Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
jmd87
jmd87 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 2
background color/image no margins css?

Hi,

I have created an Epub in Indesign but found it a bit painful. I found after reading that you can code it using a html editor (my case dreamweaver) What i am trying to do is get a background image or color to cover the whole background. I'm finding i am getting a margin of about 10px all the way around the document.

I have tried all the obvious things like Margins 0px, padding etc etc but no matter i do it wont disappear. I have read around the internet and tried to follow examples but can't get anywhere

Can anyone assist please?

Many thanks
Joe
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Unless you are designing solely for tablets, background images are a poor idea. Eink reader users will dislike you for making the text hard to read. You can try @page in the css for the margin, but this is not respected by all devices.

I had a fella show me a work with a background a few weeks ago and although it was fine on a computer, it was unusable on my e-ink PRS300.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
jmd87
jmd87 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 2
Hi

Thanks alot for the reply! I would say we are really doing it for tablets and computers as it is a very picture based learning book as the pictures are required to be able to see what is going on if makes sense?

how does the @page work? I've been coding for about 10 years and I have never used this before lol

Kind Regards
Joe
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241514

They know a bit more than I do.

Be sure you test with real devices and test Night Mode.

Hitch, a professional book creator, has collection of about 50 devices, I think and not because she wanted to buy them. She bought them to test out the vagaries of them on real code.

Last edited by mrmikel; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
In some devices you cannot change the entire background, if i'm not mistaken, the iPad is one of those examples.
All you can do is set @page margins and body margins to 0 basically.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
In some devices you cannot change the entire background, if i'm not mistaken, the iPad is one of those examples.
All you can do is set @page margins and body margins to 0 basically.
Yes, you are mistaken. The iPad is not an app. So what you can or cannot do with an iPad depends on the app(s) being used. So please don't refer to the iPad as though it was an app. Please refer to the specific app for the iPad so we know what you mean.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you are mistaken. The iPad is not an app. So what you can or cannot do with an iPad depends on the app(s) being used. So please don't refer to the iPad as though it was an app. Please refer to the specific app for the iPad so we know what you mean.
iBooks...
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote