Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
sordie
Edge User

Question Moving the library (and all other content) to the SD Card

I saw the following comments elsewhere in this site:

Roger-
Currently if you add a file to your library it is then moved to internal storage. However the software update coming very soon will let you move all your contents to an SD card. In other words, your library and other content will be on the SD card, not the internal flash memory. This will be an irreversible move, though. And if you remove the SD card once you've moved your content, you will only have limited abilities with the enTourage eDGe. This change does drastically increase the storage capability of the device. Stay tuned.

Susan - #
sladwig - 05-20-2010 12:16 PM

My question is, how do you move the library etc. to the SD card - I already exceeded the internal storage size and this is a really important change for me.

Thanks in advance for your help, Sordie

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Was this enhancement included in the recent update?

Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
10tklz
Edge User

I read this as well and am wondering how to do it.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

Make that four of us.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Jennifer
Edge User

Is what you want on page 2 of the User's Guide (the red question mark on the Applications menu) on the eDGe? The instructions for the new items in the recent release are there. Specifically, page 29 of the guide has directions for Moving Device Storage to SD Card.

Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
NiaTrue
Edge User

In my excitement, I forgot to read the additions to the user guide! Thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I also neglected to read the user guide. This fixes the apps storing all their files on the internal storage, but I'm wondering how many GB I want the SD card to be. I've got 16 right now. With 4 being used. Nice to know, thanks.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Chas
Edge User

Now I can have all my manuals in the library, which is what I'm doing right now. However, it is slow. It only seems to copy the file at 150-200KB/s. Obviously, 3.7GB is going to take a while. I have also determined I hate tags. Folders work so much better. Can we the option of tag groups or something to emulate folders? I'm only a third through the files and I already have a long tag list.

At least I'll have all the navigation and annotation features to work with finally.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
10tklz
Edge User

Nice. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Chas
Edge User

Unfortunately, this feature is not reliable. I turned on my eDGe this morning only to find it ate my sd card. All contents are lost. It and Windows both say it's blank and needs to be formatted. The card had never been removed before this.

Also, moving storage to the sd card is one way. It can't be changed back to the internal storage.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
fibrou
Edge User

I am probably misunderstanding something regarding this procedure. What is the purpose of the "Internal Storage" after the one-way transfer? How does the eDGe access the internal memory if everything is moved to the SD card? Or does it? It is obvious to me I am misunderstanding something because memory access cannot be that inefficient n'est pas?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I don't know all the specifics, but the apps will most likely stay on the internal storage (will that amount of storage devoted to apps increase?) because of the way Android is set up. In the future Google has promised apps to SD. Many apps store data in folders, on a phone the folders go to your SD card. This fix will accomplish that. I do have questions as well though. What is the optimum class SDHC to use for the best read/write speeds. How fast is the edge internal memory compared to a class 6, which is what I have, SDHC? When they say irreversible do they mean unless you master reset? Will the 3rd party app that are installed "find" the new path to their data? Or will they need to be reinstalled? And finally, will the space allotted to apps increase?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
fibrou
Edge User

Yes, seems like many questions remained unanswered. I realize it is my lack of knowledge re: android file system, but until I get more information, I am leaving things as they are. No need to "experiment" just yet.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Chas
Edge User

Moving storage to the SD card really does nothing more than moving your home directory to the SD card. In the file system, there's /intsdcard and /extsdcard. /intsdcard the 3GB builtin. /extsdcard the SD card in the slot. What moving storage does is point /sdcard from /intsdcard to /extsdcard. It also copies everything to the SD card, preserving what was stored internally (which saved me from losing my notes and Adobe registration). After moving, all the internal storage does is store settings and programs. Existing 3rd party programs didn't have any issues. The program storage is NOT increased though.

Reads from the SD card are normal. Writes are stupid slow with the Library app. I'm using a class 6 SDHC card and I'm seeing 150-200KB/s writes in the Library app. Writes using anything else are normal. I copied a 54MB file from a USB flash drive to the SD card and by the time I opened the notifications to check the speed it was finished (3-5 seconds). I'd say the Library app needs some work.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I guess I don't see any benefit for me then, at least at the present time. Maybe in the future when apps to SD becomes a reality. For now I just put what I am currently working on in the library and all else on the SD until I need it there. Thanks for the insight.