Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
starrigger, does he read any of your books?
I know he's read some of them. In any case, I loaded the complete set onto the Reader, which will be heading south in my mother-in-law's suitcase tomorrow. Including my one remaining book that hasn't been released as an ebook due to rights issues. (But I have it as an ebook.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Besides, I'm more adept, so to speak, at liberating epub files from handcuffs than Amazon files.
Well... you could have liberated the epubs, and converted them to mobi with calibre and emailed them to his Kindle very easily.

But... you made your bed now you have to eat it... wait what?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #33
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... you could have liberated the epubs, and converted them to mobi with calibre and emailed them to his Kindle very easily.
But that would have been more work!

Quote:
But... you made your bed now you have to eat it... wait what?

BOb
Mmm-mmm, munch munch.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #34
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Definitely Kindle - text to speech and free 3G global wireless will be best for the elder
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #35
valerian
valerian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, can I ask - which company (Amazon v Barnes & Noble) have the greater list of available books and the cheapest?
valerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #36
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I just showed my 82 year old father in law my PRS-900. He loves the zoom function and the touch screen. Although I think he would struggle with the touch screen because he seems to have trouble with the touch pad on his laptop.

I wondered if a PRS-505 would be a good choice?

I sent him home with a PDF book to read on his laptop to whet his appetite.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #37
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I just showed my 82 year old father in law my PRS-900. He loves the zoom function and the touch screen. Although I think he would struggle with the touch screen because he seems to have trouble with the touch pad on his laptop.
The touch screen on the Sony is pretty different from the touchpad mouse on a laptop. It's not nearly as susceptible to unintentional movements, for one thing.

Here's something I learned over time with my 700: for turning pages, don't swipe with your fingertip, which I found often failed to register, so I'd have to repeat it. Instead, use the back of your fingernail and just lightly stroke the screen. I discovered this when I noticed that the screen is more responsive to the stylus tip than to a fingertip.

This also has the virtue of leaving no fingerprints on the screen.

If your father-in-law liked the touchscreen, he might enjoy the 600.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #38
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Well, my father-in-law got his Sony Touch for his birthday, and he loves it! We'll see how it works out in the long run, but he at least got great pleasure out of his initial experience with it.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Well, my father-in-law got his Sony Touch for his birthday, and he loves it! We'll see how it works out in the long run, but he at least got great pleasure out of his initial experience with it.
The refurbished PSR-600 I ordered from Woot.com arrived today. I haven't had much time to play with it yet as it just finished charging, but so far it seems to have pretty quick response and appears to be much more intuitive than I anticipated. I think I'm going to like this little bugger. I like the way the menus are arranged on the main screen.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote