Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #61
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
Booxtor,
Any update on a potential release date (or release quarter even)? I am thinking about buying a new device and it would be helpful to know. Thanks.
Updates? Updates?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Booxtor hasn't logged in since November.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #63
phyzjqk
Connoisseur
phyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the roughphyzjqk is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Max2/SP4:Dell x50v /Iliad /Nokia:
When it will be released. I need it ASAP! I can afford $1500 for these kind of device!
phyzjqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #64
espinosa00011
Enthusiast
espinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the rough

Device: None
Hello,

I am also intereseted. But I will no pay more than 700 dollars.

Best regards.
Carlos Hernandez.
espinosa00011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #65
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Booxtor hasn't logged in since November.
It didn't sound like Booxtor. It looked like somebody else was typing instead.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
It didn't sound like Booxtor. It looked like somebody else was typing instead.
I'm not really quite sure what you're saying here. The Booxtor account at MobileRead hasn't logged in since November. I have no knowledge of the person using the account at that time nor at any earlier time.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #67
esfandiyar2002
Enthusiast
esfandiyar2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
I saw this in comment section of one of the postings on goodreader:

``Doom and gloom. Onyx Vaporware (or not) the company reaffirms their comments of an up and coming 13.3 inch device :

"11/01/2016
Thanks for your email, as you know ONYX BOOX is a eink reader manufactory, for ONYX company we could not define screen resolution, we develop our ereader models according to eink screen factory (PVI, Taiwanese factory). Now we're developing 13.3" e-reader with digitiz stylus touch. If you need big size model, maybe you can wait for this model, we plan to release it in Q1, welcome to visit our official website www.onyx-international.com."``
esfandiyar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #68
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
There's an alibaba ad showing a marketing picture for the 13.3" reader, it's called the Boox Max
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...399426767.html

The ad is actually for the N96ML 9.7" reader, but it also shows the Max and the Kepler

Last edited by skobie78; 01-13-2016 at 05:02 AM.
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #69
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
As a disappointed M96C user, could I recommend these enhancements for the new model :-
- Sort out the contrast problem, this makes most apps unusable on the M96 without constantly fiddling with the contrast setting. No other eBook reader even needs contrast settings.
- Metal case, plastic is flimsy, creaks and is inadequate on 9.6" and would be disastrous on a 13" model,
- Better touch screen, M96C is poor and unresponsive and results in a fuzzy, dull screen.

Other than that, a higher res screen over the M96 would be a huge improvement - can't wait to see it.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #70
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by azw409 View Post
As a disappointed M96C user, could I recommend these enhancements for the new model :
- Metal case, plastic is flimsy, creaks and is inadequate on 9.6" and would be disastrous on a 13" model.
A metal case would be too heavy on 13". Also the screen would be fragile even with a metal case. I would much prefer a plastic screen with a light plastic case. If Wexler and Sony could do it, so can Onyx. I think I read somewhere that is what they're planning.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #71
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by azw409 View Post
As a disappointed M96C user, could I recommend these enhancements for the new model :-
- Sort out the contrast problem, this makes most apps unusable on the M96 without constantly fiddling with the contrast setting. No other eBook reader even needs contrast settings.
- Metal case, plastic is flimsy, creaks and is inadequate on 9.6" and would be disastrous on a 13" model,
- Better touch screen, M96C is poor and unresponsive and results in a fuzzy, dull screen.

Other than that, a higher res screen over the M96 would be a huge improvement - can't wait to see it.
I agree.

I'm going to write right now a "rebuttal" about Onyx Boox in a new forum thread, plus sending a copy to Booxtor (where I sold it) and Onyx compani(es). It might take some time until I find the words and finish some stuff.

This is just a draft of a small section of it:

They must stop making new half baken hardware and fix the software of their current models.

Their idea about others copying their code is flawed:

* Let them do it, just get ahead of it so they can't match in your software development
* Learn to deal with the FOSS community, seriously. There's great opportunities, you need a proper bunch of internal developers helping projects (KOreader, for example) and developoment communities such as XDA. There's F-Droid too.
** You are selling hardware, so make FOSS flow in your hardware and prepare your developers to become part of the ecosystem. Don't worry about their flawed English, just make sure they proggressively improve at it, it's a lot easier than learn computer programming.
** If you are FOSS friendly, you get a lot of respect. People would consider more your product, they would love to be able to have a more updated and personalizable system.

The issue with the case is a problem, indeed. I got the cover because I don't trust on the cases of ebook readers.

My Kindle DXG it's getting dust with a broken screen. Maybe I'll buy some screens if they are cheap, one for it and others for electronics experiments.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #72
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
A metal case would be too heavy on 13". Also the screen would be fragile even with a metal case. I would much prefer a plastic screen with a light plastic case. If Wexler and Sony could do it, so can Onyx. I think I read somewhere that is what they're planning.
Seems to work very well on the new iPad Pro and it's light too. Aluminium or titanium has far more strength per weight than plastic or airplanes would be made of plastic !
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #73
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Stylus storage should be in-device, and inside-device, not mearly on-device. For example, that loop sticking out on the side of the Sony is horrible.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. On a 13.3" device I want a proper pen to write, not those mini and thin stylus I get for example with my current Onyx Boox. If you want a proper pen stored inside the device, the device itself would become too thick IMO. I'd also like to have the pen stored securely inside the device, but between the two I'll go for a decently-thick device instead.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:35 AM   #74
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi, We should be reasonable about the features of the device, metal, and pen inside the device, will not happen, look at the Sony device, and hope that we get this one with with higher resolution, faster processor and android + the reader from M96

The simple explanation of what would go wrong with these suggestions, metal and make the pen house inside the device would make the cost of manufacture this thing goes up, how much? well how much an iPad costs and how much the Sony reader costs, and if I remember right everybody are saying something like "I don't want this to cost as expensive as the Sony device"

Now I used an iPhone and I used a Samsung Note 3, I prefer the Note 3 for it's flexibility and weight, Note 3 made of plastic was tougher phone for me than the iPhone. I do like the pen inside the Note 3, and I wouldn't mind a pen that size, but not if it increase the cost of manufacture, a 13" device will always be with a cover like my M96+, and the pen is always there, no big deal.

Now, things like weight and thickness are more important than any additional features, this thing is a secondary device for reading, you want to take it and your laptop in a bag pack to college, work or travelling, you want something easy to put in that back.

The position of the buttons are important, because you want the button for next page easy to access, even the flatness of the device back is important if you want to put it on the table and draw! it should not feel like a rocking chair

The device should be designed to be comfortable to hold in one hand for long hours of readings.

And before you suggest that maybe I should go and buy the Sony device (because I did mention it several times), it's for me still an open possibility, if I don't like what Onyx come up with, but I have a feeling that they are smart people, and they have been doing great job asking people for feedback.

End of January, I think there are 2-3 months before we see the device
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #75
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
One step closer! just listed by Onyx on Alibaba
http://m.alibaba.com/product/6037945...onitor-13.html
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote