Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
3G PW2 now or wait for eventual PW3 release?

Hi, I can't come to a decision so I'd appreciate some advice from anyone more experienced in buying Kindles.

I have no 3G gadgets (dumb phone and wifi ipad) I have a lovely PW2 WiFi - set up with all sideloaded stuff in right collections along with every other book bought.

Buyers remorse that I didn't get 3G, I do miss it - I travel and I like wikiP in galleries and museums etc.

I know I definitely want a 3G PW in the next Kindle I buy.

I would certainly wait for a PW3 3G version to come out eventually, if it wasn't for: a) perhaps they won't release a 3G version this time and b) perhaps they'll stop making the PW2 3G well ahead of the PW3 release. In other words phase one out and not introduce 3G as an option next time. Leaving me unable to buy one, oh no! oh no!

What are your thoughts? In your experience, are all previous models available after a new model is released (I can see the PW1s are still around)? And are there any indications that Amazon is getting less 'into' supporting 3G as an option.

Really would be happy to have your feedback, if you have the time. What I don't want to do is buy a PW2 3G now, when I have a PW that does what I want it to for the moment, and then see a good upgrade in the PW3 with 3G version which I then can't justify getting.
Cheers.
a
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'd say enjoy the kindle you have, and wait for the next one. I don't see any reason why the next version wouldn't have 3G. It is very popular with a lot of people.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
yeah, at the very least you could find one on eBay new (supposing that for some inexpainable reason they don't have a 3G model)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a 3G model of KPW2 I mean
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
At this late stage if you can hold out, I would recommend holding out for the possible 2014 version.

I am in the same boat as you, I am "trying" to hold out for the 2014 Fire. I have not heard good things about the HDX and I want to upgrade with my 32gbs and camera, so I am hoping the 2014 version improves on the flaws of the HDX.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+1 for booklover6's post. Just wait. In the very unlikely event that they don't release a 3G version of the next model, you could just buy a second hand PW2 3G.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
At this late stage if you can hold out, I would recommend holding out for the possible 2014 version.
The PW2 was released a little over 5 months ago. It's hardly a "late stage" to buy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PW2 was released a little over 5 months ago. It's hardly a "late stage" to buy it.
Not late stage per se but since they usually are announced or released in the fall, it might be in the OPs best interest to wait rather than buy the 2013 version.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post

I am in the same boat as you, I am "trying" to hold out for the 2014 Fire. I have not heard good things about the HDX and I want to upgrade with my 32gbs and camera, so I am hoping the 2014 version improves on the flaws of the HDX.
I personally have a lotta love for my 8.9 HDX. It won't replace an e-ink reader and it could be bigger but I've not had any problems with it.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
I personally have a lotta love for my 8.9 HDX. It won't replace an e-ink reader and it could be bigger but I've not had any problems with it.
Thanks for that, though I am more interested in issues others were having with the 7" version. But since the new one will hopefully come out in 6 months or so, I will wait for the new one just to see what new features they will offer. I really don't need the HDX but since the HD version does not come in 32 GBs, I can do without the camera but I need the 32 GBs for my audibles.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
. . .What I don't want to do is buy a PW2 3G now, when I have a PW that does what I want it to for the moment, and then see a good upgrade in the PW3 with 3G version which I then can't justify getting.
Cheers.
a
You answered your own question here. Just wait for the next version as you already have a PW that does what you want for now. Then, when it does come out, you can get the 3G version, or at the very least get the PW2 3G if worse comes to worse.

By the way, I love my Fire 8.9 HDX. It's a great tablet.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any chance we will get n updated non paperwhite version ?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it extremely unlikely that there will be a 3G Basic Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Thanks for taking the time to answer. As mentioned, just wondering, given the longer waiting time for PW 2 3G in the uk if there'd be a risk of them being phased out in the lead up to a PW3 release.

And I've seen some comments re 3G not being such a seller for Amazon, so was wondering if I'd fall between the two. Of course no real way to know. But thanks for for the input.

Cheers
A
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it extremely unlikely that there will be a 3G Basic Kindle.
I think he meant just an updated one, not one with 3G