Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
arkanjo
arkanjo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Good 6" Android eReader to play book, less than 150U$ ?

Hi,
I'm from Brazil(my english is not good, sorry), here not has many option to ereaders, only Kindle, kobo ... but no one with Android.

Found in site banggood the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2 and Boyue T63 JDRead.
But what is the best, or other model more new in similar price to suggest?

I want android to open app Play books and Amazon kindle, more Play books because like TTS and has books and pdf syncing with cellphone...

This eReaders is good ? what is the best 6", don't know what i buy.

Tell me about, a comparation, good and bad. And about Play Store? run in this readers ? or only if rooted ?

Thank u by any information and help.
arkanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanjo View Post
Hi,
I'm from Brazil(my english is not good, sorry), here not has many option to ereaders, only Kindle, kobo ... but no one with Android.

Found in site banggood the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2 and Boyue T63 JDRead.
But what is the best, or other model more new in similar price to suggest?

I want android to open app Play books and Amazon kindle, more Play books because like TTS and has books and pdf syncing with cellphone...

This eReaders is good ? what is the best 6", don't know what i buy.

Tell me about, a comparation, good and bad. And about Play Store? run in this readers ? or only if rooted ?

Thank u by any information and help.
Boyue T63 does not have a headphone so cant use TTS. The global firmware is buggy so it crashes a lot and battery drains out in a day unless you shut it down (though rumors are a new firmware will be out this month). The button on its side are singular so you cant use the same hand to move forward or back. But it was easy to root and install google play to get other apps.
I had Boyue T62D earlier which ran a lot better and was able to put energy sistem firmware on it that came pre installed with google play. I got T63 because of the better screen but would not recommend it. BTW a new version of T62 has been released named T62 Mega I would have ordered that if I already hadn't ordered the T63 a week or so before T62 Mega was released.
I am not recommending the seller or anything just showing you the device I am talking about.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...366950811.html
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
arkanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Boyue T63 does not have a headphone so cant use TTS. The global firmware is buggy so it crashes a lot and battery drains out in a day unless you shut it down (though rumors are a new firmware will be out this month). The button on its side are singular so you cant use the same hand to move forward or back. But it was easy to root and install google play to get other apps.
I had Boyue T62D earlier which ran a lot better and was able to put energy sistem firmware on it that came pre installed with google play. I got T63 because of the better screen but would not recommend it. BTW a new version of T62 has been released named T62 Mega I would have ordered that if I already hadn't ordered the T63 a week or so before T62 Mega was released.
I am not recommending the seller or anything just showing you the device I am talking about.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...366950811.html
The specifications of this T62Mega is similar to the Onix C67ML Carta2.
Can you tell which is better?

I have read some complaints about C67ML, but Carta2 is a newer version, I did not find out whether it is better or not. I was almost buying this Onix C67ML Carta2, now I'm in doubt on which to buy.

Who else has opinion on Onix and T62Mega suggested thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Caution - I have Energy Sistem Pro HD ereader (a variation of Boyue T62D). It is a decent reader, but not when using Play Books or Kindle App. Neither of those apps is optimised for eink and I fear you may be disappointed if you have to use those 2 apps to read.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:47 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The specifications of this T62Mega is similar to the Onix C67ML Carta2.
Can you tell which is better?

I have read some complaints about C67ML, but Carta2 is a newer version, I did not find out whether it is better or not. I was almost buying this Onix C67ML Carta2, now I'm in doubt on which to buy.

Who else has opinion on Onix and T62Mega suggested thank you.
The specs are more or less the same. I have not used onyx devices so cant recommend one or the other. But Onyx has a forum here on mobile read you can ask these guys but from what I know Onyx has got google play firmware available where as Boyue T62 Mega so far does not.
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
arkanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Caution - I have Energy Sistem Pro HD ereader (a variation of Boyue T62D). It is a decent reader, but not when using Play Books or Kindle App. Neither of those apps is optimised for eink and I fear you may be disappointed if you have to use those 2 apps to read.

Really?!? I did not know they were not optimized. Ironic that an ebook app is not optimized for ereader.
But what are the problems? Do you know of any video or pictures of the Play book or Kindle app running on these ereader?

I'm totally new to it. I only saw the Kindle personally, no other. I always read on the phone, so I have some books I bought and PDF in the Play Book, now I wanted something better to see if I start reading more and so many doubts on which device to buy.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Play book and Kindle were designed for tablets/phones with LCD screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Really?!? I did not know they were not optimized. Ironic that an ebook app is not optimized for ereader.
But what are the problems? Do you know of any video or pictures of the Play book or Kindle app running on these ereader?

I'm totally new to it. I only saw the Kindle personally, no other. I always read on the phone, so I have some books I bought and PDF in the Play Book, now I wanted something better to see if I start reading more and so many doubts on which device to buy.
You can go through the thread here where play books on eink devices was discussed
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...45#post3439145
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:

My experience of the apps on my Pro HD has been:

Kindle App - unstable, slow to load, no mapping to page turn buttons, no screen refresh, fonts look quite pale and page tune ghosting gradually makes this worse (I found I had to force manual refresh every couple of pages). As JSWolf has pointed out in other postings, the latest versions of the Kindle App require Android 5+ whereas you be using Android 4.2 and, therefore, an older version of the app (this may be important to you).

Play Books App - slow in navigating around, page turn buttons only worked if I had 3d page turning on, but that makes page turning quite slow, no screen refresh (I forced manual refresh every 6 pages), as each page is turned the left hand margin moved further and further left, text is less "greyed" than on Kindle but not as strong as eink optimised reading apps.

I cannot comment on PDFs because I now avoid reading PDFs on an eink reader.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
arkanjo

tks by comments about Kindle app and play books.

Nor did I think these programs did not work well. By being made for ebook I figured first thing would work with e-ink. But OK.

And with other apps. Are these eReaders better than device like Kindle or Kobo? Is it worth buying one with android?

Can anyone else recommend about them? Who has an Onyx carta2 can you tell me opinion?

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Is there some reason you can't use calibre to convert your books to the ereader friendly format.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One problem is that these Android Readers use an older version of android such as 4.2. So you have to look and see if the apps you want to use would work on that old a version of Android. A lot of apps need at least 4.4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #13
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I know it's not what you asked for, and it doesn't have an E-ink display(don't actually recall you saying you had to have e-ink), but if I were you, and it wasn't a deal breaker to read from a very good IPS LCD display @ 1920x1080 with a decent capacitive touchscreen, I'd consider an 8" Nuvision TM800W610L Signature Edition (no bloatware) Windows 10 tablet. It's run by an Intel Atom X5-Z8300 with 2GB RAM and a 32GB EMMC, expandable through SDXC so pretty much the sky's the limit for a mobile tablet device. Being a full Windows 10 Home tablet you can easily run Calibre on it and store a MASSIVE library on SDXC. One word of caution, they're a little slow until you run all the Windows 10 updates(through Creator's or further with the Insider's Ring) and let everything settle -helps a lot to delete the old version of Win 10 when updating or install it from an ISO downloaded to your SDXC card or a flash drive, as the internal Emmc drive C: is only 32GB for everything!

If you must have Android you can easily install MeMU on it and run most apps, albeit at the price of battery because the android is emulated... I use MeMu to run Appy Geek on mine. Sucks a little battery, but again Android is being emulated and with Appy Geek you're continually downloading and displaying images/text so the screen and Wifi are sucking the power up too. I use a Win 10 Store App for epubs and with the screen turned down to 5-10% it's plenty bright, and with Wifi off(airplane mode) power draw isn't too bad -it's still a tablet, but not bad.

These little guys were available for $59 brand new at Christmas time and can be found for near that used in great condition or around $75-85 new easily on eBay, Amazon, etc. Microsoft Store still has them brand new for $149, often going on sale for $79. I wouldn't pay $149 for one, but at $80, or so, they're a phenomenal steal. They have a sturdy aluminum shell, weigh about 10 ounces and are IMHO a remarkable value, especially if you can use Win 10 and wouldn't mind an 8" screen on a sleek device about 0.30" thick. I didn't buy mine as an ereader, but it serves very well as one. Matter of fact, I'd say it's an even tossup between whether I grab it or my Kobo Glo, granted the Glo is not the latest model, but that's the comparison for you. I haven't spent a penny on software and at $79 it's like getting a free tablet and a $20 bill stuck in your pocket compared to buying a copy of Win 10 Home OS...

The full version of Win 10 Home OS gives you much to consider in terms of it being used as a highly mobile mini-PC with a bluetooth or onscreen keyboard. MS Word, Excel, OneNote, etc. are available for free in full mobile versions capable of content creation from the Windows App Store, you can run whatever video or movie player you like for Win 10 -I use KODI because you can jack up the volume pre-amplification and still get pretty decent sound out of the built-in speakers, although they are positioned for portrait mode, not landscape. Much louder than VLC, etc. TTS is available, etc. Comic & PDF readers can be had for free. Standard 1/8" headphone jack.

I'm adding a link for information purposes. I hope no one takes offense.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...t/8pqxt2zn12td

These little buggers are hard to beat for the money. If you must have Android and can live with a decent IPS display, Nuvision may have an Android version. These are worth a look and a decent alternative. Not, however, an e-ink device.

Best of luck!

Last edited by TechniSol; 08-15-2017 at 12:43 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote