Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #2056
Nicotin3
Nicotin3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
@Nicotin3: You're right.

BTW: Just to make sure, I would recommend to update manually to 5.8.7.0.1 in the last step only, instead of updating to the brand new 5.8.9.2, and then using the "prevent OTA update" trick if you're really interested in utilizing the device online, i.e. with airplane mode OFF.
Thank you very much.
I will do exactly how you said. The only two questions remaining is, from where exactly can I get the update file to 5.8.7.0.1 if I brought the pw3 from Amazon.fr, also, is it any problem if I didn't unsubscribe from special offers and I will install a version from their server?
Nicotin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 AM   #2057
Nicotin3
Nicotin3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Didn't find the edit button.

Sorry I missed one line.

"It has also been discovered that most recent versions are no longer geographically different."
Nicotin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 AM   #2058
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please edit your post as one of the newer kindles does not have a serial port.
Life lesson # 102. Research thoroughly before saying something can be done.

Attention all others, the serial port jailbreak requires getting the proper parts and taking apart your device.
It isn't just confirmed that KOA has serial port but KT3 must have one!.
KOA should have serial COM Port indeed. It also is a linux development board
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #2059
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
It isn't just confirmed that KOA has serial port but KT3 must have one!.
KOA should have serial COM Port indeed. It also is a linux development board
True.
Linux (nor any *nix) will not run without an operator's console port.

But that does not mean the connections to it have to be available to the user.

The KT3 has one, which is accessible and just the same as all other touchscreen devices (except the Oasis).

IIRC, the SoC has six serial ports, only one of which is normally wired out to where the user can reach them (except the Oasis).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #2060
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
I had to do a factory reset following amazon orders for solving a collections problem [3 weeks back and forth sending logs and phonecalls until they said I really had to factory reset again}

In the meantime the new OTA update rolled and now it is impossible to jailbreak...

I really hope someone finds a way to downgrade from 5.8.9.2, I will really miss my screensavers.

The collections work now, but considering I depended a lot on Collections Manager, it is of no use now. Really pissed, if Amazon did not called me so many times a day I would have researched to see if I would still be able to jb.
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #2061
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And you might have posted BEFORE pushing the reset button.
Now it is certainly too late.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #2062
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There has been several warnings not the press this NEVER touch button but yet again,

Never, Ever, Press RESET if yours is a Jailbroken Kindle. You will lose Jailbreak if you do so!

Even if the circumstances push you to such a state just post it here in Mobileread Forums and there will be many happy to help you

Please +karma if this post is helpful!

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 06-07-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #2063
KindlePower
KindlePower began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite(2015) Wifi
New Kindle User

Hi I just received My first kindle and I had given up on jailbreaking it before I bought it due to the new firmwares not being supported but I was Happily surprised when it arrived with firmware 5.8.7.0.1 on model G090 G1xx.
Questions:
  1. As I understand it this can be jailbroken correct?
  2. In step #0 it mentions to register your device but I am worried about it connecting and upgrading when I connect to wifi as some other devices I have had before have done. Is connecting to wifi for the first time safe or is there another method to register?
KindlePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #2064
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlePower View Post
Hi I just received My first kindle and I had given up on jailbreaking it before I bought it due to the new firmwares not being supported but I was Happily surprised when it arrived with firmware 5.8.7.0.1 on model G090 G1xx.
Questions:
  1. As I understand it this can be jailbroken correct?
  2. In step #0 it mentions to register your device but I am worried about it connecting and upgrading when I connect to wifi as some other devices I have had before have done. Is connecting to wifi for the first time safe or is there another method to register?
1) True.

2) How slow do you type?
How easily distracted do you get?

Amazon uses a complete system image as the update file.
Usually 200 .. 300 Mbyte.
Can you click the various registration thingies faster than your Kindle can download 300,000,000 bytes?

Put the kids to bed, take 'phone off hook (or put it in the back yard), lock yourself in a closet where no one can find or disturb you -
Once you let it connect to the network, do not dawdle.
Get it registered, then select "Airplane Mode".
No going out for a meal and a movie in the midst of registering your device.
(Yes, people have reported doing such things, to their own loss.)

Also read Step #7 -
There is no reason that you can't put the blocker directory name in the top of visible USB storage before you start.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #2065
KindlePower
KindlePower began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite(2015) Wifi
Thumbs up KindlePower

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) True.

2) How slow do you type?
How easily distracted do you get?

Amazon uses a complete system image as the update file.
Usually 200 .. 300 Mbyte.
Can you click the various registration thingies faster than your Kindle can download 300,000,000 bytes?

Put the kids to bed, take 'phone off hook (or put it in the back yard), lock yourself in a closet where no one can find or disturb you -
Once you let it connect to the network, do not dawdle.
Get it registered, then select "Airplane Mode".
No going out for a meal and a movie in the midst of registering your device.
(Yes, people have reported doing such things, to their own loss.)

Also read Step #7 -
There is no reason that you can't put the blocker directory name in the top of visible USB storage before you start.
Thats great info thanks!
KindlePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #2066
knc1
Going Viral

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlePower View Post
Thats great info thanks!
Sometimes people ask a question when I am in a good mood.
Not often, but it does happen sometimes.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #2067
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sometimes people ask a question when I am in a good mood.
Not often, but it does happen sometimes.
Or they actually ask a logical question.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #2068
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

BTW, doesn't an OTA blocker directory(update.tmp.bin.partial) doesn't work on non-jb device huh?
It is just a directory only, seems like it will work... Am I right @knc1?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #2069
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
BTW, doesn't an OTA blocker directory(update.tmp.bin.partial) doesn't work on non-jb device huh?
It is just a directory only, seems like it will work... Am I right @knc1?
Yes, it does work to whatever degree the particular firmware can be blocked. In my case I not only created the directory I created a sub-directory in it and a file in that sub-directory and then made them all read-only. This works fine with the firmware I am running.

I guess the question would be if you are not going to JB why do you want to lock your kindle at a particular firmware level?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #2070
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Yes, it does work to whatever degree the particular firmware can be blocked. In my case I not only created the directory I created a sub-directory in it and a file in that sub-directory and then made them all read-only. This works fine with the firmware I am running.

I guess the question would be if you are not going to JB why do you want to lock your kindle at a particular firmware level?

Dave
The question came up about preventing an update while registering a new Kindle, prior to installing the jailbreak.

Since the first post was not clear about the 'blocker directory' being something that can be used independently of the jailbreak, I thought a few more words would help to confuse the matter.