Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG View Post
My thoughts after just reading some of the posts is why should anyone care if a person registers then e-reader or not? Does it cause nightmares thinking people have the audacity not to register an e-book reader.

What a person does with their e-reader is really no one's business other than the person who owns said e-reader.
But then they come here asking for help because it's not properly registered.

Another issue is the fake Kobo registration failed twice when a new firmware version was no longer compatible. It could happen again. We won't know until it does.

I prefer to be registered and I know my device is good to go. I don't have to worry about something not working or having to start over because the new firmware isn't compatible with paranoia.

I have never once heard of anyone losing their job because of what they read on a registered Reader. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:04 AM   #287
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
L Ron wrote, and composed a sound track for Battlefield Earth I found a cassette of it years ago, and bought it, thinking it was him reading the book. Somewhere in the mists of time, I misplaced that sound track.
I'm pretty sure the album you had was Space Jazz (which I believe was also released as Battlefield Earth?).

Someone uploaded it to YouTube:

Hey, he did a Mission Earth soundtrack too! The man was a genius!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #288
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Another reason I don’t register is that I don’t see ads, I don’t find the benefits of registering needed, an I don’t want to get unwanted upgrades of the firmware.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #289
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Another reason I don’t register is that I don’t see ads, I don’t find the benefits of registering needed, an I don’t want to get unwanted upgrades of the firmware.
Why not register? You can keep WiFi off. You aren't syncing because you've not registered. So being registered with WiFi off will prevent you unwanted firmware but you'd have full access to the all of the features that do not require WiFi.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #290
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not register? You can keep WiFi off. You aren't syncing because you've not registered. So being registered with WiFi off will prevent you unwanted firmware but you'd have full access to the all of the features that do not require WiFi.
I often turn wifi on to get books from my calibre server. Syncing doesn’t help me as I use Apple books on my ipad and phone. I really hate the kindle app.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #291
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I often turn wifi on to get books from my calibre server. Syncing doesn’t help me as I use Apple books on my ipad and phone. I really hate the kindle app.
To be honest, you would be better off with a Kobo then a Kindle. I can register, turn on WiFi and not sync.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #292
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
To be honest, you would be better off with a Kobo then a Kindle. I can register, turn on WiFi and not sync.
And you can turn off Whispersync on a specific Kindle and have WiFi on. It will then not send usage data to Amazon, including reading location etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #293
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
*shrugs* I think I'm too trusting for my own good, I make at least one account a day. I've registered both my eReaders. So I guess I'm the opposite of paranoid...
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #294
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
*shrugs* I think I'm too trusting for my own good, I make at least one account a day. I've registered both my eReaders. So I guess I'm the opposite of paranoid...
The opposite of paranoid is not clinically paranoid. As well as the opposite of OCD is to be obsesive and compulsive without that affecting your life to be called (by a pro) dissorder.

In both cases even professionals have differences into what constitutes a mental dissorder, and most of them use DSM or ICD to self assure their diagnostic and label a human being into a category, with some paired stats. That grants them peace in case they're not helpful enough with their clients.

And since I assume we're not all "mental health" profesionals here, the fact that we're using "paranoid" instead of "witches" or "posesed by satan" doesn't matter.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
I've always registered my Readers. I've never once thought I needed to keep hidden from the world. I've never once read of any having any issue because of being registered other then the two issues with Amazon. That's since stopped and nothing has happened since.

I want to have all the features activated. Besides, i use my accounts to buy eBooks. So it's no different then give the information needed to buy eBooks. I've bought eBooks from Sony, B&N, Kobo, and Amazon.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #296
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
And since I assume we're not all "mental health" profesionals here, the fact that we're using "paranoid" instead of "witches" or "posesed by satan" doesn't matter.
If you don't think the term paranoid is correct, what term would you use instead?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #297
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you don't think the term paranoid is correct, what term would you use instead?
I reject the underlying premise, so I'm not going to play that game.

I do understand that paranoid is used in common language to refeer to persons that develop their own "rational" thinking without any base and I do think that some people are "paranoid" with 5G technology.

The sentence: "she prefeers to read books because she's paranoid with amazon tracking what she reads on her kindle" doesn't make much sense to me.

In the same vein: "she became paranoid. She refuses to go to book stores because she thinks workers might report what she buys to the government" makes sense to me.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #298
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
LOL, both of those scenarios indicate to me that this person has....issues. Neither one of these situations make much sense to me.

But so long as she doesn't try to turn 'her issues' into my issues I don't care.

Live & let live I always say.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #299
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
LOL, both of those scenarios indicate to me that this person has....issues. Neither one of these situations make much sense to me.

But so long as she doesn't try to turn 'her issues' into my issues I don't care.

Live & let live I always say.
I also don't care about the info I send to amazon. That's the point. It's a matter of caring or not. It doesn't relate with being paranoid or not.

BUT, if you consider both scenarios the same thing or relating to the same kind of issues I would think about you having issues discerning other people issues .

Anyways I agree it's not something we should care about.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #300
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I also don't care about the info I send to amazon. That's the point. It's a matter of caring or not. It doesn't relate with being paranoid or not.

BUT, if you consider both scenarios the same thing or relating to the same kind of issues I would think about you having issues discerning other people issues .

Anyways I agree it's not something we should care about.
What do you call someone who will not register a Kindle because they do not want to send data to Amazon?