Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
evianluw
Enthusiast
evianluw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Question Any detailed help for Usbnetwork? Strange things keep happening

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (Japan)
System: 5.4.2
Status: Jailbroken; USBNetwork, MRI, Kindle Explorer and some other small hack installed

Issues:

It was a long time ago (maybe 1 or 2 years) when I got the kpw2 jailbroken and installed these hacks. I had a hard time toggling USBNetwork and find someone's guide to use SSH over wifi, using the "authorized_key" (like this one). It worked at first.

Then strange things happened: the kindle couldn't connect to PC by usb. Just charging. No matter what OS (Win xp,7,8,10 or Ubuntu&Fedora) and cable I use.

I can't remember well what's the cause, and it remains the same now. I thought maybe it has stayed in usb-ssh mode, but it didn't shows up in windows network adapter, connecting to 192.168.15.244 in SCP/SSH no luck, and using some command lines in Linux showed no usb0 or something like that... I just gave up.

However, with Personal Documents I can still read the books in kindle fine. Kindle Explorer ensures the ability to edit files. And another weird thing also helps me: I can access the files over wifi-ssh, although I've already deleted the authorized_key file in kindle and use no privatekey.ppk in my computer. I just toggle the USBNetwork on, and type in kindle's ip address in WinSCP, username root, no password. I don't know if this is normal behavior. Using putty's SSH command line is also okay.

But I've always been wanting to update (after hearing jailbreak survives the update with some bridging), and if the update will disable jailbreak at first, I will not be able to transfer the bridging file to the kindle. So I still want to fix the usb issue if there's any hope.

Note:

the config file in the kindle shows SSH over wifi is disabled (the introductory texts have been deleted):
Code:
KINDLE_IP=192.168.15.244
USE_WIFI="false"
USE_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="false"
USE_OPENSSH="false"
QUIET_DROPBEAR="false"
TWEAK_MAC_ADDRESS="false"
And in the attachments: there's the screenshot with the text showing up after I toggle usbnet on, and another one is the usbnet/etc directory files with these I-don't-know-what-it-means files. Maybe they'll give some information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2016_11_06T14_19_56+0800.png
Views:	584
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	152824   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle usbnet files.PNG
Views:	396
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	152825  

Last edited by evianluw; 11-06-2016 at 02:15 AM.
evianluw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Questions about non-standard Kindle firmware belong in the developer forum, whence I'm moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #3
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
For the first issue: you have to toggle usbnet down to see the kindle as mass storage. Also check your usb cable
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
USB networking WILL NOT toggle with the USB cable plugged in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Questions about non-standard Kindle firmware belong in the developer forum, whence I'm moving this.
Sorry about that.
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
USB networking WILL NOT toggle with the USB cable plugged in.
Yes, and I've toggled without USB cable plugged in, still no luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
For the first issue: you have to toggle usbnet down to see the kindle as mass storage. Also check your usb cable
Never worked. I've used every USB cable I have, and the cables are fine, still my computer doesn't recognize Kindle, neither as USB storage nor SSH device.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

when you toggle down usbnet, what message you get if you show usbnet status?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, let me try another of the obvious possibilities -

Check your firmware version -
Is it what you expect or did it update on you?
The reason:
USBnetworking is one of those that has to be re-installed after each Amazon update.

Oh, heck, don't bother, just re-install it being sure to remove the current one's configuration file first (it is normally left behind and you didn't show enough of the file system tree to know if that is part of the problem - such as a keyname flagfile).
I.E: One directory level above what you showed, see if you put a file named 'auto' in that directory (that could be what happened and the off-site directions you linked to mention it).

If you can't reach the user's USB storage, your fall back is to use the newest JB on the device.

Did you mention having kTerm?
You should be able to use 'wget' (or 'curl') to download the package directly to the Kindle (/mnt/us/mrpackages).

PS: As someone already suggested - you might be running 'diags' system rather than the 'main' system or running the 'demo' system.
Was this ever a "demo Kindle" ?

Last edited by knc1; 11-07-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
when you toggle down usbnet, what message you get if you show usbnet status?
When I press the toggle button (to stop USBNet):

Code:
N switching from usbnet to usbms
Code:
N stopping sshd
The last line of the code doesn't seem to stop. Then I press the show status button:

Code:
N * USBNetwork: disabled (usbms, sshd down) *
Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, let me try another of the obvious possibilities -

Check your firmware version -
Is it what you expect or did it update on you?
The reason:
USBnetworking is one of those that has to be re-installed after each Amazon update.

Oh, heck, don't bother, just re-install it being sure to remove the current one's configuration file first (it is normally left behind and you didn't show enough of the file system tree to know if that is part of the problem - such as a keyname flagfile).

If you can't reach the user's USB storage, your fall back is to use the newest JB on the device.

Did you mention having kTerm?
You should be able to use 'wget' (or 'curl') to download the package directly to the Kindle (/mnt/usr/mrpackages).

PS: As someone already suggested - you might be running 'diags' system rather than the 'main' system or running the 'demo' system.
Was this ever a "demo Kindle" ?
Well, actually I can reach the USB storage by wifi-ssh... so I'll install the kTerm first in case anything goes wrong then I'll go reinstall USBNet. Thanks for the tip — a terminal on the kindle would be #1 useful but I didn't discover this.

I don't know how to tell whether it's in the diag mode or not, however, as far as I know, all the features except for USB connecting are working fine. I'm sure this kindle was bought all-new, I opened up the seal. Not even with special offer.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

I updated my post.
In the directory above the one you showed, see if you put a file named: 'auto' in that directory.
If so - get rid of it.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #12
evianluw
Enthusiast

No, just 'DISABLED_auto'.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Delete the /usbnet directory and sub-tree.
Delete the /extensions/usbnet directory and subtree.
Copy the most recent version of USBnet from NiLuJe's snapshot thread into /mrpackages.
Be certain to use the file with you device's nickname in its filename.
Exit from your ssh (or scp or sftp or whatever you used) session.
Now trigger MrPI to install the most recent version.

None of the above should make any difference to kTerm.
You may want to use kTerm rather than an ssh session (although, because of the way the Linux filesystem layer works, you should be able to delete code that you are executing at the time).
Old 11-10-2016, 02:31 AM   #14
evianluw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Delete the /usbnet directory and sub-tree.
Delete the /extensions/usbnet directory and subtree.
Copy the most recent version of USBnet from NiLuJe's snapshot thread into /mrpackages.
Be certain to use the file with you device's nickname in its filename.
Exit from your ssh (or scp or sftp or whatever you used) session.
Now trigger MrPI to install the most recent version.
Sadly, after updating USBNet and jailbreak, my kindle still fails to connect to computer via USB. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe it's really a kind of hardware problem, although I am cautious with connecting the cable to the micro-USB port.

I've thought of doing a factory reset or a complete firmware flash might solve the problem, but considering losing jailbreak for a while may mean unable to jailbreak forever for me if the USB connection isn't fixed, I just give up. If you have any ideas about uploading a file to the root directory of kindle without USB connection and jailbreak, please tell me.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #15
encol
Evangelist

WinSCP (via wifi) is still working?

Tags
jailbreak, usbnet