Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
wbrells
wbrells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Why are old versions of book being sent to Kindle?

I've been editing an EPUB book with calibre and then sending updated versions to my Paperwhite Kindle reader. I don't get any error messages, but when I look at the book on the Kindle, NONE of my updates are showing up! This happens even if I delete the book on the Kindle and resend it from calibre.

I don't see the old version anywhere in the calibre version of the book on my computer, so I have no idea where that old version is coming from! Is there some hidden cache copy of the original version of the book that need to be "cleaned out" or is there some calibre "refresh" command that I need to give?

Any help with this perplexing problem would be greatly appreciated!

Wayne
wbrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUBs are not ent to kindle. You need to either edit an azw3 and resend or after editing the epub convert it to azw3 and then resend.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
wbrells

kovidegoyal,

It was my understanding that calibre would automatically convert EPUB files to azw3 format when they were sent to a Kindle. In fact, this certainly seems to have happened the FIRST TIME that I sent my book to the Kindle. I'm not sure, therefore, why new versions of the EPUB version are not also being converted and uploaded...

Wayne
Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrells View Post
kovidegoyal,

It was my understanding that calibre would automatically convert EPUB files to azw3 format when they were sent to a Kindle. In fact, this certainly seems to have happened the FIRST TIME that I sent my book to the Kindle. I'm not sure, therefore, why new versions of the EPUB version are not also being converted and uploaded...

Wayne
That only happens WHEN there was not an existing Kindle format already.

You need to force a re-conversion:
1) delete the AZW3 from Calibre so it will convert to the needed format.
2) run convert SELECTING the input format: and the OUTPUT format These remember some prior use and are biased by: Preferences Behavior
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Isn't it true that making an AZW3 from an ePub will use the epub_ORIGINAL file, if you've done a conversion/cleanup of an ePub? If you want the AZW3 to match the cleaned up epub, you'd have to delete the _ORIGINAL first? Could this be the OT's problem?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
wbrells

It only seems necessary to convert the EPUB version to AZW3 and then send THAT version of the file to the Kindle. I haven't seen a need to delete anything first... Wayne

Tags
old version of book, paperwhite, send to device