Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Advice needed on full-page images and auto-rotating readers

The last book I uploaded to our library is a book with many full-page illustrations, many of which are much wider than high. In formatting the book, I followed a time-hallowed tradition in printed books and turned those images by 90 degrees in order to better use the screen space. Works great with my reader - I turn it like I would a printed book and can look at the picture.

Now, however, I have had a request to produce a version without the rotated images because the person's reader seems to do the tablet thing and auto-rotate, making it impossible to look at the pictures properly.

My question: How many readers are there that do that? Especially, how many on which you can't switch off the function? Is it necessary to produce two versions of illustrated books?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
All my Android devices allow Autorotate on/off
Some apps WON'T rotate regardless of the setting.

I am with you. e-readers should allow the code to set the orientation rules.

BTW I routinely tweak my purchased books images for best FIT
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

My question: How many readers are there that do that? Especially, how many on which you can't switch off the function? Is it necessary to produce two versions of illustrated books?
Almost ALL. We never--never--rotate images in eBooks, for that reason, unless the author-pub wildly insists and is bonkers.

The iPads, most Droids, all the Kindle, Kobo and B&N eReaders--they ALL auto-rotate, and even those that have the option to turn it off, my experience is, almost nobody does. You, apparently, are the exception. And that drives me nuts--having to go turn my auto-rotate OFF so I'm not chasing an image around! ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Almost ALL. We never--never--rotate images in eBooks, for that reason, unless the author-pub wildly insists and is bonkers.

The iPads, most Droids, all the Kindle, Kobo and B&N eReaders--they ALL auto-rotate, and even those that have the option to turn it off, my experience is, almost nobody does. You, apparently, are the exception. And that drives me nuts--having to go turn my auto-rotate OFF so I'm not chasing an image around! ;-)

Hitch
Oh, that's interesting. My Kobo has never auto-rotated anything, and I can't recall turning that function off. Is that a kepub-specific thing perhaps?

Anyway, call me bonkers, but I need the rotated images, otherwise they would be far too small on my non-rotating reader.

But since auto-rotation seems to be a common thing, I'll produce an alternative version with un-rotated images.

Thanks a lot for the expert input!

And thanks for your input too, theducks. Echoes my sentiment, but reality seems to think differently.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, that's interesting. My Kobo has never auto-rotated anything, and I can't recall turning that function off. Is that a kepub-specific thing perhaps?

Anyway, call me bonkers, but I need the rotated images, otherwise they would be far too small on my non-rotating reader.

But since auto-rotation seems to be a common thing, I'll produce an alternative version with un-rotated images.

Thanks a lot for the expert input!

And thanks for your input too, theducks. Echoes my sentiment, but reality seems to think differently.
Dubbs:

??? Well...you have them coded, right? So, if you embed them, say...IDK, 1200px wide, and tell them to display at 100% in width, won't they be as wide as your heart desires, when you rotate your tablet???? So the portrait folks will also be doing--they'll just rotate the tablet and view them, or tap-zoom and rotate and view. I'm confused about what you're saying?

Hitch
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Well, my reader doesn't rotate the images, so in the case of a very wide image, say three times as wide as high, if I put it upright my Kobo HD will give me an image size of 1080 x 360 px. If I turn it by 90 degrees, I will get 1440 x 480 px, which means a picture area larger by 77.8%.

If you have a reader that does auto-rotate, you're perfectly right, of course. Hence: two versions needed.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Well, my reader doesn't rotate the images, so in the case of a very wide image, say three times as wide as high, if I put it upright my Kobo HD will give me an image size of 1080 x 360 px. If I turn it by 90 degrees, I will get 1440 x 480 px, which means a picture area larger by 77.8%.

If you have a reader that does auto-rotate, you're perfectly right, of course. Hence: two versions needed.
Yes, but...I guess what I don't understand is, are you making this for yourself, or for others?

Why not embed it at 1440x480, and allow it to resize to the width of the portrait viewer when viewed that way? Won't it still be 1440x 480, when you rotate it back to your landscape view?

Hitch
Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but...I guess what I don't understand is, are you making this for yourself, or for others?

Why not embed it at 1440x480, and allow it to resize to the width of the portrait viewer when viewed that way? Won't it still be 1440x 480, when you rotate it back to your landscape view?

Hitch
Well, as with all the boks I've uploaded to the MR library, I did it for myself, but probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble if I couldn't also share it here.

I shouldn't have mentioned pixels; let's talk about centimetres. The screen of my Aura HD is roughly 10.4 x 13.8 cm, so the maximum size to be got out of the example picture is 13.8 x 4.6 cm. But since my reader doesn't auto-rotate the image, I can only get this size if I rotate it by 90 degrees before putting it in the book. If I didn't do this, I would only get to see the image at a size of 10.4 x 3.5 cm. All this has nothing to do with the resolution or pixel size of the image.

So this definitely means that for everybody to be able to enjoy the images at the maximum possible size, two versions of the book are required - one for auto-rotate readers, with all the images right side up, and one for non-auto-rotate readers, with images in landscape format rotated by 90 degrees.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Well, as with all the boks I've uploaded to the MR library, I did it for myself, but probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble if I couldn't also share it here.

I shouldn't have mentioned pixels; let's talk about centimetres. The screen of my Aura HD is roughly 10.4 x 13.8 cm, so the maximum size to be got out of the example picture is 13.8 x 4.6 cm. But since my reader doesn't auto-rotate the image, I can only get this size if I rotate it by 90 degrees before putting it in the book. If I didn't do this, I would only get to see the image at a size of 10.4 x 3.5 cm. All this has nothing to do with the resolution or pixel size of the image.

So this definitely means that for everybody to be able to enjoy the images at the maximum possible size, two versions of the book are required - one for auto-rotate readers, with all the images right side up, and one for non-auto-rotate readers, with images in landscape format rotated by 90 degrees.
Dubbs:

I honestly am completely confused by your post. Your Aura HD doesn't zoom? You can't tap it, zoom, and THEN rotate to see it better? Really? You're saying that if you tap or click (whichever) on the Aura, you then cannot rotate it, post-zooming, to see the image better? Or does the "set to not rotate" ALSO dictate what happens in your image zoomed view--assuming that exists?

And secondly, what the hell does your screen size, or autorotation, have to do with the maximum "size" you can see, of an image? Or the size it's embedded?

If you embed the image, at, hell, let's go hog-wild--2500 pixels wide, you're saying that you will still ONLY see it at 10.4 x 3.5cm, because you don't, or won't, or can't, rotate your device. So, because of your DEVICE SETTING, you're making two different books--instead of just making one book with full-sized images, and zooming? You can't zoom and rotate?

Is anyone else here that can explain what he means to me? I know we had an Aura here, but for the life of me, I don't remember anything, ANYTHING like this, that somehow, the size of the SCREEN limited what you could do with images.

Or is this all just so you don't have to turn off "don't rotate" on your Aura?

Hitch
Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
This thread references someone who says the Aura will auto-rotate pdf's but NOT epub's!! It's a year old so the device version may have updated since then...

Also, there appear to be tips-n-tricks in the kobo community on how to get your device to rotate, or not.

FWIW - I'm not a kobo user, just did a quick google.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

It's probably possible if you use the renderer for kepubs (zooming is possible with it), but zooming and auto-rotate are not possible with the standard epub RMSDK renderer. And there are several reasons why I don't want to bother with the kepub renderer.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
This thread references someone who says the Aura will auto-rotate pdf's but NOT epub's!! It's a year old so the device version may have updated since then...

Also, there appear to be tips-n-tricks in the kobo community on how to get your device to rotate, or not.

FWIW - I'm not a kobo user, just did a quick google.
AHAH. Sorry, I guess I should have done what Turtle did. (LMGTFY!!!). Bad Hitch. ;-)

Quote:
It's probably possible if you use the renderer for kepubs (zooming is possible with it), but zooming and auto-rotate are not possible with the standard epub RMSDK renderer. And there are several reasons why I don't want to bother with the kepub renderer.
I see. NOW I understand the issue. I swear, I didn't remember that it's not an option. I wonder where that is....it's around here someplace. (There are Hobbits, I tell you, that come in here and devices just...disappear, or something. Not the old ones, mind you--my K2 is still here, unmolested. The Device That Started It All. But I know there's another Kobo, beyond the Aura, and a KF8 device, an 8.9" someplace....hmmmmph.)

Thanks for the explanation. It was giving me forehead furrows.

Hitch
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Well, sorry for the headache, and thanks again! ...