Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
cvogan
cvogan began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Date formatting

I've got a problem! I just made my first ePub with InDesign, but the ePub doesn't pass the ePubCheck program: invalid date format. When I looked in the content.opf file that it's having problems with, it shows an empty date field: <dc:date/>

So I put one of Apple's ePub's through it (one already on their bookshelf in the iPad) and it doesn't pass either. I looked at the date field in content.opf, and it appears to be valid by the specs that ePubCheck specifies - yet it fails the validation.

Then I put Terry White's ePub "25 iPad Tips" through it and it doesn't pass either! He's the traveling rep for Adobe who shows people how to use InDesign to make ePubs. His video is on this site: http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/5179

The problem is that my publishing house won't take it until it passes - and they don't know anything about InDesign. Nor are they very helpful about how to fix things - they want to charge me $100 per title to convert books themselves.

What gives? Can anybody help? Thanks!

Charles Vogan
cvogan@yahoo.com
cvogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Date's an optional term, try deleting the line containing it and try again ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
cvogan

Well, here's another problem: I'm using STUFFIT expander to work on the file, and then DropStuff to compress it. Evidently it puts it back together corrupted - the ePubCheck comes up with new errors when I do that. Is there a recommended expander/compressor to do this stuff with? On an iMac?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
iMac - must pass on that one I'm afraid .... unless there is an equivalent windows ZIP facility.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Look here for pdurrant's Applescript for re-zipping previously unzipped epub files. It should do what you want.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
cvogan

ePub zip

You, my friend, are a steely-eyed missile man! Worked perfectly - Thanks!

Tags
date, epub, formatting, ipad