Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #76
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
but I'd still like to see you recreate the crash with calibre completely out of the equation if at all possible.
Yes absolutely. The fact it crashes when savin for you but we can not recreate it at all means we should rule out interference from anything else.

Please let us know what happens when Calibre is out of the equation completely.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #77
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it took me only 3 minutes of deliberate trying to crash another book - not stored in calibre, not opened in calibre.

i deleted another single xhtml page ( the copyright page) , ran delete unused styles, Okayed that, then quickly hit save - voila
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	157232  
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #78
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and another- once again highlighted a page in the toc e.g. the praise page, or the contents, deleted it, quickly switched to display the stylesheet, ran delete unwanted..., and i think this one crashed a fraction of a second before I got to save 9 hmm maybe not , looking at the screen capture, the save button looks to have been clicked...
once again- no calibre involvement
I did wonder if a trigger is having a page highlighted in right hand toc which has been deleted over in the file list, but tried that in isolation with no crash.
so what to we know - sigil is latest 64 bit 0.9.8. calibre is out of the testign loop completely. I have an up to date Win 10. I have no sigil plug-ins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	157233  
Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #79
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I saw that awful message just yesterday, first time ever. I was fixing typos and saving regularly (happily). Didn't delete any files or unused styles. It was an easy recovery; I think I lost only the most recent correction, two at most.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #80
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I saw that awful message just yesterday, first time ever. I was fixing typos and saving regularly (happily). Didn't delete any files or unused styles. It was an easy recovery; I think I lost only the most recent correction, two at most.
that's right - I now safe after every few changes; you lose only the edits made after the last save. and anything that had been typed into the find / replace boxes after the last save is also lost. basically nothing is actually saved after " stopped working" so previous copy is NOT over-written.
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #81
stumped
Wizard

ok - here's a final test result - no picture upload this tiem as they all look the same !

i usedanother retail epub - ruth rendell, not in calibre
1. i opened the style sheet as a tab in the main display- then i selected praise in the right hand toc which opens that page in the main tabs pane. i then deleted the matching html - saved. OK
2. I selected also by... and did the same sequence -, delete file, save , OK
3. thinking OK, there shoudl now be some unused styles I ran delete unused styles , okayed the results, clicked save - crash

so it is looking like all you have to do is to force a situation where there will be some unused styles, ( by removing some pages) show the stylesheet, run the clean up and save...

over to others to see if they can force a similar crash

i am not even convince that the sylesheet has to be the front tab - it has to be open, and some styles have to have been deleted, and the next command has to be save... that's what I think are a trigger-set.

Last edited by stumped; 06-10-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #82
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Wow, it must be a Windows thing as on Mac this just doesn't happen when I try it. Unless it is related to your "highlighted file in right toc has been deleted" idea . I will try again with highlighting a non-existent file in the toc (when open on the right) to see if that is somehow again stale info related.

Thanks for helping us track this down!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think I just got it to crash on Windows. Let me double-check that I can recreate consistently and try to get a test epub together.

Mine's crashing consistently after running "Delete Unused Style Classes" and giving it permission to delete the findings. It crashes before I can hit the save button.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1) open Sigil to the default empty epub template ()

2) configure Sigil so the Book Browser widget is displaying in the left dock area, and the Table of Contents widget is displaying in the right dock area, and the html is displaying in Code View. No Preview Widget window should be open.

3) open the attached "crashtest.epub" using File Open

4) immediately after opening, expand the Style group in the Book Browser and double click "Style0001.css" so that it opens a new tab in Code View

5) click (single) "Chapter Two" in the Table of Content widget so that a new html tab opens

6) right-click on "Section0002.xhtml" in the Book Browser and select "Delete". Confirm that you want to delete the marked file.

7) immediately run Tools->Delete Unused Style Classes and confirm that you want to delete the marked style (named p.deleteme).

Mine crashes after step #7, @stumped seems to need to click "Save" to get it to crash.
Attached Files
File Type: epub crashtest.epub (2.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For the record: I can't get it crash on Linux. But then I'm already running a version with Kevin's fix for the stale Preview data crash. I'll need to rebuild the original 0.9.8 to verify.

BINGO! It crashes on Linux with the stock 0.9.8, too. Whatever Kevin did to fix the stale Preview crash seems to have fixed this one as well. I'll build a new Windows version from git to see if that fixes the problem there as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #86
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Mine crashes after step #7, @stumped seems to need to click "Save" to get it to crash.
I was able to reproduce this crash on my 64bit Windows 10 machine with Sigil 0.9.8, but not with my Linux version that I rebuilt with the latest fix by KevinH.

I.e., whatever fix KevinH implemented 2 days ago most likely also fixed this issue. (Of course, it's also possible that this was a Windows-only issue.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I was able to reproduce this crash on my 64bit Windows 10 machine with Sigil 0.9.8, but not with my Linux version that I rebuilt with the latest fix by KevinH.

I.e., whatever fix KevinH implemented 2 days ago most likely also fixed this issue. (Of course, it's also possible that this was a Windows-only issue.)
See my above post. I wanted to check the same thing.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #88
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
See my above post. I wanted to check the same thing.
I've just tested the above steps with the official 32bit Debian Sigil 0.9.8 version and it crashed.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #89
stumped
Wizard

You guys are way ahead of me. I was just thinking maybe we need to build a simple test pub....
If I'd known this bug would be chased so enthusiastically I'd have raised it back at version 6
I just thought it was one of those things everyone was aware of but did not discuss in polite company

So what is the latest theory on the underlying cause ?

Ps its not gospel that i always need to click save to get the crash. It's very likely that some of my crashes happened before getting to that

Last edited by stumped; 06-10-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #90
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I can confirm that Kevin's previous commit (for the stale Preview data crash) fixes this particular crash on Windows as well. It will make it into the next version.