Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #1
Mo5214
Mo5214 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Question Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch) stuck at loading screen after jailbreak and factory reset.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and thread on this forum ( Yay ! ), so please be kind to me. I really needed help.

So I had just accumulated enough courage to jailbreak my Kindle 4 NT that my cousin gave me a while ago (after said cousin broke the e-ink but I got a spare off e-bay for cheap then replace the screen ). I did it using this link : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

Although that it worked perfectly, I decided to wipe it using kindle's reset menu since I don't want my cousin's book to be on there ( an action which I would then soon regret) after it is jailbroken. It all went south from there.

My newly repaired kindle is now stuck at loading screen.

It has a weird symptoms as follows

1. The computer would detect the kindle when it is connected via usb cable and mount ( This is on a Windows PC) while showing the stuck loading screen

2. I can also make it go to diagnostic mode by creating ENABLE_DIAG blank file on kindle drive from 1 or using magic down key and power button with MfgTool.

3. The usbnet thing worked and I was able to SSH into it, including flashing the image onto the kindle. But it had no effect ( no error on dd)

Here are the things that I had tried so far.

- 1. draining battery and charge it up again (to no avail)

- 2. tried using kubrick CD to restore it. Got nothing either
( It has finished its task, but after rebooting it still stuck at loading screen )

- 3. I also tried using MfgTool + down key power sequence to enter diagnostic mode then setup usbnet and SSHed into the kindle. I then flashed the mmcblk0p.img (ver 4.0.0) using dd then reboot to no avail. ( per information on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645)

-4. I also remove everything in /var/local but still no effect.

Can anyone help me on this matter, I really don't want to buy a new kindle since I just spent money fixing the e-ink screen.

Thank you in advance
Mo

PS: Here are some of the pictures
http://imageshack.com/a/img907/6283/k1Kwly.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/7991/2qtW3k.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/8198/OmuLks.png

Last edited by Mo5214; 10-22-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Mo5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
You would probably get more replies on this if it were in the dev forum, rather than the main Kindle forum.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moved.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
tri2k
tri2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4nt
Hello, this is my first post. I read the forum in background and got help. Thanks a lot. .-)

But now it´s more trickky. I have the same issue like Mo5214, after my battery was in critical state. I "unbrick" my kindle with kubrick and other tips and tricks i read in this and other forums.
My Kindly is alive but not usable, it only boots to diags menu. Even, when i say it should start in main mode. (with MfgTool or ssh)
I made all trys like Mo5214.
After every reboot, all data are restored. I could flash the kindle in fastboot mode. I can delete all files on /mnt/us, but after reboot all "old" files are already there.
Even i formatted /dev/mmcblk0p4 all files were restored.

Interesting is, when i call "dmesg" the system date is the "min date" 01 Jan 1970.
Last write access on the USB Device in the kindle was 2015-11-01, but actually not from me. I didn´t used it long time ago. (therefore the critical battery state issue and the "unbricking" session)

I also hope someone could help us. Meanwhile I think it´s an hardware issue, like storage controller or something.

Stefan
tri2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri2k View Post
Hello, this is my first post. I read the forum in background and got help. Thanks a lot. .-)

But now it´s more trickky. I have the same issue like Mo5214, after my battery was in critical state. I "unbrick" my kindle with kubrick and other tips and tricks i read in this and other forums.
My Kindly is alive but not usable, it only boots to diags menu. Even, when i say it should start in main mode. (with MfgTool or ssh)
I made all trys like Mo5214.
After every reboot, all data are restored. I could flash the kindle in fastboot mode. I can delete all files on /mnt/us, but after reboot all "old" files are already there.
Even i formatted /dev/mmcblk0p4 all files were restored.

Interesting is, when i call "dmesg" the system date is the "min date" 01 Jan 1970.
Last write access on the USB Device in the kindle was 2015-11-01, but actually not from me. I didn´t used it long time ago. (therefore the critical battery state issue and the "unbricking" session)

I also hope someone could help us. Meanwhile I think it´s an hardware issue, like storage controller or something.

Stefan
Use drop-down prefix filter to select "tutorial", click "show threads".

There you will find the FGA list, in your case:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3

- - - -

Good guess, it is the storage controller that is dead.
The bad news, its grown into the silicon of the eMMC chip and can only be repaired by replacing the entire chip (and on a K4, not worth the effort or price, buy a KT-2).

Last edited by knc1; 11-24-2015 at 08:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert