Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
surely the babysitters themselves should have learnt from their own mothers ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Okay, I'm new to this game, only been helping my lovely wife get her book(s) out to the world for a couple of months and I've only been here on the forums for a few days, but tell me I'm wrong in that I can see that I'll be butting-heads with a few other authors/publishers in the near future, even if I'm not looking for a fight.

What is it about some people that they seem so full of insecurity, bile and bitterness that they have to stomp their ground, puff their chest and snarl when they put down their opinon; staking an immediate claim of superiority on all fronts even when no one was making such stakeouts.

Really people... we're all here for a common thing, to share our works with the world and to hopefully make a living off it. People can read more than just one book, so it's not like another publisher/author is going to steal that sale.

LOL

(Btw, you misspelled "opinion.")
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, it takes all kinds to make a membership approaching 60,000. I've seen more common courtesy, mutual interest and generous sharing here, though, than flaming, discouragement and mean-minded selfishness. If it were otherwise, MR wouldn't have become my virtual pub. Cheers and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yup, it takes all kinds to make a membership approaching 60,000. I've seen more common courtesy, mutual interest and generous sharing here, though, than flaming, discouragement and mean-minded selfishness. Neil
True, but the flame wars here are played at a higher level intellectually. On the usenet, posters do not quote Schopenhauer or Nietzsche on a regular basis. When you mix emotion with intellect, it makes for a volatile combination. Just search for all the threads that have been closed.

We may be the most over-educated collection of individuals on the internet. This makes Mobileread an excellent training ground for any profession that may entail argument. Good practice for lawyers, legislators, debaters, authors, and even scientists. Ever met a writer who was not opinionated? Doubtful.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
jamesread
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
True, but the flame wars here are played at a higher level intellectually. On the usenet, posters do not quote Schopenhauer or Nietzsche on a regular basis. When you mix emotion with intellect, it makes for a volatile combination. Just search for all the threads that have been closed.

We may be the most over-educated collection of individuals on the internet. This makes Mobileread an excellent training ground for any profession that may entail argument. Good practice for lawyers, legislators, debaters, authors, and even scientists. Ever met a writer who was not opinionated? Doubtful.
I agree with you.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post

Boy, am I in the wrong place!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Edwards View Post
wow. that is so true. I come from a generation that was taught common courtesy. But that has diminished since most of the women of my generation have either opted to or had to join the workforce. I guess the "babysitters" just weren't as interested in instilling common courtesy in children as their mothers.
Yeah, those stupid women and their stupid desires. They should stay in the home and make babies and iron the sheets.

Was this statement meant to be courteous? Blaming an entire generation of women for working? Your generation isn't more polite, it's just more steathly about being rude/vindictive.

Perhaps if you take a step back you'll see that it's common for cultures to relax their social norms and behaviors. And guess what? I'm a woman wearing a dress with NO STOCKINGS right now. My grandmother would have a fit if she could see me.

Last edited by queentess; 09-23-2010 at 02:40 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
jamesread
Banned

The OP is mad his thread got taken off course. Now it's about stockings.

Last edited by jamesread; 09-23-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: "stockings"
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesread View Post
The OP is mad his thread got taken off course. Now it's about stockings.
At least it's not about stalkings.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
jamesread
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
But Jack and the Giant Bean Stalk is a classic.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Boy, am I in the wrong place!
You and me, both, Lass !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle
There's been dramaz here?

Say it isn't so!
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
...**poke poke** .... I see you

PS/Mr. PLD, don't take this place too serious. We're all here to have fun. I think most of the overly obnoxious trolls get squashed in due course and you're left with just a bunch of opinionated old fuddy-duddies that remember the glory days of when you used to read something called paper!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #29
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
*yawwwwn* :wakes up:

Oh dear God! What have you kids done to my room!?

(Going off for a coffee.... after I've had my 'getting older' bowl of bran cereal and banana)
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
*yawwwwn* :wakes up:

Oh dear God! What have you kids done to my room!?

(Going off for a coffee.... after I've had my 'getting older' bowl of bran cereal and banana)
HA! THAT'LL teach you to start a thread and leave.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote