Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Update Device Rather Than Delete and Resend to Device?

Now that I have a ton of books on my Kindle Touch, I realize that I should have included series info in the book titles to facilitate sorting. Do I need to delete all the poorly named books from the device and then resend the well-named substitutes to the device, or is it possible to do a sync without deleting the books already on the device? If one can fix the names with a sync only (i.e. without deleting the books already on the device), how does one do that kind of sync?

P.S. If all I do is change the file name and resend it to my Touch, I create a duplicate file on the device. The original file stays on the device, along with the new, renamed version. So I guess my question is, is there a sync function that replaces the old version on the device with the renamed version sent to the device, or am I stuck with deleting and resending every book that I want to rename for better sorting?

Last edited by Jimbo724; 07-11-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: more specificity
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
P.S. If all I do is change the file name and resend it to my Touch, I create a duplicate file on the device. The original file stays on the device, along with the new, renamed version. So I guess my question is, is there a sync function that replaces the old version on the device with the renamed version sent to the device, or am I stuck with deleting and resending every book that I want to rename for better sorting?
I may or may not have an answer. You're so right about stuff staying on the device when you click on the device's delete.

It's still a lot of work, but I've found on my Kindle v4 that if I delete files with Calibre they don't get stored in the Archives list like they do if I delete them via the device itself. I spent hours on the phone with Kindle people trying to remove duplicates. Never did work right. They said I had to delete everything from my Amazon archives (at Manage your Kindle) then I could delete everything from the Kindle!!!!!! How sweet (and competent) of them.

If I send an updated file using Calibre's default it goes to the Kindle's Home page, which requires moving it to the proper collection later (I'm assuming you have collections).

There have been times when I've sent an updated file and it actually replaced the one in the collection, but I can't duplicate that action now.
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert