Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
holden1
holden1 doesn't litterholden1 doesn't litter

Device: sony-505
Prop 8 advert ?!

I was quite shocked to see mobileread advertising and promoting prop 8.

I would like to know if mobileread advocated this advert, and support its policies. I for one do not come onto these forums to be forced policies and politics I do not agree in.

Admin?
holden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
holden, can you explain what is prop 8 please ? to answer your question, mobileread allows advertising on the site to help pay for the site's expenses (hosting, etc.) but we don't have any input about what ads are shown. there are plenty of ads for things we don't endorse at all or want anything to do with (all those dating sites come to mind...). if you don't want to see the ads, i recommend that you use Firefox browser with the AdBlock Plus plugin.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Holden is probably talking about Proposition 8. I don't know; I can't see the ad.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
holden1
holden1 doesn't litterholden1 doesn't litter

Device: sony-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Holden is probably talking about Proposition 8. I don't know; I can't see the ad.
The ad is placed at the top of the screen, next to the mobileread banner.

I have just read admins response - and I am very pleased to hear they have no control over what adverts are posted here. Thank you
holden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i can't see the ad either. but in the similar threads, i get "What is with the Scientologist advert on MobileRead?" in which another member wonders about a surprising advert on the site. we get some pretty crazy ones sometimes... just try to ignore them.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

(and, not that this has much to do with the original subject of this thread, the thread about the scientologist advert veers into unutterable silliness really fast, and is still hilarious months later.)
Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden1 View Post
I was quite shocked to see mobileread advertising and promoting prop 8.

I would like to know if mobileread advocated this advert, and support its policies. I for one do not come onto these forums to be forced policies and politics I do not agree in.

Admin?

I never saw the ad. Maybe its "regional?" Holden are you from California?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

i think the ads are almost definitely regional. a lot of ads have been mentioned by others that i've never seen. i've not had a single political ad for the US presidential elections, for instance, although others were not so lucky.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think the ads are almost definitely regional. a lot of ads have been mentioned by others that i've never seen. i've not had a single political ad for the US presidential elections, for instance, although others were not so lucky.
'scuse me. My ad is getting through.

<<<===
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
'scuse me. My ad is getting through.

<<<===
right, sorry. i've seen one advert for that.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay people, I just got one for the Illiad book reader!!!

Whats going one here???

Don't you know I am a KINDLE person??
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

scandalous !!!!

once again, i remind everyone, that the adverts google serves do not necessarily reflect the views of this forum, or its administration.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay people, I just got one for the Illiad book reader!!!

Whats going one here???

Don't you know I am a KINDLE person??
I use Firefox but I just copy and pasted the link for this thread into Explorer and got a Kindle ad, an ad for some Kindle books and one for Project:Report supported by Sony.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

huh. i regularly get cybook and iliad ads but i've never gotten one for the kindle. more proof that ads are served on a regional basis.

in other news, holden1, it is indirectly YOUR FAULT that i am once again still up at 4 in the bloody morning, because i got sucked into the *old* adverts on mobileread thread and am reading the entire thing and giggling to myself (instead of GOING TO BED like any sane person would have 3 hours ago).
Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I use Firefox but I just copy and pasted the link for this thread into Explorer and got a Kindle ad, an ad for some Kindle books and one for Project:Report supported by Sony.
I use Firefox exclusively also. Interesting how these things work, eh?