Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #121
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmplxAdSys View Post
Hi,

I'm attempting to configure my Kobo H20 first gen as a USB network device under KSM 9 + update 1. However, when I plug my device into my computer via USB with KSM 9 running, nothing happens; the computer doesn't ask about the device, and no changes on the Kobo's screen occur. In Nickle, it's instantly recognized.

Thanks in advance for any input!
You need to activate USB id for access from PC:
Main KSM menu >> USB >> USB enable id like nickel
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #122
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
Or is best scenario to add it to collection all of the pngs then access from there.
This is what I am doing.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #123
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast
CmplxAdSys began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
You need to activate USB id for access from PC:
Main KSM menu >> USB >> USB enable id like nickel
Thank you, boriar. That works so that my computer recognizes the device when plugged in with KSM running. Unfortunately, if I do that, the "usbnet toggle.sh" option then disappears from the KSM menu, and I can't proceed with the instructions to set up the reader as a USB network device.
CmplxAdSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #124
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, boriar. That works so that my computer recognizes the device when plugged in with KSM running. Unfortunately, if I do that, the "usbnet toggle.sh" option then disappears from the KSM menu, and I can't proceed with the instructions to set up the reader as a USB network device.
When USB enable id like nickel is active the menu change and you have "usb disable" to stop "USB enable id like nickel". If you refer to use simultaneously "USB enable id like nickel" and "usbnet toggle" then not. You can't use both modes at the same time (well, even from nickel isn't posible)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #125
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm attempting to configure my Kobo H20 first gen as a USB network device under KSM 9 + update 1. However, when I plug my device into my computer via USB with KSM 9 running, nothing happens; the computer doesn't ask about the device, and no changes on the Kobo's screen occur. In Nickle, it's instantly recognized.

Thanks in advance for any input!

There are two different things, we are dealing with:
  • using the Kobo as a usb storage device:You connect the reader with the usb cable to the pc. Then you select "usb" > "usb enable.sh". When you are finished with copying or whatever you do, you safely eject the device, AND AFTER that you select "usb disable.sh." Whether you disconnect the device physically from the pc or not at this point is up to you. (So the whole procedure is different from how nickel does this.)
  • using the Kobo as a usb network device: You connect the reader with the usb cable to the pc. Then you select "usb" > "usbnet toggle.sh." Windows does not automatically use the appropriate driver. Therefore you have to actively prepare the pc the first time. See the spoiler under "Configure your pc to use the Kobo reader as an usb network device:" of this post on how to do this. (You cannot do this from within nickel.)
As you see you have to tell the reader whether it should present itself to the pc as a usb storage device, or as a usb network device. The reader cannot present itself as both at the same time.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #126
boriar
Evangelist

@tshering
Better wording than me! Thanks for a complete explanation.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #127
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast

Thank you both tshering and boriar for the explanations. Clearly I'm a little above my head in terms of technical stuff! But your explanations made things much clearer as to what I was actually doing.

And, with the help of your advice, I can now access the web interface! Some of the details of the process were different for me (e.g., the device didn't appear as "Serial USB device (COM3)" for me), but I figured it out and got it up and running.

Thanks again!

Last edited by CmplxAdSys; 02-23-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #128
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
I am trying too to use my Kobo Glo Hd as a usbnet network device (KSM 9, Windows 10) to have it ready in case of need, but probably something went wrong.

What I have done till now:
1.I have downloaded and extracted the kindle_rndis.inf_amd64-v1.0.0.1 zip file.
2.I have right-clicked "5-runasadmin_register-CA-cer.cmd" and run it as administrator.
3.In Device Manager, expanding "Ports (COM & LPT)", didn't show any "Serial USB device (COM3)" as per instructions, but "Port something" which I now don't remember. I have right clicked that anyway and installed the driver from the kindle_rndis.inf_amd64 folder.
4.Now if I enable the usbnet in KSM with usbnet toggle I can see, in the Device manager, a new network card "Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled)". I have right-clicked that, gone to properties, and tried to write the network address there to 192.168.2.100 but the field is one digit short.
Do I have to go to Network and Sharing Center> Change adapter settings> Properties and then TCP_IPv4/Properties? (what about subnet mask? dns?)

Also, I have noted that in Device Manager I can't see anymore "Ports (COM & LPT)". If I select "show hidden devices" I do see "Ports (COM & LPT)" but with only two greyed out devices referring to Samsung stuff. Did I mess something up in Windows?

Thank you in advance for your help
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #129
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertango View Post
Do I have to go to Network and Sharing Center> Change adapter settings> Properties and then TCP_IPv4/Properties?
Yes.
Quote:
(what about subnet mask? dns?)
Subnet mask: 255 255 255 0
Everything else you can leave empty.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #130
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Yes.
Subnet mask: 255 255 255 0
Everything else you can leave empty.
Tried that but the connection at http://192.168.2.101:8087/rmc_test.html in Firefox failed. Same for ping. Any idea?
Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #131
CmplxAdSys
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem when I installed, and I found that it was because the server wasn't running. I succeeded when I powered down in KSM, then started it back up again. Then, upon startup, the server runs for a minute or so (IIRC). During that minute, I connected to the server fine, and once connected, the server stayed on.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #132
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Tried that but the connection at http://192.168.2.101:8087/rmc_test.html in Firefox failed. Same for ping. Any idea?
You see a the "Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled)" with the IP set to 192.168.2.100, and you "ping 192.168.2.101" ?

Btw, you can ping without the server running, but you can not use the webinterface.

Last edited by tshering; 02-23-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #133
libertango
Connoisseur

Quote:
I had a similar problem when I installed, and I found that it was because the server wasn't running. I succeeded when I powered down in KSM, then started it back up again. Then, upon startup, the server runs for a minute or so (IIRC). During that minute, I connected to the server fine, and once connected, the server stayed on.
This worked! Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #134
libertango
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You see a the "Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled)" with the IP set to 192.168.2.100, and you "ping 192.168.2.101" ?

Btw, you can ping without the server running, but you can not use the webinterface.
C:\Windows\System32>ping 192.168.2.101

Esecuzione di Ping 192.168.2.101 con 32 byte di dati:
Risposta da 192.168.2.101: byte=32 durata<1ms TTL=64

Statistiche Ping per 192.168.2.101:
Pacchetti: Trasmessi = 4, Ricevuti = 4,
Persi = 0 (0% persi),
Tempo approssimativo percorsi andata/ritorno in millisecondi:
Minimo = 0ms, Massimo = 0ms, Medio = 0ms
Old 03-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #135
cgirerd
cgirerd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you very much tshering for your hard work, really appreciate. I am indeed new here, and this is my first attempt at installing Kobo Start Menu. Unfortunately, I can't manage to find and download the KBStartMenu_09.zip archive detailed in the first post. Could you help me?
cgirerd is offline   Reply With Quote