Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #46
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Can it be that so far noone wanted to get The Lord of the Rings on the kindle?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that everyone who actually wants it, has it.

Requesting this book would be no more than

It's not the publisher who's refusing to release it as an eBook - HarperCollins are actually one of the more "enlightened" publishers, and do a range of eBooks. It's the literary estate of Mr. T. who are against it, and I can't see that changing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #48
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that everyone who actually wants it, has it.
Oh I do have it - more then once actually.
That doesnt keep me from wanting it as an eBook.

Quote:
It's not the publisher who's refusing to release it as an eBook - HarperCollins are actually one of the more "enlightened" publishers, and do a range of eBooks. It's the literary estate of Mr. T. who are against it, and I can't see that changing.
Well .. perhaps if HarperCollins is asking them often enough they might think twice?
After all: What do they want? That a fantastic book is read - or not?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course I'd love to be wrong about it, but I don't think we'll get eBooks while Christopher Tolkien is alive.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #50
tirsales

I fear you are right, but I still believe in hope.
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #51
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Um , isn't it a bit deceitful to request eversions unless you intend to actually purchase them?

I get the impression people are clicking on books they'll never buy.

How will publishers know how popular ebooks genuinely are if we're giving them distorted feedback?
Actually, I've seen a bunch of books on this list that lead me to say Wanta! So, I think that there will be a lot of purchaces. Beside that, I think that the books we request will reflect the reading styles of this group and therefore lead to an expanded awareness of our particular demographic by the publishing houses.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #52
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Um , isn't it a bit deceitful to request eversions unless you intend to actually purchase them?

I get the impression people are clicking on books they'll never buy.

How will publishers know how popular ebooks genuinely are if we're giving them distorted feedback?
I don't have a problem with it and my conscience is clear. I doubt Amazon or Sony have problems with anything that puts more money in their pockets (same with the publishers).

I'm purchasing ebooks that I never would have bought in paper. My horizons have been broadened. It is more likely that I will read it if it is in eBook form.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #53
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Can it be that so far noone wanted to get The Lord of the Rings on the kindle?
I've actually thought about that a few times. I'll add it. If we can beat Rowling's dead horse, we can beat Tolkien's. An equal opportunity beating for everyone!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Remember, for every eBook you request for the Kindlle, please also request for the 500/505 and visa-versa.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

To back up Jon's reminder (I've been requesting them in small groups since the first big chunk) here is a copy and past list of the newest additions to use for Sony.

The Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling

The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)

Chainfire: Chainfire Trilogy, Part 1 (Sword of Truth, Book 9) by Terry Goodkind
Confessor (Sword Of Truth) by Terry Goodkind

Atlas Shrugged - by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead - by Ayn Rand
We the Living - by Ayn Rand

Mind Game (GhostWalkers, Book 2) - by Christine Feehan
Dark Prince (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 1) - by Christine Feehan
Harmony's Way (The Breeds, Book 2) - by Lora Leigh
Perfect - by Judith McNaught

Doris Lessing's the Golden Notebook ; A Critical Study by Doris Lessing. ISBN-10 006093140X.
Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap. ISBN-10 0802142346
Sigrid Undsets "Kristin Lavransdatter": Kristins religiøse utvikling by Sigrid Undset. ISBN-10 0143039164.

From James Clavell
Tai-Pan
Noble House
Gai-Jin
Shogun

From J. R. R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
The Hobbit

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-23-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well done daffy4u. I'm going to go do some requesting in a few at both Sony and Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
That pointless title change still bugs me. Did they think that American children wouldn't understand the original UK title?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #58
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
That pointless title change still bugs me. Did they think that American children wouldn't understand the original UK title?
Would many ten year-olds anywhere understand what the 'Philosopher's Stone' referred to?

As it was an alchemical notion, sorcery actually seems more apposite then philosophy imho.
(It's a shame we still call it the 'Philosopher's Stone' - associating a magical rock with philosophy is a bit like associating horoscopes with astronomy. )
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Would many ten year-olds anywhere understand what the 'Philosopher's Stone' referred to?
Considering the fact that it was clearly explained in the book, then yes, I'm sure that they would.

As far as the meaning goes, what we now call "science" was indeed considered to be a part of "Philosophy" until the middle of the 19th century. Science courses at Cambridge University are, to this day, referred to as "Natural Philosophy".
Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #60
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Considering the fact that it was clearly explained in the book, then yes, I'm sure that they would.
But not before reading it?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, kindle, publisher, request books, sony