Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Diesel eBooks adds mobile browser support

Try visiting Diesel eBooks with a mobile browser and you will see that they now automatically sense your browser and redirect it to a mobile-friendly version of their site. Very nice addition!

If you visit them, don't forget our exclusive 20% discount on any e-book valid until 2/15/05.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
They support DRM and their books exceed $1. Poor value.
Advert
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
I'm viewing this on a Mac, OS X with Firefox 1.0 and all I can get is the mobile edition. So either their detection is malfunctioning or they have permanently switched to mobile format. (Same thing on Safari.)

It might be a very good niche to specialize in mobile sales rather than go head to head with the other ebookstores.

Anyone else seeing only the mobile format in their desktop browser?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried their official link, http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/, with Firefox 1.0 (Win) and it presents the deskton version.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Brad
Zealot

Then the auto-detect is malfunctioning. They really need to have a link to let me manually override.
Advert
Old 01-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Brad
Zealot

It works in Opera and Internet Explorer but not Safari or Firefox - very weird. They also have no contact info on the mobile version - i was going to warn them but I could not even find a way to contact them when stuck in the mobile version.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #7
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast
Diesel eBooks began at the beginning.

Dang... the cat is somewhat out of the bag now.

The mobile version shouldn't be served to anybody presently, because we're still testing. Do me a favor. Those that are being served the mobile site from their desktop, you'll notice in the footer at the bottom of the page some light colored text that lists several different browsers. Can you please copy and paste that to an email and send to me at scott@diesel-ebooks.com

I do appreciate the heads-up on this. Thanks.
Scott
Diesel eBooks
Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel eBooks
Those that are being served the mobile site from their desktop, you'll notice in the footer at the bottom of the page some light colored text that lists several different browsers. Can you please copy and paste that to an email and send to me at scott@diesel-ebooks.com
If you're relying on UserAgent detection to render your pages or decide which content to display, you're doing something wrong.

The whole point of properly-designed web content, is that you do NOT have to rely on UserAgent values, separate CSS and HTML structures, and other backwards-moving technologies.

Use standards-compliant technologies, and you will remain forward-compatible, and you will also work on many more devices and platforms than you do now, at much lower cost (dollars and time), and you will use much less code to drive it.

I'm sure I can help, if you tell me what your goals are (public or private is fine).
Old 01-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel eBooks
Dang... the cat is somewhat out of the bag now.
Sorry Scott, I wouldn't have posted about it if I had known the mobile page was not yet "official". Morpheus had told me about it before; then a few days later when I browsed your page using Pocket Internet Explorer and was automatically redirected to the PDA version, I thought it was ready for public.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
Diesel eBooks
Enthusiast
Diesel eBooks began at the beginning.

no big deal. We need the useability testing anyway. While we're still trialing you (and any of our other mobileread friends) can help us out, though. We've arranged to make available a "test" ebook that has DRM. Sorry, I know some of you don't like Adobe, but that's how it worked out. Anyway, if you get a moment, go to the site on your handheld, download the "test" ebook on the homepage and let me know what happens. If the PDA version doesn't come up, please also let us know. I’ll start another thread in this forum for any feedback. When you’re there, you’ll notice in the footer at the bottom of the page some light colored text that lists several different browsers. Can you please include that and your handheld type in the feedback.

We appreciate it.

Scott
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com
Old 06-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #11
jenesepas
please b nice 2 me
jenesepas began at the beginning.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
If you're relying on UserAgent detection to render your pages or decide which content to display, you're doing something wrong.

The whole point of properly-designed web content, is that you do NOT have to rely on UserAgent values, separate CSS and HTML structures, and other backwards-moving technologies.

Use standards-compliant technologies, and you will remain forward-compatible, and you will also work on many more devices and platforms than you do now, at much lower cost (dollars and time), and you will use much less code to drive it.

I'm sure I can help, if you tell me what your goals are (public or private is fine).
I think i'm doing something similar. We have a site with 2 versions, 1 for normal PC and 1for PDA and we want to auto-detect which device they use to show the suitable version.

Hacker, can you suggest a way of doing this with standards-compliant technologies? Because I was thinking of using useragent as well.

thanks a bunch

Last edited by jenesepas; 06-23-2005 at 02:04 AM.
Closed Thread