Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
kobomaniac
kobomaniac began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thumbs down Be careful! After upgrade, Adobe Digital Editions authorizations fail

I'm getting an error message: E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS

It looks like adobe doesn't keep track of which devices you've activated, only how many activation requests have been made. So a kobo firmware upgrade burns an activation count. If you have three kobos and one computer, after reauthorizing two kobos you've used up all your activations, and then third one fails

This is why I hate DRM.

Last edited by kobomaniac; 07-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.
kobomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Yes, it's annoying. Open a web case with adobe and they will restore your access ay resetting your activation count.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Haven't hit that problem count (yet), but I sure have had several, "There's a newer version - wanna update - if not, you're not continuing" to that program. But after a quick download and re-opening, I am fine ... For now ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
sophiemom
sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sophiemom can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle x4
My beef is far more with ADE than DRM or ANY aspect of ereading. I have 2 new readers that I cannot use because my "quota" of ADE authorizations is used up by dysfunctional previous readers. Forums are full of complaints about the same problem, most of whom have had no assistance from Adobe. Is there any software, including fee based, to replace ADE, and specifically for library books? Thank you!

Last edited by sophiemom; 02-05-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: additional info
sophiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobomaniac View Post
This is why I hate DRM.
Please spare us. I have no patience for people who cry and whine about technology they willingly use and therefore, support. If you *REALLY* hated DRM, you'd stop using it. For example... I HATE DRM and that means I:

1. Do not USE windows or OSX
2. Do not USE Adobe's wares
3. Do not BUY or OWN DRM'd content.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Please spare us. I have no patience for people who cry and whine about technology they willingly use and therefore, support. If you *REALLY* hated DRM, you'd stop using it. For example... I HATE DRM and that means I:

I HATE DRM, That's why I set my DRM epubs free

Just because epubs come with DRM doesn't mean you have to keep them chained to DRM... just saying...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
capellipro
capellipro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 and Pandigital Novel (white, hacked)
this happened to me today. Is my only option to contact Adobe? I paid $350 for this thing from Best buy and now it won't work. How many authorizations do you get?
capellipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capellipro View Post
this happened to me today. Is my only option to contact Adobe? I paid $350 for this thing from Best buy and now it won't work. How many authorizations do you get?
You get 6, but un-authorizing something just removes that device from the list; it doesn't free up one of the six. You have to contact Adobe directly for that.

The limit of "6 devices" was established several years ago, when most people would be hard-pressed to find a use more than three (desktop, laptop, PDA); six meant they could get in a couple of upgrades before needing to contact customer service. Now, with people commonly owning a desktop, laptop, dedicated ebook reader, and smartphone, and wanting spouse's phone and laptop on the same account so they can share books, any upgrade or reinstallation of OS in any device triggers an "I can't read my books" event.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:

Welcome to my growing ignore list windowsrefund. Man, you're an ass.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Welcome to my growing ignore list windowsrefund. Man, you're an ass.
big deal. At least I'm in control of my computer.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
I HATE DRM, That's why I set my DRM epubs free

Just because epubs come with DRM doesn't mean you have to keep them chained to DRM... just saying...
What exactly do you mean by "set free"? I really hope you're not committing an illegal act by stripping DRM as you'd be exposing yourself to legal action. Please tell me I'm getting the wrong idea...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "set free"? I really hope you're not committing an illegal act by stripping DRM as you'd be exposing yourself to legal action. Please tell me I'm getting the wrong idea...
N o Y B

Last edited by Danger; 02-07-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: cleaned up my language ;)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
N o Y F B @$$hole.
If it's non of my business, why mention it? You're the one who started talking about removing DRM, not me. I don't have to dance around the issue and try to work around it because I don't play in that sandbox to begin with. So the question stands, are you committing an illegal act by removing DRM from the content you're accessing? Do you realize you can be prosecuted under the DMCA?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Both of you calm down. And remember we try to keep this a family-suitable forum.

The DMCA is not world-wide law, and neither of you knows where the other lives. Even in the USofA, DRM stripping for personal use has not been (nor is it likely to be) tested in court; the fair use defense may well apply.

If you have philosophical issues, take them to the P&R forum.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Danger
Evangelist

@pholy I apologize, that was indeed uncalled for on the forum no matter what I was thinking.

@3d0g just tried out the ignore function for the first time, I love it... it just leaves windowsrefund speechless *grin*

@windowsrefund yes it is non of your business what I do with MY paid for content.