Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #1036
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm a little confused. BeckyEbook's screenshot had two checkboxes. One at the beginning and the other in a column called "On menu". My first beta had the single checkbox at the start of the line.
Sorry, I was talking about her first screenshot, the one in Polish.

Quote:
The question probably is whether they need to be separated. With the two sites we have, probably not. I'm not going to display or search lubimyczytac.pl except to test that everything works. If there were more sites, that might change. If they are all for non-English books, I won't be using them. If a site is added that gives a better page count for books I have, then I might use them.
I was thinking the same thing, I'm not sure it is important to have a column to show it in the menu. If you deselected it, then you probably don't want it to show. And if one site gives a better count, you can just put it first in the order in which to search (since it won't search if there is no ID, it won't impact performance to use the download from all sources).

The problem I had with this new version is that it's not intuitive that the active sources are the one with a check in the ID column. I found BeckyEbook's polish screenshot easier to read because she put the identifier column first and so there was no icon next to the checkbox.
I think you could keep that, maybe with a text above saying something like: "choose the sources you want to use and in which order"
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #1037
BananaTricky
BananaTricky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The latest release didn't touch the page count download. And I hadn't looked at it as no-one has reported any problems. About all I can say is that the few times I have tried it, the downloaded count matched what was on the page. Did you check the dowloaded page count against what is actually on the Goodreads page? And make sure you look at the same edition.

To look at this, I need examples. Can you post the goodreads link for the books both the books that got the wrong count and those that got the right count? I can test these and hopefully see what is wrong.
Of course, sorry for the delay in responding.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33590616 - correctly shows as 94 pages

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32181510 - shows as 119,748 pages

I rechecked both before I posted. Also, as I was checking I noticed that where the linked book has no page count as yet I also get a high return eg

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33873761 - shows as 139,703 pages (if you look at the paperback version that has 415 pages)
BananaTricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #1038
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTricky View Post

I rechecked both before I posted. Also, as I was checking I noticed that where the linked book has no page count as yet I also get a high return eg

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33873761 - shows as 139,703 pages (if you look at the paperback version that has 415 pages)
Ok, that looks like there is a problem when there is no page count for the edition used. And it sounds like it is using a word count instead. That gives me a clue as what to look for.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #1039
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Yes, it does.

The previous, the shortcut just wouldn't work after a while and I would need to restart, but when using the Count pages button it would function properly and Details panel would update. That problem hasn't reoccurred since I installed the beta. Since I have no idea what would make it stop working, I can't be certain if completely fixed, but for now it hasn't happened again.
Seems I spoke too soon, started getting the shortcut problem again, but now it is patchy even after restarting...must be something else interfering but can't for the life of me figure it out. This time, however, it also doesn't automatically update the book details panel (that and pressing the actual button). I'm positive it did before the Beta, because that was where I checked for change, and still where I first check now.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1040
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I've tried these books and cannot reproduce the problem. What version of the plugin are you using? The 1.7.0 release, or the beta? And can you try it again. When the prompt to save the count is displayed, press the "View log" button, copy and post the log for me to see.
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 03:10 AM   #1041
BananaTricky
BananaTricky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I've tried these books and cannot reproduce the problem. What version of the plugin are you using? The 1.7.0 release, or the beta? And can you try it again. When the prompt to save the count is displayed, press the "View log" button, copy and post the log for me to see.
Hi, it is definitely returning the word count. I'm using the 1.7.0 version and this is the view log:

Count Page/Word Statistics
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 11685 (Silver-Tongued Devil)
Goodreads edition has 400 pages
Found 119748 words
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32181510'
Word count using icu_wordcount - trying to count_words
Word count - used count_words: 119748
Word count: 119748

Whereas this is what I get with a book that does return the page count:

Logfile for book ID 11657 (Wrecking Ball)
Goodreads edition has 310 pages
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33701864'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 151, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 76, in get_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 92, in _open_epub_file
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 144, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 87, in run_extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 229, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 122, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker failed

Which looks worse, but I don't know what it's supposed to look like

Alison
BananaTricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #1042
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi, it is definitely returning the word count. I'm using the 1.7.0 version and this is the view log:

Logfile for book ID 11685 (Silver-Tongued Devil)
Goodreads edition has 400 pages
Found 119748 words
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32181510'
Word count using icu_wordcount - trying to count_words
Word count - used count_words: 119748
Word count: 119748
I cannot reproduce this. When I download the page count for this book with any of the versions around the page count gets set to 400. I am using a fake book with only a few words in it, but, I can't think how this would affect it.

Could you try changing the configuration to only do the page count and try again?
Quote:
Whereas this is what I get with a book that does return the page count:

Logfile for book ID 11657 (Wrecking Ball)
Goodreads edition has 310 pages
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33701864'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 151, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 76, in get_word_count
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 92, in _open_epub_file
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 144, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 87, in run_extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 229, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 122, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker failed

Which looks worse, but I don't know what it's supposed to look like
That is an error and means that none of the other stats will be calculated, only the downloaded page. The error appears to be happening when the epub is being unpacked. This is done using calibre functions. A problem like this can be caused by a few things. The epub could be corrupt, there could be a problem with the temporary directory used by calibre or something, such as your anti-virus, could be blocking it. I can't tell from the error. Does it open OK with the calibre viewer? Or if you do a conversion?

One thing: can you check the plugin configuration. If the first result is giving you the word count as the page count, and the second is correctly giving you the page count, if you have the same column in the configuration for both the page and word counts, that would explain it.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #1043
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Beta - Fix details pane not updating

Here is a beta with a fix for the details pane not updating when the counts are updated. If a book was selected and its counts were updated, the details pane wasn't being updated. This was reported by MerlinMama and Terisa de morgan. This should now be OK.

There are no other changes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Count Pages-beta.zip (286.3 KB, 184 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 AM   #1044
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Here is a beta with a fix for the details pane not updating when the counts are updated. If a book was selected and its counts were updated, the details pane wasn't being updated. This was reported by MerlinMama and Terisa de morgan. This should now be OK.

Yes, it works for me now.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #1045
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:

Updates fine now. Thanks!
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #1046
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
French translation updated
Attached Files
File Type: zip CountPagesBeta-TradFr.zip (10.0 KB, 189 views)
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #1047
bugsy74
bugsy74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Count Pages Plugin - Kindle Pages not Matching Calibre pages

Hey all,

I have been using the Count Pages for long time and all worked fine until recently. I recently used the count pages plugin as I normally would and the correct page numbers seem to be set in caliber (for example 304 pages). Great, but when I transfer the file via Calibre to my kindle, the page numbers that appear on my Kindle show as 180 pages and not 304. So I try another book and a 1280 page count in calibre shows up as 1795 pages on my kindle.

I don't know why it worked previously and now no longer matches page counts once I transfer to my my Kindle.

I didn't change any settings (as far as I know) it just seemed to start acting differently suddenly.

Can someone help me?
bugsy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #1048
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The calibre kindle device driver has its own methods of calculating page numbers. I believe that you need to configure it to use the page numbers produced by Count Pages instead.

I don't use this myself, so I don't know the exact method.

---

The instructions are under the heading "Sending your Custom Count to a Kindle" in the first post of the Count Pages plugin thread.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-08-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add info
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #1049
bugsy74
bugsy74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Thanks, I will give that a try.
bugsy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #1050
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy74 View Post
Thanks, I will give that a try.
You can set the Count Pages plugin to fill in the custom column with the page number and also configure Calibre to use that column for the page number for Kindle eBooks. That should do it with just a count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin