Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post

Smoking, on the other hand, is so annoying (whether accompanied by dementia, or not), one can sympathize with those contemplating strangling a relative or fellow coworker who refused to stop.

Yep, might as well get it over with, eh?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really, REALLY have to wonder why anyone would smoke today, knowing the health effects. I'm not talking about people who started 50 years ago, before they were known, but someone who made the deliberate choice to start smoking in, say, the last 20 years. Why do it? Perhaps some smokers could enlighten us?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #18
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
If I realized just how badly I smelled during the years I was smoking, I would have stopped a lot sooner.
If I realized how much money I was just burning up I would have stopped even quicker than that!

In just the 12 years that I've not smoked, and based on an average price between what I used to spend and what a pack costs today, at the rate of a pack and a half a day I used to smoke, I've saved $46,740.79 by not smoking.
(No, I didn't figure that out myself. I have a little computer app that keeps me informed.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really, REALLY have to wonder why anyone would smoke today, knowing the health effects. I'm not talking about people who started 50 years ago, before they were known, but someone who made the deliberate choice to start smoking in, say, the last 20 years. Why do it? Perhaps some smokers could enlighten us?

I agree. My daughter has taken it up over the last few years -- smoking those really smelly exotic cigs -- I just don't get it. I presume it is some kind of social thing. It was with me back in the 60's, but not sure the same would apply today... and I quit some 25 yrs ago...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess that we never think the statistics apply to us - that doesn't just go for smokers but for anyone who engages in risky behaviour - is one reason. It's also an addiction, and like many addictions is at least in part in the head as well as in the body. I'm not a terribly heavy smoker but very few of the cigarettes I smoke are pleasurable beyond taking away the craving for a cigarette.

There is also an issue of the nature of the link between, say, smoking and lung cancer. In a classical causal sense - in which if A causes B then A is a necessary and sufficient condition for B - then it is not the case that smoking causes lung cancer. Of course, it a statistical sense of causality it does - but we think we can beat the odds, and some of us will.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Does anyone enjoy their first few ciggies?
It always seemed to require a certain amount of hard work, and dedication, when I saw my classmates trying to take it up.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Does anyone enjoy their first few ciggies?
It always seemed to require a certain amount of hard work, and dedication, when I saw my classmates trying to take it up.
Made me sick as a dog. I can still remember it, 53 years later. I smoked two Parliments while hiding in the playground across the street from my house. I sucked them down with a vengeance. Within a minute or two of finishing the second one, I heaved up lunch, then being very happy that my parents were out, went home and laid in bed for the next couple of hours. I imagine I was quite green!

This did NOT stop me from trying again the next day.

Stitchawl
Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
2 pack a day habit for 10 years.. Quit 35 years ago. Hate the smell of tobacco now. Think I'll survive.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Back to the OP. This reminds me of the statistic that passive smoking (breathing the air in a room occupied by someone smolking) doubles the likelihood of health problems.

That made the news about ten years ago. And I remember well reading letters (plural) to the editor from statisticians that the conclusion was bogus. When no causality is shown, statisticians look for rates of 7 to 20 times the norm, not 2.

I suspect the same false use of statistics is at work here.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I suspect the same false use of statistics is at work here.
"There are three kinds of lies," said Mark Twain. "Lies, damn lies, and statistics!"

84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Regardless of the exact numbers, we are pretty damn sure that smoking isn't good for humans. Those of us who were heavy smokers and stopped will testify about the improvements in body conditions and general health.

Although purely anecdotal, I used to contract severe bronchitis EVERY SINGLE YEAR from ages 17-52. I stopped smoking at 52 and haven't had it again since. As an avid scuba diver I can easily measure how long my air supply lasts at a specific depth. This is increased at least 15%+ since I stopped smoking. Perhaps neither of these is a result of not smoking. Perhaps they both are. And if they are...

Stitchawl
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Stitchawl, I believe you. But you refer to your own smoking. The news report in question referred to being in the same room when someone else smokes. Different deal.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
At $8 a pack how do teens afford it?

At the grocery store today someone bought a carton. I heard the price and got weak in the knees.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #28
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Stitchawl, I believe you. But you refer to your own smoking. The news report in question referred to being in the same room when someone else smokes. Different deal.
Who knows -- statistics can be made to prove anything. I do know that my friend Margie died of lung cancer 5 years ago after living for years with a heavy smoker (her husband.) Margie never smoked.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #29
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
True, but...
The only real difference is the delivery system. The irritant is the same. Can anyone other than a tobacco industry rep imagine that any kind of irritant taken into the lungs will not be harmful? How about being in the same room with asbestos dust? Or perhaps the dust from grinding Mother of Pearl? Or formica? It really doesn't take little tubes to direct the irritant? Only the fact that it gets into the lungs.

The human body has built-in filters; all the hairs in our noses and cillia in our lungs are there just to remove irritants. They aren't tobacco smoke-specific filters. They don't care how irritants get to them. Their job is to either block them or repel them if they can. Unfortunately, they can't do a good enough job when the room is filled with irritants.

Stitchawl
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #30
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Who knows -- statistics can be made to prove anything. I do know that my friend Margie died of lung cancer 5 years ago after living for years with a heavy smoker (her husband.) Margie never smoked.
"Beware of Mashed Potatoes!" Fact - 97% of all convicted criminals regularly eat mashed potatoes in prison! 86% of them are repeat offenders. Do you really need more proof than that!

Stitchawl