Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Opus and Mobipocket .. any idea WHEN?

ok .. of course I sent an email to Bookeen and have heard nothing back

I'm wondering if any one of you lovely people have been given any hint of an idea when the Opus may be available with the mobipocket access rather than the EPub? .. It's just that I already have my Gen3 and a gazillion books from fictionwise (by far the cheapest place to get the books I want!) in Mobipocket format so need/want to continue with it ..

Thanks so much

loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
ok .. of course I sent an email to Bookeen and have heard nothing back

I'm wondering if any one of you lovely people have been given any hint of an idea when the Opus may be available with the mobipocket access rather than the EPub? .. It's just that I already have my Gen3 and a gazillion books from fictionwise (by far the cheapest place to get the books I want!) in Mobipocket format so need/want to continue with it ..

Thanks so much

loopy

If I understand what I've heard/read correctly, ummmmm... never.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If I understand what I've heard/read correctly, ummmmm... never.

Derek
No. Bookeen is indeed working on it. I'm waiting on that firmware. When it's ready I'm getting an Opus.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My opinion, and its only an opinion, is that both Derek and Nate are correct!

I think that Bookeen's stated plan is to deliver two different firmwares. I believe that they are working now on getting out a new firmware with epub. I do believe that they will eventually make the epub software available and it will work on at least the most recent generation of Gen 3's. However, I'm less convinced that they will ever get around to delivering mobi support. By the time they get around to it, and by the time they are able to deliver it, I suspect they will have other priorities.

Now that you have my opinion, you should know that my accuracy rate is 50/50 at best on these sort of things. So, who knows. However, I think Nate is taking the correct approach of waiting for delivery if its important because I don't think you can count on it being available.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
As for reading your Mobi eBooks on your Opus, you can convert them in between...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FWIW, I queried this with Bookeen when I first got my Opus, and was told that the Mobi firmware would be released "during August". They didn't actually say August 2009, however...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Oh, please, don't start it again !

We KNOW you want the update. Reapeating it all over again won't makes things go faster.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, Eowyn, was that aimed at me? I don't particularly want a Mobi update for my Opus; I'm quite happy with ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, it was not aimed at you. More a general note.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Reapeating it all over again won't makes things go faster.
It does have a merit of warning newcomers to the forum about Bookeen though.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

What is there to warn about ?

There is only thing bookeen HAVE to do, is the bugfix for the opus. Because there are bugs. if ePub or folders or whatever is important to you, you should have bought a reader that support these.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What is there to warn about ?
That you cannot trust promises from Bookeen.

Quote:
There is only thing bookeen HAVE to do, is the bugfix for the opus. Because there are bugs. if ePub or folders or whatever is important to you, you should have bought a reader that support these.
Well. since they have not fixed important bugs in the Gen 3 do not count on any bug fixes for the Opus.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Well. since they have not fixed important bugs in the Gen 3 do not count on any bug fixes for the Opus.
I've rarely seen the Gen3 crash. Only with some weirdo pdf. The opus crashes to the point of annoyance.

Quote:
That you cannot trust promises from Bookeen.
I doubt bookeen did promise you anything at all. I certainly don't remember them promising anything to me. And no company would be as stupid as to promise anything.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-21-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
I doubt bookeen did promise you anything at all. I certainly don't remember them promising anything to me. And no company would be as stupid as to promise anything.
There's certainly an implication that a Mobipocket-supporting firmware will be made available for the Opus. Now, admittedly if one chooses to very carefully parse what they say, they don't say that they will supply such a firmware, only that it "can be available".

Personally I bought my Opus on the understanding that it does what it does right now, and that there should be bug fixes if necessary -- which they are, and which Bookeen support have told me they're working on in response to a bug report -- but not on the basis of any additional functionality that wasn't included in the original firmware.

Even though there's that implication of Mobipocket support.
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Quote from Bookeens offical Blog:

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Adobe PDF and EPUB will be present in Bookeen products

Bookeen has signed an agreement with Adobe to license the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK for its products.
The new software engine delivers support for reflowable PDF technology, Adobe’s content protection technology, as well as the EPUB file format, an XML-based eBook standard with broad support from the publishing industry.
The Bookeen products will be compatible with Adobe Digital Edition Desktop application (compatible both on PCs and Macs) enabling users to acquire and download their content from a variety of sources.
Both the PDF and EPUB support will become available through a software release scheduled in quarter 1 2009, more details will follow later.

Tags are: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 new products Adobe epub firmware pdf reflow

http://bookeen.blogspot.com/
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote