Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Upgrading from Kobo Touch

I've been happy with my Kobo Touch for about 4/5 years and used to post here often where I got so much help. For a while I didn't use it and now have come back to it only to find the battery won't recharge (and I've tried 2 cables) , so it's time for me to get a new device.
Despite a fair bit of searching I'm still befuddled as to which model to get .....
I don't need lots of features but do want access to public libraries. The Kobo stores only seems to offer the 3 Auras..... is the Glo outdated now?

The Kobo Aura One is too costly for me, and I don't need water proofing with the H2O. So that leaves me with Aura 2? which looks good to me. Does that support Overdrive?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The one Kobo that supports Overdrive is the Kobo Aura One. You have a choice. Pay the money or do without Overdrive. If you do decide to do without Overdrive, I'd suggest getting the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember all Kobo eReaders allow you to sync from ADE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tks for your replies ....

Kobo Touch doesn't have Overdrive but I borrowed via ADE.....so guess that would apply to the other ones?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes. All Kobo's can be used to borrow via Overdrive, but the KA1 is the only one that allows you to do so directly on the device. With the others you need to use ADE to get the borrowed book onto the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The nice thing is, you have lots of options. You could even explore the used/refurbished market on places like eBay. If you decide to go new, the Aura Edition Two is a definite step up from the Touch, and it's $60 cheaper than the H2O Edition Two. You could even go with the original H2O (Kobo is still selling it) and I have no difficulty recommending that one. I've had mine for a few years now, and absolutely love it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would not go with the Aura Edition 2. I would go with the H2O unless you want the One.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
Katel
Evangelist

A local store here in Oz is selling a refurbished Glo. I believe it is superseded now but does that matter, and is it good for reading outside in the sun? It's really quite cheap with a warranty so I am tempted.
Otherwise as you both recommend the H2O that may be the go though I don't need the waterproofing feature.

Appreciating this feedback very much.

Last edited by Katel; 10-05-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
A local store here in Oz is selling a refurbished Glo. I believe it is superseded now but does that matter, and is it good for reading outside in the sun? It's really quite cheap with a warranty so I am tempted.
The Glo is still a good reader. As you are coming from a Touch, you will find it much better. The specs are basically the same as the Aura Edition 2. The Aura Edition 2 might have a better screen, but I don't know if it will be noticeable.

I assume you mean JB HiFi. At $99 for the Glo vs $179 for the Aura E2, the saving is probably worth it.
Quote:
Otherwise as you both recommend the H2O that may be the go though I don't need the waterproofing feature.
I think either H2O would be fine. I haven't had my hands on the new one, but the design is sleeker that than the original. I find the original a little bit bulky in it's cover, and preferred the 6" Glo HD. The H2O2 might feel better.

If you are shopping at JB HiFi, make sure you ask if they can do a better price. You should be able to get 10 or 20 dollars off the more expensive devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #10
Katel
Evangelist

Yes it's the one at JB and I think I'll go for it. As you said it will be better than the Touch and JB have a good refund policy.
Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
Katel
Evangelist

Update ...... der,I got the refurbished Glo from JB online and it's utterly defective with a thick blank band across the screen.

JB told me they will refund it but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I thought hang it I'll go back to JB, get the refund, and buy a new Kobo (they don't stock the Glo). But then I've just read in another thread here that Kobo is not recognizing many library books loaded via ADE and it's for the library books that I wanted to stay with Kobo.
Maybe it's time for the Kindle, though I do prefer Kobo.
Am I overthinking this?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Update ...... der,I got the refurbished Glo from JB online and it's utterly defective with a thick blank band across the screen.

JB told me they will refund it but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I thought hang it I'll go back to JB, get the refund, and buy a new Kobo (they don't stock the Glo). But then I've just read in another thread here that Kobo is not recognizing many library books loaded via ADE and it's for the library books that I wanted to stay with Kobo.
Maybe it's time for the Kindle, though I do prefer Kobo.
Am I overthinking this?
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Kindle library book borrowing anywhere in Australia.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I'm sorry to hear that you bought a defective Kobo. I would recommend trying again; the reports of library trouble appear to be limited to one user here, and the problem appears to be installing ADE on a Macintosh computer. The vast majority of us have no problems using ADE to put library books on our Kobos. I'm currently reading one now.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 AM   #14
Katel
Evangelist

Great, thanks. You are right. I may re order another refurbished Glo. Guess I was just unlucky with the one. :-)