Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I'm sorry you don't have the Astak EZ Reader to add to your evaulation. Would love to see how it stacks up.

Specifically, when their EZ Reader Pocket Pro 5" comes out, I think it will make a big impression.

AJ
Other than firmware, the EZ Reader is the same hardware as the BeBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Smile Folders on BeBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Great thread mgmueller.

I am interested in BeBook. Well, not BeBook itself, but in Hanlin V3. I am even more interested in 5" Hanlin V5 but you do not have any 5" device yet.

Can you please describe the use of folders on the device?
Have you tried flashing it with OpenInkpot?
I haven't tried OpenInkpot yet, as I don't like the "touch and feel" of BeBook.
Somy of my friends and colleagues have checked out my readers to decide, which one to purchase. Their reaction ALWAYS is the same as mine concerning BeBook, it "looks cheap", "seems a lower level" and so on.

The use of folders is solved quite nicely, as are lots of features in BeBooks OS.
- The main (standard) folder is called "eBooks".
- Next to it, you find a description, for example "1 folder, 249 files".
- You can generate subfolders. Only have checked up to 2 levels of subfolders, but I guess there's no limit.
- When entering "eBooks", you see descriptions for the folders as well. And when entering a folder for the subfolders and so on.

In comparison, I prefer Sony's collections.
I can link a single book to more than one collection at a time (only having the book 1 time on my unit, of course. It's just links, not the physical ebooks themselves), for example "genre" and "series" and "bought via Mobipocket" and.....
True: I HAVE to install Sony's library software for that, whereas I can generate folders on BeBook simply via Windows Explorer and even on my MAC. BeBook simply is recognized as a drive and can be operated accordingly.
But to me, that's no biggy. I'm using Sony's software for purchasing eBooks from them anyway. BUT: Sony's software is NOT avalable for MAC...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #33
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other than firmware, the EZ Reader is the same hardware as the BeBook.
Is it absolutely the same design? To me, this (in retrospective) would be a "No Go". To some (many?), design of the unit may not be important. After all, it's an ebook reader and as such, BeBook is doing a nice enough job.
For me, I have "feel good" when using any unit. Why has iPod touch been that successful? Usability and iTunes probably have their share. But mainly, I guess, it's because it's simply a "cool" gadget.
Sony's design, in my opinion, is close to perfect. Kindle 2 and Kindle DX aren't that "attractive", but at least they are okay. (Didn't like Kindle 1, though).
BeBook doesn't have a webshop of their own for eBooks, so it's all about the unit itself...
Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I have thought about it. In the past, I've been using Pocket PCs and didn't have any troubles with the display at all. I'm more than happy with eInk, but having an alternative...And even a "pocket sized" one...
I can live with the fact, that JetBook doesn't support any DRM formats.
But I'm a bit worried about the design.
I don't use my BeBook because of its "cheap plastic". On the pictures in the web, I'm not sure whether the JetBook is of "better quality"?
I've read, JetBook has a faster refresh rate? Actually, I don't have any problems with my eInk devices. And I don't mind the "inversion" as well.
So, what would be the pros and cons in comparison to eInk, say Sony 505?
Several people on this forum purchased jetBook and after it sold Sony...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...836#post458836

You can read more information about jetBook TFT screen below
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #35
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Several people on this forum purchased jetBook and after it sold Sony...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...836#post458836

You can read more information about jetBook TFT screen below
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Great, thanks.
And what about the unit itself? Is it as "elegant" as the Sony 505? or as "cheap" as BeBook?
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Great, thanks.
And what about the unit itself? Is it as "elegant" as the Sony 505? or as "cheap" as BeBook?
The body is plastic and it feels solid. I definitley can't say that it looks cheap.
When I travel and read my jetBook in airplane many people like how it looks and ask me where I purchased it

Last edited by Kris777; 06-28-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #37
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Somy of my friends and colleagues have checked out my readers to decide, which one to purchase. Their reaction ALWAYS is the same as mine concerning BeBook, it "looks cheap", "seems a lower level" and so on.

The use of folders is solved quite nicely, as are lots of features in BeBooks OS.
- The main (standard) folder is called "eBooks".
- Next to it, you find a description, for example "1 folder, 249 files".
- You can generate subfolders. Only have checked up to 2 levels of subfolders, but I guess there's no limit.
- When entering "eBooks", you see descriptions for the folders as well. And when entering a folder for the subfolders and so on.
Thank you very much.
I have also found some worrying threads in Hanlin forum about problems with BeBook crashing and about the need to reformat the SD card from time to time. Some say, even the internal memory needs to be reformatted occasionaly.
OpenInkpot seems to be the most stable firmware for the hanlin, according to some discussions. I find it strange that version 0.1 of firmware done by people that do not have access to fraction of resources available to manufacturer or OEM distributor has, is more stable than the original firmware ver. 2.02
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #38
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thank you very much.
I have also found some worrying threads in Hanlin forum about problems with BeBook crashing and about the need to reformat the SD card from time to time. Some say, even the internal memory needs to be reformatted occasionaly.
OpenInkpot seems to be the most stable firmware for the hanlin, according to some discussions. I find it strange that version 0.1 of firmware done by people that do not have access to fraction of resources available to manufacturer or OEM distributor has, is more stable than the original firmware ver. 2.02
You're welcome.
I've only used BeBook the first few days after purchasing it.
But I didn't find any instability or technical issues.
For me it's really only about the design.
Why do you consider BeBook over, let's say, Sony 505 or CyBook Gen3?
I only see 1 potential argument: Biggest variety of file formats.
BUT: The only DRM format is .prc. For this, you can use Cybook or iLiad as well.
If you go for the "free" formats, you probably have to convert anyway...
Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you consider BeBook over, let's say, Sony 505 or CyBook Gen3?
I do not care about DRM.

I am not interested in BeBook as such, I am interested in Hanlin V3 by Jinke.
I am researching devices so I can decide if I win that summer giveaway

I do not like Sony corporation. I do not like them for many, many little things. Like making things as incompatible as possible. (I talk about electronics in general, not about Reader). I do not like what they did to their Sonny Connect MUSIC store and its customets. After the Sony Rootkit debacle I thought I would never, ever buy ANYTHING made by Sony, especially not device that would require me to install software provided by Sony. Yet I purchased Sony reader PRS-500. The only thing I really dislike about PRS-500 is big shiny Sony logo at the top bezel. I also strongly dislike their software - the Sony Library.
I might end up buying my next reader from Sony.

I somehow do not like things I read on this forum about Cybook. Like the fact it is booting almost 60 seconds, depending on number of books on device (unlike my Reader that is ready for reading in 2 seconds). I also do not like mobi reader that is on Cybook that can not even display page number correctly. I do not like how the Bookeen is handling situation about promised firmware update. I do not like the fact that there is Delete button on the device that does not do anything and the fact that Bookeen is not doing anything about the button that is not doing anything ;-)

Things I like about Hanlin V3
- the company actively supports developers developing 3rd party firmware, applications
- there is open source firmware available that anybody can hack to do cool things. And indeed, the OpenInkpot IS doing things that users of other devices can only wish for.
- It is available in my region for price that is considerably lower than price for other comparable devices
- is supports folders (Hierarchical directory structure) I too use tags in my Sony Reader but I think directory structure would be better for me
- it has user replaceable battery
EDIT:
-------------------------------------------------
Astak EZ Reader is a rebranded Hanlin V3. I very much like the attitude Astak has towards it customers, I like how RobertB participates on this forum.
-------------------------------------------------

I am still waiting for the newly announced 5" devices from Netronix and Jinke.
My Sony reader PRS-500 is still working, so I have *plenty* of time to consider its replacement / upgrade.

Last edited by kacir; 06-28-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #40
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I do not care about DRM.

I am not interested in BeBook as such, I am interested in Hanlin V3 by Jinke.
Things I like about Hanlin V3
- there is open source firmware available that anybody can hack to do cool things. And indeed, the OpenInkpot IS doing things that users of other devices can only wish for.

My Sony reader PRS-500 is still working, so I have *plenty* of time to consider its replacement / upgrade.
As far as I understood JSWolf, the only difference between Hanlin V3 and BeBook is firmware?
So, if you reflash with OpenInkpot: What difference would remain? Which would be the benefit of Hanlin V3 over BeBook then? Is it just the company behind BeBook?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #41
maidavale
You folks stay classy.
maidavale is on a distinguished road

Device: Anything w/ Pixel Qi (c. 2010 4Q)
While some may be critical of mgmueller for his extensive collection, I am all for it, as he gives a very uncommon perspective. I'm glad he has chosen to share all these information as well - to me, his actions are comparable to wealthy benefactors from the past who've released their art collection to the public.

I've composed a "comparison matrix" for Mgmueller the Great's comments so far, to better present all this overwhelming amount of data. This will be updated accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-06-28 mgmueller.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	31312  
maidavale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #42
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidavale View Post
While some may be critical of mgmueller for his extensive collection, I am all for it, as he gives a very uncommon perspective. I'm glad he has chosen to share all these information as well - to me, his actions are comparable to wealthy benefactors from the past who've released their art collection to the public.

I've composed a "comparison matrix" for Mgmueller the Great's comments so far, to better present all this overwhelming amount of data. This will be updated accordingly.
I'm just a little jealous I can't have them all , I'm up to three which is a good start. I'm thinking a fourth may come into play when Plastic Logic releases or when the first color one comes out.

Nice comparison matrix. This is definitely something I like to see, its hard to get a feel for which devices are better than others because most people only have one device so you have to go off of multiple perspectives, this is great because you get to have one person compare them all to see what the pluses and minuses are on a first hand perspective. Great thread
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I'm just a little jealous I can't have them all , I'm up to three which is a good start. I'm thinking a fourth may come into play when Plastic Logic releases or when the first color one comes out.

Nice comparison matrix. This is definitely something I like to see, its hard to get a feel for which devices are better than others because most people only have one device so you have to go off of multiple perspectives, this is great because you get to have one person compare them all to see what the pluses and minuses are on a first hand perspective. Great thread
I'm happy to "experiment" for you guys.
If you've got any specific questions...
I guess, tomorrow I'll use my stopwatch, to actually measure boot-time, restart from standby and things like that.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #44
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Is it absolutely the same design? To me, this (in retrospective) would be a "No Go". To some (many?), design of the unit may not be important. After all, it's an ebook reader and as such, BeBook is doing a nice enough job.
For me, I have "feel good" when using any unit. Why has iPod touch been that successful? Usability and iTunes probably have their share. But mainly, I guess, it's because it's simply a "cool" gadget.
Sony's design, in my opinion, is close to perfect. Kindle 2 and Kindle DX aren't that "attractive", but at least they are okay. (Didn't like Kindle 1, though).
BeBook doesn't have a webshop of their own for eBooks, so it's all about the unit itself...
What are your specific concerns with the BeBook? I am considering getting the EZReader for my son.

However, the Pocket Pro is not quite the same as the current BeBook. The Pocket Pro is the next generation of the BeBook hardware. I am sure that BeBook will also carry this. Both units are actually the Hanlin hardware with BeBook/EZReader branding.

I'm not sure how exact my memory is, but here goes. The pocket pro has a faster (Epson) controller, it is five inches in size, and it has a scroll wheel added to the right side for an alternative page advance button.

There will be a lot of similarities with the current generation BeBook, so I am interested in your opinion. However, I have no way of knowing about any more subtle design changes that may have impacted the product.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #45
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
As far as I understood JSWolf, the only difference between Hanlin V3 and BeBook is firmware?
So, if you reflash with OpenInkpot: What difference would remain? Which would be the benefit of Hanlin V3 over BeBook then? Is it just the company behind BeBook?
BeBook is the same hardware as Astak EZ Reader, Hanlin V3 and quite a few others. See here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_V3

So IF I get BeBook or EZ Reader, or lBook (a very interesting firmware from Ukraine) I will have quite a few choices regarding firmware.
Original Hanlin, BeBook, EZ Reader, lBook, OpenInkpot, ...
With OpenInkpot, for example you can eat your cake and keep it as well. You can "install" OpenInkpot firmware on an SD card and run it at will. You reset the reader and it has the original firmware again.

Another reason for my interest is, that Jinke (Hanlin manufacturer) is preparing 5 inch version and that new model is rumored to have many of the features of 6" model.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test