Hell Yes 9 6.57%
No Way 54 39.42%
I'll Keep my 900 and buy an iPad 13 9.49%
I don't even have a 900 61 44.53%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #61
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeka View Post
If we were really looking for a convergence-type device, IMO I do not see anything that the iPad does better that the Notion Ink Adam http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...ds-on-0969281/that was announced December.

The PRS900 is my first eBook reader and I am very happy with it I do have a Powerbook and a nano, and I don't really see the iPad replacing any of my existing devices.

I'd wait for a few more months to get some tablet-eReader convergence alternatives to be available, but IMHO, the first gen iPad doesn't make the grade.
I am already far more impressed with Entourage Edge then with iPad.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #62
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I am already far more impressed with Entourage Edge then with iPad.
Gosh - I have never seen anything that looks so clunky and ugly. Each to their own
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I am not selling it to get an iPad.

But with the txtr app, it would make a good reader if there was a way to get content on the iPad other then over the net.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The poll numbers would be a lot more accurate if the last answer was not there. So please close this thread down so it can be recreated properly. The idea of the poll is to ask if 900 owners will switch. Not having a 900 is irrelevant to the poll.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #65
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
How do you get your existing ebook collection on the device?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #66
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy20 View Post
I would consider getting one because I'm a techno-geek.
Funny, I would NOT consider getting one exactly for the same reason...
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #67
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Gosh - I have never seen anything that looks so clunky and ugly. Each to their own
True, but if you go through the features blow-by-blow and value for your money - Edge wins IMHO.
This is of course if you are planning on using the device for reading mainly.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #68
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Not yet. I need to see it actually ship (still 2 months away) and what real users think of it. Want to know "real world" battery life, durability....etc. At first blush it seems pretty nice, and something I might want..... but it will be a while before I would think about it seriously.
I to would like to see it out with real user reviews before I decide if I should buy one or not. The big screen is a plus but not having a pixelQI screen is a minus.

I would certainly like to hear what people have to say about the screen before I go and buy one.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-03-2010 at 04:58 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #69
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder how bad the glare/reflection problem will be on the ipad. I see a bit of reflection just reading off the itouch.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #70
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I don't have a 900, but I suspect that if I did, and the only way I could get a Pad was to sell the 900, it would be a goner.

I do have a 300 and a 505. I expect to dispose of one of them, probably the 505, and take a wait & see attitude on the other. My reasoning is that the 300 or 505 fills the gap between the Pad & my iPhone.

My suspicion is that when I get going with the Pad, I'm going to find that the iPhone gives me what I need for portable reading, and I will dispose of both Sonys.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #71
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I wonder how bad the glare/reflection problem will be on the ipad. I see a bit of reflection just reading off the itouch.
Indeed, too much glare and the gadget won't look such a good buy any more.
I will have to see one before deciding if I'm getting it or not.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #72
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Indeed, too much glare and the gadget won't look such a good buy any more.
I will have to see one before deciding if I'm getting it or not.
Glare is rarely an issue on my iPhone.

But then, I tend to avoid direct sunlight when I'm reading on the iPhone. I also don't look in mirrors...
Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #73
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
I'm not going to sell my 700, but I will definitely be buying an iPad. There are several reasons, the biggest of which is Sony's abandonment of the 700 and never updating its buggy firmware. (Not providing the fixed version of Digital Editions that corrects the full-justification for ePub just makes me angry.) I don't know yet how well the iPad will work as a replacement reader, but I'm certainly going to give it a fair chance and I suspect it will work quite well. If Apple's reader software isn't exactly what I need, you can bet there will be many other reader apps to take its place.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #74
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by danegeld View Post
I'm not going to sell my 700, but I will definitely be buying an iPad. There are several reasons, the biggest of which is Sony's abandonment of the 700 and never updating its buggy firmware. (Not providing the fixed version of Digital Editions that corrects the full-justification for ePub just makes me angry.) I don't know yet how well the iPad will work as a replacement reader, but I'm certainly going to give it a fair chance and I suspect it will work quite well. If Apple's reader software isn't exactly what I need, you can bet there will be many other reader apps to take its place.
As much as I like my Sony 300, as things stand right now I would not buy a Sony reader. The main reason is that there's not a Sony app for my iPhone and upcoming iPad. If Amazon made a 300 sized reader, I'd probably get it. Point is that there's a product niche for a properly sized - not just the screen but the form - reader between the iPhone & the Pad, that is only imperfectly filled.