Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
JPortal
JPortal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library errors

Hello
Today, I got an error from calibre when starting it, telling that my library could not be located
I closed the program, went to the location with explorer (Win10 Pro 64 bits) and found the library there, all the folder structure, all the books, everything was there
I ran calibre again, and no books showed. I checked the location of the library, and found that it had changed from the original one to a new one
I went to the new one, and this one is empty, only metadata.db and a JSON file
Then I checked the actual library, and could not find any metadata file there.
I dont know how this happened or why, it just did.
My previosu library is this E:\Mis Documentos\Biblioteca de calibre and the new one is this E:\Mis Documentos\Calibre Library (Notice the language change)
The one in spanish contains all my books, no metadata file, the new one is empty, only the metadata file and the JSON file
Tried to make calibre point to the older route, it returns error there is no library in the selected location
Is there any way to solve this? it would be a real pain to add book by book again, this library has been going for several years. I have backups of all the books, just stand alone, I have never backet the library as it is, just the original books
Thanks in advance
JPortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the library icon on the calibre toolbar and point it to the old library location
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
JPortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Click the library icon on the calibre toolbar and point it to the old library location
Yes, I tried to do that what you mention, but got the answer reported in the post, THERE IS NO LIBRARY IN THE SELECTED LOCATION.

As I wrote, there is no metadata file in the location

Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPortal View Post
Yes, I tried to do that what you mention, but got the answer reported in the post, THERE IS NO LIBRARY IN THE SELECTED LOCATION.

Thanks
are there still Author folders? Do they contain title folders WITH a number after the name? Recovery is possible
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPortal View Post

Thanks
First backup what you have
  • Create a new library, leave it empty and close calibre.
  • Copy the metadata.db file from the new library to the one where no such file exists.
  • Start calibre and switch to the folder into which you just copied the empty metadata.db
  • Use the Library maintenance->Restore database tool, it may take a while.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
JPortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
  • Copy the metadata.db file from the new library to the one where no such file exists.
  • Start calibre and switch to the folder into which you just copied the empty metadata.db
BR
Ok, I will try this and let you know how it went

Thank you
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
JPortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
BR
Guys, it worked perfectly

Took around 1 hour, but the deal went through flawlessly and now I have my library back

And also I am now including the library in my sync folder for backup, just in case

Thanks a lot guys