Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #1276
ammar dawood
ammar dawood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As long as the lights aren't bothering you when reading there is no issue. The waterproofing on the KA1 is done by coating of the internal parts (can't remember the name of the company at the moment, but if you search you'll find it) so water getting inside the device is not a concern.
Many thanks for your prompt response, if the internal parts are water-proof then that's OK!

Cheers!
ammar dawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #1277
Kuram
Enthusiast
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: PW1, KAO (current)
Is it possible to remove the header and footer and use that space for the book (or reduce the size of the footer to be similar to the kindle paperwhite)? I checked out the KAO in store last week and I really liked the feel and everything about it (especially the warm light feature). However the header and footer are huge and take up so much space, and after having gone through all the options there was no setting to remove it.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #1278
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
You can activate an option to remove the header and footer (both, you can't just remove one) by installing one of the metazoa patches (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=260100)
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #1279
Kuram
Enthusiast

Thanks. Would it be recommended to update a new device firmware or stay on whatever it comes with? My experience with the kindle paperwhite is that I wouldn't update because the jailrbreaking might not be possible on newer versions, but it appears that there's a patch for a wider variety of versions on the KAO.

edit: nevermind, just found the latest firmware number matches the latest patch.

Last edited by Kuram; 10-23-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #1280
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuram View Post
Is it possible to remove the header and footer and use that space for the book (or reduce the size of the footer to be similar to the kindle paperwhite)? I checked out the KAO in store last week and I really liked the feel and everything about it (especially the warm light feature). However the header and footer are huge and take up so much space, and after having gone through all the options there was no setting to remove it.
You don't have to patch; there's a quick hack that gives an option for removing the header and footer entirely and it persists through firmware updates. There's a description of the method at Nate's blog:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...kobo-ereaders/
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #1281
Kuram
Enthusiast

I'm also reading older posts/reviews that the device doesn't properly save the page you're on when you sleep the device or close the cover... Is that an issue that still persists?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #1282
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You don't have to patch; there's a quick hack that gives an option for removing the header and footer entirely and it persists through firmware updates. There's a description of the method at Nate's blog:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...kobo-ereaders/
That post goes back to 2014. Why hasn't kobo addressed this when it is way ahead of kindle in term of customization? Yes it is easy to fix but why should people have to dig around the net to find a workaround for an obvious stupid annoyance. And you shouldn't have to choose between huge wasted space and having no page info. I don't understand what the thinking is.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #1283
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I'm also reading older posts/reviews that the device doesn't properly save the page you're on when you sleep the device or close the cover... Is that an issue that still persists?
It's not a problem I've ever had and I've been using Kobos for years.

In addition, if you don't like the idea of removing header/footer entirely there are patches that will let you reduce them. You should also know that if you choose to read your books as standard epubs then there is no header only a footer. Only kepubs have both header and footer.

ETA: Anyone who has managed to jailbreak their Kindle should have no problem applying Kobo patches.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #1284
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That post goes back to 2014. Why hasn't kobo addressed this when it is way ahead of kindle in term of customization? Yes it is easy to fix but why should people have to dig around the net to find a workaround for an obvious stupid annoyance. And you shouldn't have to choose between huge wasted space and having no page info. I don't understand what the thinking is.
perhaps sadly the thinking is no profit no point.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #1285
Kuram
Enthusiast

Bought my KAO on the way home tonight and got it setup with the patch, and it's perfect. I'd read about QC issues with the warm light feature, but mine is without issue so I got lucky there I think.

Have two questions:

Is there any kind of wifi/internet push feature for sending books to my device? On my Paperwhite I was able to setup Calibre to send the book as an email to the @kindle.com email address Amazon provides which then had my Kindle download it automatically if it was connected to Wifi. I'm hoping there's something similar for the Kobo.

Also I pre-ordered Oathbringer on Amazon a couple weeks ago, will I be able to load that book on my device (or really any of my previously purchased Amazon books), or will I need to cancel and re-order through the Kobo store (and suck it up & use my PW1 for my old books if I ever re-read)?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #1286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Is there any kind of wifi/internet push feature for sending books to my device? On my Paperwhite I was able to setup Calibre to send the book as an email to the @kindle.com email address Amazon provides which then had my Kindle download it automatically if it was connected to Wifi. I'm hoping there's something similar for the Kobo.
No, there isn't. Kobo will sync copies of books you bought from them. You can use the browser to download books, but otherwise, you need to sideload them via the USB cable,
Quote:
Also I pre-ordered Oathbringer on Amazon a couple weeks ago, will I be able to load that book on my device (or really any of my previously purchased Amazon books), or will I need to cancel and re-order through the Kobo store (and suck it up & use my PW1 for my old books if I ever re-read)?
As long as you can get a copy of the book from Amazon and convert it to a format suitable for the Kobo, you will be OK. Just add the book to calibre and when you sent it to the Kobo it will be converted to epub and then sent to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #1287
Kuram
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, there isn't. Kobo will sync copies of books you bought from them. You can use the browser to download books, but otherwise, you need to sideload them via the USB cable,
That's a shame, but it's not terribly inconvenient. I'm assuming there are no custom firmwares/add-ons/whatever that could do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As long as you can get a copy of the book from Amazon and convert it to a format suitable for the Kobo, you will be OK. Just add the book to calibre and when you sent it to the Kobo it will be converted to epub and then sent to the device.
So the DRM that Amazon includes in their books can still be read on a Kobo? That's good to hear.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #1288
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
So the DRM that Amazon includes in their books can still be read on a Kobo? That's good to hear.
No.... The DRM needs to be removed from the Amazon content and the content then converted to either ePub or the Kobo kepub format.

DRM removal is handled via tools available from Apprentice Alf.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #1289
Kuram
Enthusiast

Hmm might make more sense to just cancel and re-order on the Kobo store. What format does the Kobo store deliver in, kepub?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #1290
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Hmm might make more sense to just cancel and re-order on the Kobo store. What format does the Kobo store deliver in, kepub?
With Kobo you have two ways to obtain content; Kobo desktop and WiFi sync of the device will get the content in kepub format.

Alternatively via the website you can download in Adobe ePub format; this will be an acsm file that gets processed by Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) to download the actual ePub format.

Whichever route is used the content will be DRM encumbered.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote