Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #61
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Without looking at the details of how mega.co.nz works, they are feasible ways how you can support multiple encryption keys for the same content, for example using a two level encryption hierarchy (see here (PDF)).

With something like this, the original uploader could add a temporary password, allowing someone else to decrypt the content, and have the password later removed again. For that to work with online storage like mega.co.nz, without sharing the actual password with the hoster, one would have to be able to modify the header of the encrypted content without having to reupload everything again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Alexander are you saying that the individual user data is therefore very secure?

Or are you saying that the site owner could actually identify ways to get at the data stored?

Or neither, lol.

Or is the question: how does one share data with others?

So, if someone opens an account, loads their data and then wants to share it with others then that is possible by doing?

I know for example, that I've used data share sites to download upgraded Blackberry phone software that wasn't available in my country at that stage, but was officially available in another country. And to test beta software.

So, is that sort of sharing available using Mega?

Edit:

I think I've answered my own question below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It seems to me that the ball is back in the court of the user who sends their stuff to others.

' .... with a single right-click, I can generate a download link for the album. And then I can send it to whoever I want. It's Megaupload with a file manager.' *

So, if law authorities suspected someone they would also be sent the stuff generated through that person. Not by identifying that they're law authorities, but by seeking the stuff in whatever way others were seeking it ie providing an email address or whatever.

From an outsider looking in, it seems that it would be easier to catch people sharing stuff once word got around about 'popular' downloads, irrespective whether it's legal or illegal transfer.

PS: I use 'stuff' to explain any kinds of data

* Gizmodo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As always, you need to ask yourself whether this is a reputable company run by a trustworthy person. The answer, for me, would be "no" to both questions; I would not personally choose to entrust the security of my data (or anything else, come to that) to a person with multiple criminal convictions for fraud and embezzlement.
Harry I am uncomfortable that you have used my post to Alexander to state your position.

I asked Alexander some questions that were in the context of that post and my thinking was explained in my post to him and the following post wherein I quoted Becca Price.

As I posted on page 2 in response to BWinmill, 'I'm keeping an open mind. It's very early days re this company and Mr Dotcom's activities have been heavily 'perused' for quite some time.

One presumes that the New Zealand Government has not found fault with the use of the '.nz' or else the site wouldn't be able to use it; nor with other aspects of the new business under it's aegis.'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #62
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
But that's exactly the point, they are not. Will those services be used for files that infringe on third party's copyright? Of course, but there are a lot of legitimate use cases as well. How, exactly, does Mega differ from Rapidshare (who really got its act together recently, or so I hear), or, dare I say it, Dropbox? All those services can be abused, but all serve a legal purpose.
hhhmmm good points!
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
As always, you need to ask yourself whether this is a reputable company run by a trustworthy person. The answer, for me, would be "no" to both questions; I would not personally choose to entrust the security of my data (or anything else, come to that) to a person with multiple criminal convictions for fraud and embezzlement.
You can take it as a storage locker and do you own encryption yourself; as other have said, 50GB is nice to have. I use mostly Dropbox and, for my personal stuff, I use an encrypted drive with ENCFS.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #64
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I won't be using Dropbox anymore I don't think. This is just great. 50 Gigs! Now we're talking. As a file sharing tool this seems to me the way to go if the copywrite trolls gain any more power, but just as a Dropbox replacement it sounds fantastic.
Also, Kim Dotcom is one hilarious guy.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #65
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading some of these posts I'm startled that many people here seem to be of the opinion that file sharing (ie-pirating) is a bad thing. Myself, I'm in favor of it and have pirated many films, music and *gasp* books over the years. I've also spent A LOT of money on legal versions of same.
I haven't been on this forum in a while and I'm struck by this.. seems at odds with other places I visit. Maybe it's just me...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We do not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to advocate piracy. Do it again and you will be banned. This is your one and only warning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #67
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
We do not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to advocate piracy. Do it again and you will be banned. This is your one and only warning.
Gotcha. That was advocating. However, is one allowed to speak honestly about piracy? To give an opinion? Is it debated on this forum at all?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can certainly discuss it, as long as you don't advocate it. But (with no disrespect intended) I very much doubt that you can say anything about it that hasn't been said in a thousand previous threads. Nobody's mind is ever changed by such discussions, and they tend to result in heated exchanges.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #69
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
You can certainly discuss it, as long as you don't advocate it. But (with no disrespect intended) I very much doubt that you can say anything about it that hasn't been said in a thousand previous threads. Nobody's mind is ever changed by such discussions, and they tend to result in heated exchanges.
No offence taken. I didn't really want to engage in such a discussion in any case; I just wanted to know what is inappropriate to discuss at MR.
Thank you Harry... I think I'll go back to lurker mode now.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #70
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Perhaps it's a bit like being gay in the US army or competitive cyclists taking drugs - everybody knows that copyright infringement is going on, even among MR member, (yes, I know, shocking), but if we don't talk about it we can't be accused of advocating it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #71
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Perhaps it's a bit like being gay in the US army or competitive cyclists taking drugs - everybody knows that copyright infringement is going on, even among MR member, (yes, I know, shocking), but if we don't talk about it we can't be accused of advocating it.
What?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #72
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My two cents worth...

Piracy on the large scale, such as loading copyrighted material and making it available for the entire world to download, is not going to be helped by this service.

However...

Piracy on a small scale, however, will be greatly facilitated by this service. For example, John Q, Public decided to provide a copy of the famous monster movie Tweedledee The Wonder Mutt Vs. Tiddles The Wonder Cat to his sister Jill. John uploads his movie, and provide the download info to Jill. Jill downloads the file, and tells John she is done. John then deletes his file. The file has been passed on, on a small scale (1 person), and there would be extremely low risk to do it. Even if the download information was passed on, there is no longer anything to download. It is automating the sneakernet...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #73
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Piracy on a small scale, however, will be greatly facilitated by this service. For example, John Q, Public decided to provide a copy of the famous monster movie Tweedledee The Wonder Mutt Vs. Tiddles The Wonder Cat to his sister Jill. John uploads his movie, and provide the download info to Jill. Jill downloads the file, and tells John she is done. John then deletes his file. The file has been passed on, on a small scale (1 person), and there would be extremely low risk to do it. Even if the download information was passed on, there is no longer anything to download. It is automating the sneakernet...
Can't John just burn a DVD, or copy it on a USB stick, or give her a link to a pirate site?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #74
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The answer, of course, is yes to all three. But john may just want the convenience of an upload/download. He may want the "limited visibility" of a transient upload/download. (He may not even have a DVD burner...or his sister may live halfway around the world, with less than perfect mail service...).

I'm pointing out that small scale piracy is what will be encouraged by this service, not large scale piracy.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #75
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The answer, of course, is yes to all three. But john may just want the convenience of an upload/download. He may want the "limited visibility" of a transient upload/download. (He may not even have a DVD burner...or his sister may live halfway around the world, with less than perfect mail service...).

I'm pointing out that small scale piracy is what will be encouraged by this service, not large scale piracy.
Let me see if I got this straight:
A guy who's sister lives too far away from the civilized world to visit and to receive mail, but has a good enough internet connection to download a DVD, decides that it is more convenient to upload the DVD, sent the link and password to his sister, then delete the DVD, rather than just send a link to a pirate site to her. Also, the sister who lives far away from civilization has no problem with piracy (otherwise the present from her brother would offend her) but doesn't know how to find the film on a pirate site.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote