Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I thought LibrarianSync required jailbreak? Never really bothered with jailbreaking my Kindle so now it's already too late (running 5.9.4).
Aren't you in the wrong forum then?
There are forums here, such as the main Kindle forum or the Calibre forum that would probably be the place about dealing with problems on a Kindle that is not jail broken.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Aren't you in the wrong forum then?
There are forums here, such as the main Kindle forum or the Calibre forum that would probably be the place about dealing with problems on a Kindle that is not jail broken.
I went here to see if there might be some hope for jailbreaking firmware higher than 5.8.7 because I was hoping to do the same as the OP (jb+Calibre Collections).

I actually have a couple of PW, a 5.8.9.2 and a 5.9.4. The wiki had conflicting info with some comment about higher fw versions being jailbreakable. Alas, there seems to be a stronger chance of bricking the Kindle on higher fw than there is of jailbreaking so that plan's shot. The rest was thread drift.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
I went here to see if there might be some hope for jailbreaking firmware higher than 5.8.7 because I was hoping to do the same as the OP (jb+Calibre Collections).

I actually have a couple of PW, a 5.8.9.2 and a 5.9.4. The wiki had conflicting info with some comment about higher fw versions being jailbreakable. Alas, there seems to be a stronger chance of bricking the Kindle on higher fw than there is of jailbreaking so that plan's shot. The rest was thread drift.
At this point the newer firmware can only be software jailbroken under exceptional circumstances.

If you truly need to jailbreak a PW at this point with newer firmware your only option is serial port access. This requires the proper hardware and the ability to work with tiny, delicate connections on the system board. If you are up to the challenge, or know someone who is, check out the thread on serial jailbreak.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
At this point the newer firmware can only be software jailbroken under exceptional circumstances.

If you truly need to jailbreak a PW at this point with newer firmware your only option is serial port access. This requires the proper hardware and the ability to work with tiny, delicate connections on the system board. If you are up to the challenge, or know someone who is, check out the thread on serial jailbreak.

Dave
Yep, saw the serial port jb. Alas, the one time I tried to replace a cracked LCD on a tablet, I managed to break the replacement LCD, too.

I'll just keep my PW on stock fw until a more reliable method of software jailbreaking is discovered.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
The wiki had conflicting info with some comment about higher fw versions being jailbreakable. Alas, there seems to be a stronger chance of bricking the Kindle on higher fw than there is of jailbreaking so that plan's shot. The rest was thread drift.
It is a Wiki page.
Fix it when you find a problem like that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is a Wiki page.
Fix it when you find a problem like that.
Given I didn't even try jail breaking because I got scared off with some reports of bricking, figured I'd leave the wiki editing to those with actual knowledge on the subject.