not get flooded with silly stuff in the list of new posts and still be able to see the threads if we want.
Do you mean to say that you can't see "Amazon Echo Club" because of a few silly posts?
Hold on.
There are only 16 threads in the lounge that have been posted to today.
There are two weeks worth of posts on the first page.
What are you having a hard time seeing? Is it an older thread that doesn't get posted to very often?

After doing some research, I could understand your complaint if we were talking about 100's of posts or having to get off the first couple of pages.

I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I was gone for a week. It took less time to go through the lounge than it did to go through the KOBO forum.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-24-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Stupidest question ever: how would moving them to another forum prevent them showing up in new posts?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Stupidest question ever: how would moving them to another forum prevent them showing up in new posts?
There's a way under the user option to block certain forums from showing up in the New Posts list (e.g., I blocked the non-English forums from showing up, since I don't speak anything but English). It's under User CP > Edit Options.

PS: My posting on this thread does not mean I have an opinion either way about whether silly posts should be in the Lounge. I always thought that was pretty much what the Lounge was for!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 05-24-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: looked up where it was under User CP
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
There's a way under the user option to block certain forums from showing up in the New Posts list (e.g., I blocked the non-English forums from showing up, since I don't speak anything but English). It's under User CP > Edit Options.

PS: My posting on this thread does not mean I have an opinion either way about whether silly posts should be in the Lounge. I always thought that was pretty much what the Lounge was for!
Thanks. Appreciated.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Do you mean to say that you can't see "Amazon Echo Club" because of a few silly posts?
Notice the "green arrow" icon in the header? I did that so the thread would stand out and make it easier to find. Otherwise, it gets drowned with all of the silliness going on
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #42
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Notice the "green arrow" icon in the header? I did that so the thread would stand out and make it easier to find. Otherwise, it gets drowned with all of the silliness going on
I had never noticed the green arrow.
I think this has turned into the learn the secrets of MR thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #43
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Lounges are generally meant for relaxing, playing games and forgetting the burdens of real life. There should be no harm in making a new section for "Serious only" topics as suggested above by Cinisajoy... on Opt-in basis.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #44
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I can only give my own experience - I really like the idea of a place here at MR to discuss non-book-related (and non-P&R) things with other book lovers, but honestly I do find the Lounge too silly so I usually just don't bother. I'm not saying it's bad that it's silly and I have (even if rarely) posted in some of the silly threads for fun so I understand their appeal. But there it is. So many of those threads do give that forum a certain silly atmosphere even if there are more serious threads mixed in (I think 'serious' might be too strong a description; more like 'regular discussion' or 'just not completely silly, just for fun and/or games').

I'm not advocating splitting the forum in two per se because I'm so used to my MR routine now that I'm not sure that I personally would get into using any Lounge forum with less silly threads, and alternately at some point the whim may take me to start participating in the Lounge forum more as is regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This was tried once, a few years back. The result was so toxic that the new forum was deleted.

The problem then was that the "serious" folks looked down on anyone who participated in the silliness, and that sneering attitude did not lead to peace when the loung was sundered in two.
I must have missed this or it was before my time. Admittedly, I don't look at the Lounge often. I understand you're saying there were 'sneerers' and people looking down on others, but I'm still not quite understanding what happened that caused the forums to be merged together again. Are you saying people in the more serious forum were posting constantly about how much better they were than posters in the other forum?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote